shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my current 6-foot shallow reef tank setup for about 2.5 years now... and its time for a bit of a do-over... Now i didn't really plan on upgrading or changing my tank as I love it! However, due to a hazy line in the glass, the tank builder was going to replace the tank.

I'm sure you all know how much work it is to replace a tank (especially when it's going in the exact same spot!) .. So if i'm going to go through all this work.. then i should sneak in an upgrade right? it only makes sense!

For V2 I'm going 5" wider, 4" taller and 1.5" longer. Its not a huge difference but it will add about 60g to my tanks o in that aspect its a decent volume upgrade!

In the past, I have not been the best at updating my build threads.. I tend to put most of my content on youtube and instagram.. however this time I'm going to make the effort to update R2R as well!

6' Shallow Reef V1
RD_04265_small.png

RD_04264_small.png

Being a bit of a second chance to redo the build I have learned a few things to tweak the next build:

Rather than bolting my light bar to the stand I asked to have a square tube to drop in the vertical bar which should free up an extra 1.5" for display space!

Redundant Everything: This includes return pumps, so I picked up a second Ecotech Vectra and had an extra return hole drilled.

I realized I don't change socks nearly as much as I should.... so I made the plunge to a filter roller. I Picked up a Clarisea at MACNA.. I'm excited to unbox it and get it set up soon! (itching to get the new tank!)

I'm also testing out an algae turf scrubber right now. I have been back and forth on them vs a refugium, I appreciate how they contain it all and keep the sump more pristine.. but time will tell as im still testing it all out.

The current tank is already overbuilt at 15mm glass... the new one will be 19mm (its what they had in stock) so overkill? yep... But my Tank will be built like a TANK! I also decided to 45 the corners on the peninsula end as I think it will give it a pristine look

glass1.JPG

The will be against the wall for now but its built as a peninsula to accommodate its long-term home which will be replacing the banister at the top of the stairs.
The current stand is black.. I decided to go with White for V2 as it will give it a fresh look and reflect more light into the stairway in its future home.

tank1.JPG

tankl2.JPG

My goal is not to have any equipment visible on the far end of the peninsuala.. this has always caused a slight issue for a bit of a protein layer building up on the far end .. you dont see it top down but you do looking bottom up. I'm hoping the dual return nozels can help with this .. possibly alternate which pup pushes flow.. will take some experimenting.

I do really like my current aquascape, however, I also feel limited by it. every time i buy a new Frag its a struggle to find a spot to put it! That and i feel there is the odd tail slap between the tangs over the prime caves... My original plan was to just move my current scape over .. but now im debating if i should "start fresh" with new rock and a brand new scape. I do kinda like the flatter shelf looking rock from Marco rock... so I may go that route..

endcap.JPG

It seems a bit silly to start over but it would also be fun to have a "fresh start".... Decision decisions!

I'm also trying to figure out what to Skin the stand with.. I had the steel stand powder coated white.. The current stand is just a sheet of cabinet grade plywood stained black.. i want something "nicer" for V2.. but what? tbd! A sheet of white acrylic? Get a fancy panel? any suggestions?

maevepotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell me how you go about making your own tank in detail? Where you source material, cost, method? I assume you have special tools?

OP
OP
shiftline

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, Im having Concept Aquariums built it for me. They did a fantastic job on the current tank!

If you did want to DIY it I would get a glass company to cut/polish the glass for you then just glue (silicone) your self.. however on a large system its a lot of water volume to gamble on! On a small tank.. sure but on a large reef I would rather ensure its done right :)

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, Im having Concept Aquariums built it for me. They did a fantastic job on the current tank!

If you did want to DIY it I would get a glass company to cut/polish the glass for you then just glue (silicone) your self.. however on a large system its a lot of water volume to gamble on! On a small tank.. sure but on a large reef I would rather ensure its done right :)

Are you going with the 45 degree corners? I think the would look pretty cool:)

tiomm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're thinking of a new scape you should check out Caribseas Life Rock "Shapes".
They look very cool and dramatic.
Billy Pipes praises it in his latest video too. Check it out and decide for yourself and good luck with the upgrade.

OP
OP
shiftline

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going with the 45 degree corners? I think the would look pretty cool:)
I sure did! I think it will add a little extra something special to it when viewing the peninsula end!

If you're thinking of a new scape you should check out Caribseas Life Rock "Shapes".
They look very cool and dramatic.
Billy Pipes praises it in his latest video too. Check it out and decide for yourself and good luck with the upgrade.
I used the caribsea liverock shapes in my RedSea Nano! its awesome rock.. it looks aged and natural right off the bat! And its extremely easy to aquascape with.

If I do decide to do all new rock/scape (which I'm leaning towards) i'm currently debating between Liferock Shapes

Or Marco rock shelfscape which i saw/was playing with at MACNA
marco-rock.jpg

it will be one of the two once i figure out which way to go.

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure did! I think it will add a little extra something special to it when viewing the peninsula end!

Get some close ups of the 45 when the tank is delivered. I would like to see that.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great images. The original tank looks awesome. Thanks for sharing your new tank plans!

OP
OP
shiftline

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After giving old co2 tank a cleaning/fill I used some enamel paint to freshen it up. Then just shot it with a clear coat. I think it turned out pretty well and should look awesome in the new stand!

Who said calcium reactors can’t be sexy!
96b1d5e46a7eed82327c87be147b8a35.jpg

Last edited:

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After giving old co2 tank a cleaning/fill I used some enable paint to freshen it up. Then just shot it with a clear coat. I think it turned out pretty well and should look awesome in the new stand!

Who said calcium reactors can’t be sexy!
96b1d5e46a7eed82327c87be147b8a35.jpg

Going through all that work to make things look pretty might as well leave the stand skinless so everyone can see all that hard work;) And I might have missed it but what are the current dimensions of your tank?

OP
OP
shiftline

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going through all that work to make things look pretty might as well leave the stand skinless so everyone can see all that hard work;)
That would save me a lot of money! haha.
So far all of the nicer side panels I look at are not cheap!

I'm still on the hunt for some kind of happy medium to skin it.. I do use my tank for a lot of youtube videos so I want this build to be extra nice!!

Keeping it classy!

OP
OP
shiftline

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would save me a lot of money! haha.
So far all of the nicer side panels I look at are not cheap!

I'm still on the hunt for some kind of happy medium to skin it.. I do use my tank for a lot of youtube videos so I want this build to be extra nice!!

Keeping it classy!

Someone REALLY wants to know the dimensions of your new tank;) and could always go with simple white acrylic panels with recessed magnets, Simple, clean and easy to remove.

OP
OP
shiftline

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone REALLY wants to know the dimensions of your new tank;) and could always go with simple white acrylic panels with recessed magnets, Simple, clean and easy to remove.

Yes he did! lol

Acrylic is my backup plan. water proof! . Thick enough to recess magnets might be pricey though!

There is also a PVC board that i'm curious about but have not seen any in person to know how the finish looks

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what happened. I only posted once. Was underground on the subway. Something wacky happened. Mods please delete my duplicate questions.

Last edited:

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes he did! lol

Acrylic is my backup plan. water proof! . Thick enough to recess magnets might be pricey though!

There is also a PVC board that i'm curious about but have not seen any in person to know how the finish looks

PVC would be nice, both are a little pricey but totally worth it IMO. And just ask @cromag27 for some magnets, he's got the good stuff ;)

Not sure what happened. I only posted once. Was underground on the subway. Something wacky happened. Mods please delete my duplicate questions.

I was just having a little fun, connection mishaps happen ALL the time:)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back