ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We started with a pretty standard 2x6 frame for plenty of support for good sleep at night
Cutting the floor out, thanks to a buddy who helped me it fit like a glove!
See! Like a glove! So I decided to go with a 47" tall stand so if you add the 16" aquarium depth you're left with 63" to the top..I know what you're thinking..that's pretty high..at almost 4 ft tall to the top of the stand and over 5 ft to the top of the tank it really took away from the appeal of a "shallow" tank! I had spent almost 6 hours and a couple hundred dollars building a stand that was TOO TALL, as soon as everyone saw it they said " wow that's pretty high up", it didn't have the wow factor of a shallow tank anymore, what was I gonna do?!? My girlfriend stands at 5'2" and my kids at about 4 ft, and they wouldn't get the effect at all, I thought on it for a weeks and lost sleep over it every night. ☹️ So I did what I had to do and took it back to the shop and tore it down (carefully) and took 7 inches out of it!

This time when I put the top on I cut the hole out for the overflow and return lines. I did more of a triangle than a hole, a hole saw was not available at the time and I got impatient. Also, in this picture you can see the window I put down on the end of the stand if I decide to set it up in a peninsula style position, mainly for controllers or just a different view of the sump and equipment etc.
The height was now around 40 inches, 56 at the top of the glass, it was perfect! Not only could I now access everything in the display tank without bending over but my kids and girlfriend loved the new height as well.As you can see on the right side of this pic, I used that wheel cart to move the stand as it weighs probably 200+ lbs.
After staring at the tank for a few days it was clear I needed a bar top- of course right??
I did some more research at lowes and snagged a damaged piece of sheet laminate for around 50 bucks for a 4'x8' sheet. I picked up some more 3/4 inch pre finished plywood at the local cabinet shop and with more help from a friend made the top. I'll explain it in detail since I forgot to take pics of the process. I knew the dimensions of my tank were 48.5"x 24.5" so I just decided to bump that up by 10"inches all around to give me an overhang of about 5 inches. The edges are doubled up to give an 1.5" (inch and a half) lip. The lip is doubled up only about 4 inches in, it's NOT two whole 58x34 pieces of plywood. Anyway, this is how far I am on it as of today. Next up is finishing the stand with paint and trim, maybe some nice doors. I'm open to all questions and critics! FOLLOW ALONG

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We started with a pretty standard 2x6 frame for plenty of support for good sleep at night
Cutting the floor out, thanks to a buddy who helped me it fit like a glove!
See! Like a glove! So I decided to go with a 47" tall stand so if you add the 16" aquarium depth you're left with 63" to the top..I know what you're thinking..that's pretty high..at almost 4 ft tall to the top of the stand and over 5 ft to the top of the tank it really took away from the appeal of a "shallow" tank! I had spent almost 6 hours and a couple hundred dollars building a stand that was TOO TALL, as soon as everyone saw it they said " wow that's pretty high up", it didn't have the wow factor of a shallow tank anymore, what was I gonna do?!? My girlfriend stands at 5'2" and my kids at about 4 ft, and they wouldn't get the effect at all, I thought on it for a weeks and lost sleep over it every night. ☹️ So I did what I had to do and took it back to the shop and tore it down (carefully) and took 7 inches out of it!

This time when I put the top on I cut the hole out for the overflow and return lines. I did more of a triangle than a hole, a hole saw was not available at the time and I got impatient. Also, in this picture you can see the window I put down on the end of the stand if I decide to set it up in a peninsula style position, mainly for controllers or just a different view of the sump and equipment etc.
The height was now around 40 inches, 56 at the top of the glass, it was perfect! Not only could I now access everything in the display tank without bending over but my kids and girlfriend loved the new height as well.As you can see on the right side of this pic, I used that wheel cart to move the stand as it weighs probably 200+ lbs.
After staring at the tank for a few days it was clear I needed a bar top- of course right??
I did some more research at lowes and snagged a damaged piece of sheet laminate for around 50 bucks for a 4'x8' sheet. I picked up some more 3/4 inch pre finished plywood at the local cabinet shop and with more help from a friend made the top. I'll explain it in detail since I forgot to take pics of the process. I knew the dimensions of my tank were 48.5"x 24.5" so I just decided to bump that up by 10"inches all around to give me an overhang of about 5 inches. The edges are doubled up to give an 1.5" (inch and a half) lip. The lip is doubled up only about 4 inches in, it's NOT two whole 58x34 pieces of plywood. Anyway, this is how far I am on it as of today. Next up is finishing the stand with paint and trim, maybe some nice doors. I'm open to all questions and critics! FOLLOW ALONG

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, sorry everyone, hopefully you can figure out the ****** start to posting my build on here. If anyone has any tips to posting with an iPhone, let me know.

iLLwiLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love those deep blue 80's, I just upgraded to one myself. Mind if I ask why you left such small openings in your stand?

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably add another opening on the other side, I could make them bigger. That's a good suggestion since I'll probably be under there quite a bit. I used a standard size cabinet opening since I'll probably put doors, I'm open to any suggestions though! Thanks!

iLLwiLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like having as much access down there as possible. The next stand I build will have removable magnetic panels instead of doors.

MattyBoomBatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like one sturdy mammer jammer. You are off to a great start! What do you have in mind for equipment?

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good! I recently bought this tank but bought the version that doesn't have any overflows so I can go peninsula style. Will be fun for me to start a thread here in a couple weeks and be able to check out another new DB 80. :)

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like one sturdy mammer jammer. You are off to a great start! What do you have in mind for equipment?
Yeah, I may have overdone it, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't worried it would break the stand, 720+ lbs is a lot. As far as equipment, my main research so far has been on lights, I'm thinking two AI hydra 52 HDs would look nice. Eshopps rs-200 sump( unless I decide to go DIY)
Tunze ATO-DUHHH:)
Jebao wavemakers- a lot of ppl tend to go vortech mp series but I love my jebao and think it does everything the vortechs do for a fraction of the price.
Definitely goin Real Reef Rock, the artificial stuff, no hitchhikers :)
That's really all I've got to research so far. Suggestions would be appreciated.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I recently bought this tank but bought the version that doesn't have any overflows so I can go peninsula style. Will be fun for me to start a thread here in a couple weeks and be able to check out another new DB 80. :)

I'm goin peninsula style also, I don't see why an overflow would stop you from doin that? Make sure you make your stand 40 inches or under lol. I'm looking forward to following along! You may get the jump on me, I live in the penthouse so I'm not setting up until I'm ground floor.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm goin peninsula style also, I don't see why an overflow would stop you from doin that? Make sure you make your stand 40 inches or under lol. I'm looking forward to following along! You may get the jump on me, I live in the penthouse so I'm not setting up until I'm ground floor.
Nothing stopping you with the corner overflow, I'm just going for a slightly cleaner look by doing a smaller install drilled through the side as opposed to the bottom. I built my stand 40" tall and live on the third floor. Planning to add water some time next week. Floors are concrete though!

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing stopping you with the corner overflow, I'm just going for a slightly cleaner look by doing a smaller install drilled through the side as opposed to the bottom. I built my stand 40" tall and live on the third floor. Planning to add water some time next week. Floors are concrete though!
I have concrete floors also, you trust it? That's a lot of weight :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back