Reef snails?

  • Thread starter Thread starter LittleRed
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

LittleRed

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 22, 2014
Messages
129
Reaction score
10
Location
NC
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for snails that graze algae and would natural occur in a reef ecosystem. If they breed in captivity that is a +! I've been doing research and most of the astrea etc snails don't naturally occur in reefs and when they fall they can't right themselves. I've had astrea, trochus, cerith, margarita, and turbos and I'm just not satisfied with them. If they fall and I don't right them they are likely to die. I've read about Columbellid sp. snails also called dove snails but I can't find any. They have flatter shells, graze, and will reproduce in a tank. Anyone know of any snails like what I want and where to buy them? Thanks!
 
My trochus never fall and they fend off hermits quite well, plus they breed in captivity.
 
Don't get nassarius snails tho they don't eat algae just leftover food and they stir the sand. But they flip themselves very very well they never get stuck
 
That's quite a list of different species you've tried. I would say if your not satisfied with them, consider another animal besides snails. Maybe a fish or something.
Nerites will breed in captivity and flip themselves if they fall on their back :)
 
I only buy trochus now. Can flip over, good grazers, can spin off hermits and breed in my tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 9.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.2%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new