reefers with mandarin fish, how do you Quarantine?

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I've been feeding my tank seachem zooplankton for 2 weeks now. Today i saw lots of them little dots (we all want in our tanks) moving on my glass. I am unable to take a good pic due to the thickness of my tank's glass but I recognized them as i've had ;WootCopepods in my coral QT before.
instantly i thought time to get a mandarin but then i realized there are no pods in the fish QT except a coral beauty.

So, my fellow reefers with mandarins in your tanks, how did you quarantine your mandarins/scooter drangonets?
also, if you have managed to get them to eat frozen or pellet foods, how did you go about it? if you have already posted your stories then just link them in you post pls.

thanks & happy reefing.
this is the best ;Photogenic i could take.
1611299431054.jpg

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin is the one fish that should not be QT'ed unless your QT tank is full of pods.

They have a very thick slime coat that renders them pretty resistant to most fish diseases. This does not mean they cannot get them, it just is less likely.

Because of their specialized feeding regime, most do not QT them.

OP
OP
Sam816

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin is the one fish that should not be QT'ed unless your QT tank is full of pods.

They have a very thick slime coat that renders them pretty resistant to most fish diseases. This does not mean they cannot get them, it just is less likely.

Because of their specialized feeding regime, most do not QT them.
But can they carry ich with them? Stuck in the slime coat or in their mouths/fins etc?
I have some pods in my coral QT. Shall I put it in there and observe? Maybe try getting him to eat brine shrimp or/and blood worms?

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But can they carry ich with them? Stuck in the slime coat or in their mouths/fins etc?
I have some pods in my coral QT. Shall I put it in there and observe? Maybe try getting him to eat brine shrimp or/and blood worms?
If ich is your concern, I hate to be the bearer of bad news... it’s already present in your system. Flukes are usually my biggest concern with new fish.

the last mandarin(and scooter blenny) I owned was more than happy to eat frozen food and pods. Smaller Mysis or omega brine typically works for finicky eaters.

OP
OP
Sam816

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No QT but do you guys dip your mandarin in anything else? Freshwater dip or methylene blue or api stress coat etc?

bigkamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got two myself they came in lower salinity @ 1.0202 so the in crease to my 1.026 was IMO enough as the same reasons the others stated... and I don’t have corals yet either so I was t even worried... even right after the removal of store ride home unbagging, alc, they went in the big tank in an hour/ 1.5ish and started eating live brine instantly literally they looked around a bit where dancing together in the small alc tank think I have for small fish saw the shrimp and started plucking away... today they are chilling with fat bellies looking around their new digs

bigkamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized my videos don’t upload why is that? It just shows the play button crossed out...

OP
OP
Sam816

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized my videos don’t upload why is that? It just shows the play button crossed out...
It's uploaded as attachment. I can right-click n save to my phone and watch.
Is your mandarin tank raised?

bigkamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's uploaded as attachment. I can right-click n save to my phone and watch.
Is your mandarin tank raised?
I’m not sure new fish store they were nice but I don’t remember if I asked it’s was busy but I asked for pods or where theirs are they didn’t have any and showed me the brine and fed the four they had all four ate... would have bought them all but I got what I could turns out I scored cause they all were supposed to be female I had a hunch about the one hiding his fin turns out I was right they are gonna make babies I just know it lol I really hope so and I’m thinking there are tank raised with the ease of everything I’ve read horror stories about them never eating anything but pods which the owner never got/had reasonable access to... would probably make breeding easier too... they literally danced in 2.5 inch of water it wasn’t a stress movement they looked at each other for the first time and swirled was awesome and have been laying together since except when eating...

bigkamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They r from a cool lil place on the black horse like in Williamstown NJ... 17.99$ a piece! Eating well and most likely CB... I’m going back to clean them out every order they get in after I finish adding the rock scape and seed enough for an entire army of these dudes and the spotteds, reds, a bunch of bright cool gobbies too the weird ones not the plan spongebob lookin ones lol and some sea horse and a freakin dory I promised lol

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back