ReeFi LED Uno - Testing Soon

RhinoNM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought 3 Uno's to run over a 48" tank and am considering purchasing a 4th and running 1 on each side of the tank with 1 light behind each. Essentially like a Duo puck setup.

My only concern is the color these put out without having to dial back a bunch of the channels thus lowering PAR. This light has 48 or 67% of its Leds in the Violet spectrum. I love the crisp blue look of the Radion Blue g5's at all channels driven @100%.

Would the Uno be very "Violet" leaning rather than "Blue". On this version they have even lowered the amount of Royal & 470nm Blue leds vs the Duo further concerning me. Royal blue IMO being the most eye appealing spectrum (should be a substantial part of the spectrum)

I cant stand the old VHO fluorescent tanks that have that Violet/Pepto tint...I want crisp/pooping blue. I can obviously turn down the Violets to tone it down but theres not enough royal blues for PAR at that point.

Can anyone comment?

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought 3 Uno's to run over a 48" tank and am considering purchasing a 4th and running 1 on each side of the tank with 1 light behind each. Essentially like a Duo puck setup.

My only concern is the color these put out without having to dial back a bunch of the channels thus lowering PAR. This light has 48 or 67% of its Leds in the Violet spectrum. I love the crisp blue look of the Radion Blue g5's at all channels driven @100%.

Would the Uno be very "Violet" leaning rather than "Blue". On this version they have even lowered the amount of Royal & 470nm Blue leds vs the Duo further concerning me. Royal blue IMO being the most eye appealing spectrum (should be a substantial part of the spectrum)

I cant stand the old VHO fluorescent tanks that have that Violet/Pepto tint...I want crisp/pooping blue. I can obviously turn down the Violets to tone it down but theres not enough royal blues for PAR at that point.

Can anyone comment?
I will after I get some chores done.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can anyone comment?
Well light was designed for heavy violet.
That said you have blue/royal blue/ and the cool white adds quite a bit of PAR to the tank.
What do all 3 at 100% and everything else at zero look like?
If you get lucky and like all 3 at 100% then next step.
Start adding all the violets to choice. The lowest like 400nm shouldn't impact tone as much (too many variables to be exact in predictions)

There are infinite color combinations and many different power levels on the diodes soo only can GUESS a bit.

Lime won't "violet" it out (well red/blue is magenta not violet but I digress) but ww and pc amber will so avoid those though adding a wee bit of pc amber is good.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When running the Uno at 100% power on all channels:
UV-A = 6.3%
Violet = 27.6%
Blue = 40%
Green-Blue = 2.4%
Blue-Green = 2.8%
The 400nm LEDs (4 of them) at 100% = 71% in the UV-A range, 20% Violet, 2.3% Blue.
Four 420nm LEDs at 100% = 3.1% UV-A, 80.1% Violet, 12.2% Blue.
Four Violet LEDs = 1.2% UV-A, 60.7 Violet, 33.1% Blue.
Ten Royal Blues = 0.9 UV-A, 4.9 Violet, 88.3% Blue,
Six Blues = 0.6% UV-A, 0.7 Violet, 73.8% Blue, 12.8% Green-Blue.

RhinoNM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for the feedback Dana.. Definitely a large bump in the violet range, i bet they will grow coral just fine.

Petesreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When running the Uno at 100% power on all channels:
UV-A = 6.3%
Violet = 27.6%
Blue = 40%
Green-Blue = 2.4%
Blue-Green = 2.8%
The 400nm LEDs (4 of them) at 100% = 71% in the UV-A range, 20% Violet, 2.3% Blue.
Four 420nm LEDs at 100% = 3.1% UV-A, 80.1% Violet, 12.2% Blue.
Four Violet LEDs = 1.2% UV-A, 60.7 Violet, 33.1% Blue.
Ten Royal Blues = 0.9 UV-A, 4.9 Violet, 88.3% Blue,
Six Blues = 0.6% UV-A, 0.7 Violet, 73.8% Blue, 12.8% Green-Blue.
Thanks Dana, I hope this means your life/house is starting to get a little more back to normal now (whatever "normal" means this year ;) Can you comment on the look of the light @ 100% power all channels or is that too subjective (I would ask Daniel but I think he's in R2R jail)?

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Dana, I hope this means your life/house is starting to get a little more back to normal now (whatever "normal" means this year ;) Can you comment on the look of the light @ 100% power all channels or is that too subjective (I would ask Daniel but I think he's in R2R jail)?
Thank you or much. To say the last month has been a stressful trial would be an understatement. The roof is still covered with a tarp while I wait for the insurance company to make their move. Fortunately, it hasn't rained much, but the weather report says that is about to change. Well, enough for that. On to the important things in life - reef lighting. LOL.
The Kelvin rating of the Uno at full power on all channels exceeds the range of my meter. Eyeballing it suggests Kelvin is ~14,000K.

Attachments

• ReeFi.jpg
    ReeFi.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 223

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just attached a photo.
Well. Photos can be a bit deceiving.. Is it a violet toned 14000k or blue toned 14000k ish?
Photo def iooks bluish but with a violet rim.

Almost better to judge by spill on a white wall.

Their pic
ReeFi_Uno_PAR-1024x553.jpg

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. Photos can be a bit deceiving.. Is it a violet toned 14000k or blue toned 14000k ish?
Photo def iooks bluish but with a violet rim.

Almost better to judge by spill on a white wall.

Their pic
ReeFi_Uno_PAR-1024x553.jpg
Spectroscopy shows bluish with violet (40.9% v. 27.6%, respectively.) I've got a chart that I'll publish later that shows the Uno covers a 2' x 2' surface area very well, with little spillover (<100 microMol/m2/sec/)

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting light and is starting to show the direction light makers should be going. It's also priced sanely.

The problem though is it's a high density solution and serious reefers with big tanks are trending towards more distribution; aka reef brite, etc. If you want shimmer you get a kessil.

The large amounts of violets are what will prevent me from buying it. Prefer a 4/1 mix of 450 to 470.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where have I heard that before.
You've heard it from me. Testing is tedious and time-consuming (taking weeks to gather data, analyze it, graph it, insert it into a written report) and life can interrupt my best laid plans.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the ratio for blue to violets different for the unos than it was for the duo extremes? i was kind of worried because it seemed like a lot of pictures online of tanks using duo extremes had a definite purple/violet hue to it, but having had mine in person it seems like any basic reef light i've ever come across in ai/kessil/etm. i do prefer more of a daylight type look than the all blue look people go for these days tho

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for fun regarding human color perception..
main-qimg-2899f39b22c3c411315a67bc57224b8f

The relative sensitivities peak at around 600, 550, and 450 nm. We see these wavelengths not as red, green and blue but as violet, yellowish green, and reddish orange. The nominally blue peak is well separated, but the nominal red and green peaks are relatively close. The color we see as green is not at the peak of the green curve but at the minimum of the red curve at 500 nm. Observed red deepens as we move from the nominal red peak at 600 nm toward 700 nm. Color depends more on the ratios of excitation of the 3 types of color sensors than on the absolute values.

The red receptors have a second, smaller peak in the blue range, so blue light excites the red receptors even when no red light is present. The color we see as blue lies not at the nominal blue peak around 450 nm but at the maximum ratio of blue and red sensitivity at closer to 475 nm. By 450 nm blue has shaded off into violet, which carries a hint of redness quite different from that of magenta.

Better:

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back