Reefer 170....Nero 5? MP10?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Reefer 170 is being reborn. Will be bare bottom, mostly LPS with a few montipora.

I used a Tunze 6095 last time. Love Tunze products. It was left over from a larger tank and worked ok, but was too strong and directional in part because I had sand.

I am considering an MP 10 or Nero 5 for broader flow this time.

MP10 max glass thickness is 9.5mm and the tank is 10mm. Issue?

BRS community input appreciated....

OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you love Tunze, then consider two 6040's. If you have an apex, then there's lots of programs for custom flow patterns for the Tunze's. Just another option to consider. Gyre is another option too.

I have never used a 6040. I’ll check them out.

Bronx_Discuss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can do without a wave maker that would be my choice. The tank is not that big and if you just get a better/ stronger return pump you can convert the nozzle of the nozzle to a dual and just get some loc-lines to direct the flow. Get one of those random flow nozzles to randomize the flow. Thoughts? I’m really shooting for the clean look since the tank is small anything in the tank would stand out.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can do without a wave maker that would be my choice. The tank is not that big and if you just get a better/ stronger return pump you can convert the nozzle of the nozzle to a dual and just get some loc-lines to direct the flow. Get one of those random flow nozzles to randomize the flow. Thoughts? I’m really shooting for the clean look since the tank is small anything in the tank would stand out.
I was thinking that early on with my RSR170, which is why I also had a Tunze 6015 (475 GPH AC power head) in my display early on. Was hoping it could supplement the MP10 or perhaps do the job itself if I took out the MP10. I found a wave maker function to be very important to my coral health. The same direction all the time you get from AC pumps really hurt some of my corals (blew off tissue even at low flow, prevented extension). I'm sure a flow director on a return nozzle could help, but didn't try one so won't comment.

My 6015 is now doing a fine job in my sump keeping the debris in the water column.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Reefer 170 is being reborn. Will be bare bottom, mostly LPS with a few montipora.

I used a Tunze 6095 last time. Love Tunze products. It was left over from a larger tank and worked ok, but was too strong and directional in part because I had sand.

I am considering an MP 10 or Nero 5 for broader flow this time.

MP10 max glass thickness is 9.5mm and the tank is 10mm. Issue?

BRS community input appreciated....
I have 2 mp10s on my 170, I haven’t had any issues, works well. I’ve had them on sides across from each other and also on the back glass. I prefer the back glass. SPS, LPS and a clam.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back