Reef2Reef Pest algae challenge thread hydrogen peroxide

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on Sunday I did 3 test rocks. One rasped and spot treated with peroxide, one with peroxide dumped on it and one is in my qt tank and I have been adding 1 capful of peroxide every morning. So a little more than 1ml of peroxide in the 10 gallon tank.

The rasped rock and one dunked in peroxide are very white and nothing has started growing back on them yet. The one where the peroxide is added to the water looks like it has no change...
90404b36281d3d1c429c91d1a817b921.jpg

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey that's a tough target so far to have weathered the 1:10

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on Sunday I did 3 test rocks. One rasped and spot treated with peroxide, one with peroxide dumped on it and one is in my qt tank and I have been adding 1 capful of peroxide every morning. So a little more than 1ml of peroxide in the 10 gallon tank.

The rasped rock and one dunked in peroxide are very white and nothing has started growing back on them yet. The one where the peroxide is added to the water looks like it has no change...
90404b36281d3d1c429c91d1a817b921.jpg

There was a point prior to my first rip cleaning and sand rinsing that I dosed up to 10ml of peroxide a day and barley got a change in my 12g cube which holds 8g of water for around a month I am not sure where my log of it is. at 10 ml my anemones started to get upset and I gave in defeated and rip cleaned lol

That is a touch rock to get that off of for sure.

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning tank update. Coraline is a fragment of its former glory. Birdsnest shed a little of its skin. Duncan is looking better. Monti has a few tiny pin points of pigment. Anemones are looking ok. Frog spawn is about 30-40% of ita normal self. Fed reef roids and my frozen cube mix.

Tested nitrite and nitrate and it seems perfect with prime in the water cant get a viable test till 11am.
20190719_052829.jpg
20190719_052835.jpg
20190719_052851.jpg
20190719_052858.jpg

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch coralline~ starts to come back in same spots by end of Aug let’s check fingers crossed

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a point prior to my first rip cleaning and sand rinsing that I dosed up to 10ml of peroxide a day and barley got a change in my 12g cube which holds 8g of water for around a month I am not sure where my log of it is. at 10 ml my anemones started to get upset and I gave in defeated and rip cleaned lol

That is a touch rock to get that off of for sure.
Ya I'm not sure what to do. I upped the dose to two capfulls this morning. I will see if that does anything.

I have been trying to spot treat some places in the main tank. Between that and boiling ro water I am slowly making a dent in it.

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked perameters and ammonia is still up at 2.0 looked around the tank couls not find any source of ammonia only two snails left but both acounted for. Nitrite and nitrates good.

Grabed a handful of sand and droped no cloud clean as a whistle still.

Did a 50% wc and dosed prime again .

Should I be doing anything different or keep on this track? Of testing and wcs to mitigate issue.

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended my experiment with the rock in my qt tank where I would add 1ml of peroxide to the tank a day. The peroxide didn't kill the algae, but it weakened it enough that a quick scrub removed most of it.

Now that test rocks are done what's next?

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so for a third day in a row I have done 50% wc everyday and I keep testing every 24 hours. Ammonia is a steady 2.0 nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 0-5. could My cycle be bad? should I dose some bacteria to be on the safe side? I have a bottle of dr tims one and only on hand.

Thanks in advance

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is still at 2.0, spot feeding reef roids every two days. Use some seachem zoo plankton at 1ml and seachem reef plus at 1ml. The corals are opening up and looking better. The two war corals are dark, one has a tiny spec of green coming back. The mont is still white. The rocks seem to have a sort of brown diatom starting to build on them. would you consider this normal? Dosed 10ml of Dr tims one and only to see if it helps with the ammonia. Will start doing 25-50% water changes every 48 hours vs every 24 hours. any recommendations are welcome. Would increasing the flow rate from my current 24x to 38x help? was thinking of adding a additional power head to get better tank circulation

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kept getting 2.0 ammonia for monday to wensday. Poured a small bottle of dr tims one and done to help the bacteria just in case I put a dent in it with the concentration of peroxide or die off of small critters. Tested my water again today ammonia is down to 0.25 ppm nitrite is at about .5 - 1.0 nitrate is still at 0 -5 ppm.

@brandon429
Do you think they cycle could have died? Should I keep wc to beat out the nitrites or just dose seachem prime and do it once a week to allow thwm to rebuild their population?

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update tank seems to be doing good, Brown diatom bloom is in effect on the rocks. I just rub the rock and it comes off. Should I brush it off the rocks or should I let it run its course?

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always keep the hand guiding going, its export of mass that usually just rots in the tank and contributes to detritus loading if we leave it in. My own tank is due for a substrate swap coming up in a couple weeks, I think this particular bed is about 36 mos old now and it was cruddy during my last water change, kicked up a bunch of clouding when I poured back in. preventative maintenance time, so your tank Xiholdtruex might need the same continued guidance, hand removal of anything we didn't pay money to be entertained by

tiny peroxide update for my tank: I used 35% direct put right across some high end monti frags where GHA had seated into the side of the frag plug and directly onto the edge of the coral where some tissue had died off. the gha would grow long and stay in that spot, but it was annoying so I poured 35% across it and the polyps were 50% covered in frothing dangerous 35%, I wondered if it would kill them or not.

rinsed em off in sw quickly, and in 3 days harmless. the only bare spots on the sps flesh were the original GHA anchor points. space just got taken back by force...now the coral flesh overgrows that tiny anchor spot and that was my first GHA management in about 5 yrs. hand guiding dwindles down to nothing eventually, but its earned.

