ReefFlo vs Iwaki

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for users experience with the ReefFlo pumps. Specifically, I'm looking into the HammerHead/Barracude Gold. My only concern here is the leaking of the seals, which I've read enough to know it is a problem. But how often does this happen, and how much does it cost to replace the seals.

The Iwaki pumps would be my other option, and those definitely seem to be the better pump; but the extra power draw would cost $1,000+ of dollars more over a 4-5 year span then the ReefFlo.

I'm leaning towards the ReefFlo for the fact it has a little higher GPH output and much less wattage. But looking for others with experience to try and talk me out of it. :).

Note: I'll be setting up a 225 Gallon Tank with a 100 Gallon Basement Sump, needing to push the water up from the basement.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my experience so far, I've been running a Reeflo Dart/Snapper Hybrid for almost 5 years now without an incident. I do have a spare seal kit on hand just in case. A quick search shows the spare seal kit to still be in the $20 to $30 range. Now here's the kicker, I don't do feed cycles! That will cause the shaft seals to wear out quicker than just continuously running. It is the break out friction on start up that does the most damage to the seals. (Forty years working in an hydraulic engineering research and development lab was at least good for that little bit of knowledge.:winking-face-with-tongue:)

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reeflo I ever used was crap. Too much heat, noise, was almost glad when they prematurely crapped out. Think Jebao is better quality. Although would not recommend a dc pump for hi head.

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the hammerhead/barracuda gold and now use an Iwaki. The Reeflo was a solid pump for sure, but as you are aware, the seals will leak after a couple years and you’ll need to replace the seal. Not too big of a deal, but if I could choose between changing a seal or not, I would not. FYI - I did not run feed cycles either, just a constant flow all the time and it still leaked every couple years. The leak is just a slight drip/salt creep and nothing catastrophic by any means.

I’ve been running an Iwaki for over 3 years now, and it is awesome. I literally do no maintenance on it (although I should periodically clean it), and it keeps chugging along with no issues at all.

You can’t really go wrong between the two, but I personally prefer the Iwaki.

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also mention that I only changed to the Iwaki because I downsized tanks, and I didn’t need as much flow. I also have a basement sump, so I still needed a high pressure pump even though I downsized from a 180 gallon to a 90 gallon. I now run the Iwaki 55-rlt.

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need high flow high head pressure reeflo is the way to go. If you want a better quality reeflo pump, look at the my reef creation designs (MRC america). Same pumps better seals and quality from what I've read. When my barracuda goes, that's what's replacing it.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back