During the first couple years, I earned my non invaded reef it wasn't luck, I'm never that lucky.

My detritus spike recently came from nearly bleaching my whole tank due to heater malfunction...micro dieoff increased and wound up as extra mass in the sandbed / detritus

Vs just keeping it for internal decay, the response to the heater upset, and following environmental adjust and final waste load, is a rip clean. I’ll take out rocks and adhered corals and wash them in clean saltwater to evacuate detritus. Replace my sandbed with heavily pre rinsed ocean direct Caribsea, all set till 2021

Last edited:

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always keep the hand guiding going, its export of mass that usually just rots in the tank and contributes to detritus loading if we leave it in. My own tank is due for a substrate swap coming up in a couple weeks, I think this particular bed is about 36 mos old now and it was cruddy during my last water change, kicked up a bunch of clouding when I poured back in. preventative maintenance time, so your tank Xiholdtruex might need the same continued guidance, hand removal of anything we didn't pay money to be entertained by

tiny peroxide update for my tank: I used 35% direct put right across some high end monti frags where GHA had seated into the side of the frag plug and directly onto the edge of the coral where some tissue had died off. the gha would grow long and stay in that spot, but it was annoying so I poured 35% across it and the polyps were 50% covered in frothing dangerous 35%, I wondered if it would kill them or not.

rinsed em off in sw quickly, and in 3 days harmless. the only bare spots on the sps flesh were the original GHA anchor points. space just got taken back by force...now the coral flesh overgrows that tiny anchor spot and that was my first GHA management in about 5 yrs. hand guiding dwindles down to nothing eventually, but its earned.

During the first couple years, I earned my non invaded reef it wasn't luck, I'm never that lucky.

Definetly hand guiding is king. Tested prior to my water change and ammonia and nitrites at 0 again. Used a turkey baster and blasted all the rock work every two days along with sucking the sand bed into the turkey baster and releasing to ensure any detritus is suspended and removed. let it run and tossed the filter floss the next day. Brown diatoms seem to be dissapearing.

Looked at my rockwork today and its covered in a ton of baby trochus snails and are eating the diatoms. My system seems to be leveling off. Going to start epoxing my rock together to be able to remove it anf scrub any detritus off the rock work and rinse prior to rinsing sand and reassembling the tank.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be dinos, nice that you originally took control to prevent full takeover. After cleaning, it went a while and barely comes back, mass is less, simply clean again until it stops...benefit of nano owning. Hand guiding means we address until an invasion abates, we rarely collect one off cures with peroxide especially after something builds up. Cyclic / takes some effort to guide depending on invader species

how about coral losses from the peroxide, how did those pan out over time/they healed up ok?

Next step for tighter controls if you want, per sand rinse thread, is take your sandbed out a while and put it back only when the rocks do not express the invader (it would be put back full new rinsed)

Working in partial moves will never beat full-move options for nano control. You can also partially clean sand if you want, but I never would. Any invasion that lands in my house is beaten overnite, no playing around lol yep

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be dinos, nice that you originally took control to prevent full takeover. After cleaning, it went a while and barely comes back, mass is less, simply clean again until it stops...benefit of nano owning. Hand guiding means we address until an invasion abates, we rarely collect one off cures with peroxide especially after something builds up. Cyclic / takes some effort to guide depending on invader species

how about coral losses from the peroxide, how did those pan out over time/they healed up ok?

Next step for tighter controls if you want, per sand rinse thread, is take your sandbed out a while and put it back only when the rocks do not express the invader (it would be put back full new rinsed)

Working in partial moves will never beat full-move options for nano control. You can also partially clean sand if you want, but I never would. Any invasion that lands in my house is beaten overnite, no playing around lol yep

It was just powdery brown diatoms at the moment, the corals so far are coming back, the coraline is also coming back, without a filter on my camera the blue light takes away from how it really looks. The diatoms seem to be diappearing. Perameters in my tank are currently

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 10ppm
Po4 .1ppm
Ph 8.0
Sg 1.026

Feeding 3times a week mysis with a 1/8 of a teaspoon reef roids mixed in and adding 1ml of zoo planlton and amino every 7 days. I will be due for my 1 year anniversary of rip cleaning soon and it will get it again to keep the reef clean.

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
week 4 update
Tested water prior to my weekly water change.

Sg- 1.026
Ph 8.0
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite- 0ppm
Nitrate - 5-10ppm
Po4 - 0.03ppm
Dkh - 10.2
Ca - 400ppm
Mag - 1260

2.5g water change

light cycle is at 6hours and 30minutes

spot feeding every coral every other day with frozen foods from the san fransico bay brand mixed with a bit of reef roids, alternating between mysis, brine, plankton, and emerald entree. using 1ml of seachem reef plus, seachem phyto plankton and seachem zoo plankton. added 4x4x4 hob refugium lighting 12 hours a day with a golf ball size of clean chaetomorpha and diatoms are all gone it has almost grown to fill the entire box in a week.

any input is welcome to aid in recovery. I can honestly say that with the heavy feeding The coral coloration on the rock flower anemones , duncan and frog spawn is looking extra vibrant. once my camera filters come in I can get a better picture and video. when the lights are on the pics and video does not do it justice.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back