ReefMat Install Vids?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed the vertical glass panel parallel to the front of the sump that separated the two filter sock inserts (the one that has a slot for the refugium baffle). That one had to be removed to attach the drain hose.

I left the vertical panel that is perpendicular to the front of the sump where the drain pipes drain into the sump (the bubble trap all the way to the right side of the picture). That piece could be removed but I didn’t find it necessary unless the reef mat is being installed immediately next to the downpipe as pictured in post #21.
What if anything are you going to do in the small overflow chamber where the emergency overflow drains? (just as there won't be much water circulation going forward)

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if anything are you going to do in the small overflow chamber where the emergency overflow drains? (just as there won't be much water circulation going forward)
I have rock rubble as a copepod refuge. It gets a small trickle so it’s a great place for sponges and the like to grow undistutbed

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
below is a copy and paste from my build log

I also installed my reefmat and without even having a roll in this thing its a total PITA for S500 owners. the pre-terminated side that screws into the rollermat leaked like crazy. I took it apart and it had ZERO sealant, major QC over site. I ended up using the sealant that came with the mat and its really ugly and still drips a drop every 6 seconds or so. I'll be going to my LFS tomorrow to get red sea to send me a new one. Also when you cut the main overflow you have to go above the sump line, there is no room to put pvc cutters in the pipe below the glass line. I was not willing to completely detach the overflow and cut it. Even with cutting above the sump its nearly impossible to cut the pvc with a normal scissor style pvc cutter. I ended up using one of those cable saw things that put a bunch of plastic into my sump which wasnt too bad to get out. I wish i had cut the pipe even higher up because the union is putting pressure on the back glass of the sump. Below you will also see the part red sea sent me to make the included hardware work with the reefmat on my tank, without this piece the reefmat will not work with Red Sea Max S line tanks without additional hardware/modifications!

I'm also not thrilled with how close the reefmat motor is to my sump. if the sump overflows this thing will 100% get wet. there is not enough room to put the motor on the other side of the unit in the Max S 500 sump.

pdD2VJT.jpg

By2bxix.jpg

Neo8NAn.jpg

BirxqAx.jpg

tJiCdLJ.jpg

#TheMoth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
below is a copy and paste from my build log

I also installed my reefmat and without even having a roll in this thing its a total PITA for S500 owners. the pre-terminated side that screws into the rollermat leaked like crazy. I took it apart and it had ZERO sealant, major QC over site. I ended up using the sealant that came with the mat and its really ugly and still drips a drop every 6 seconds or so. I'll be going to my LFS tomorrow to get red sea to send me a new one. Also when you cut the main overflow you have to go above the sump line, there is no room to put pvc cutters in the pipe below the glass line. I was not willing to completely detach the overflow and cut it. Even with cutting above the sump its nearly impossible to cut the pvc with a normal scissor style pvc cutter. I ended up using one of those cable saw things that put a bunch of plastic into my sump which wasnt too bad to get out. I wish i had cut the pipe even higher up because the union is putting pressure on the back glass of the sump. Below you will also see the part red sea sent me to make the included hardware work with the reefmat on my tank, without this piece the reefmat will not work with Red Sea Max S line tanks without additional hardware/modifications!

I'm also not thrilled with how close the reefmat motor is to my sump. if the sump overflows this thing will 100% get wet. there is not enough room to put the motor on the other side of the unit in the Max S 500 sump.

pdD2VJT.jpg

By2bxix.jpg

Neo8NAn.jpg

BirxqAx.jpg

tJiCdLJ.jpg
I see the struggle and feel your pain. Nothing bothers me more than an overcrowded sump and equipment on top of each other. is the Reefmat running effectively as designed? What REDSEA tank is that? 170?

Attachments

• tempImageamUlh9.png
    tempImageamUlh9.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 466

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the struggle and feel your pain. Nothing bothers me more than an overcrowded sump and equipment on top of each other. is the Reefmat running effectively as designed? What REDSEA tank is that? 170?
Your post literally made me laugh out loud. You're right it does make my sump area look like a 170......thats a Max S500 :). The max series definetly got the short end of the stick on the rollermats. It doesn't even fit in a S400, in my S500 it has to be front left (and small rollermat only) which is all the way across the sump diagonally from the overflow.

I would say its running well, my tank is new and lightly stocked so not much bio load. The dirty paper just got up to the used roll area and its been running for a week. I'm considering lowering my water level so none trickles down the emergency overflow. I would imagine alot of the light proteins will be right on the surface and go down it. Although my filter socks are not really getting dirty, but again its a new tank.

Last edited:

NaCl H2O

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 750 xxl G3 and the drains are 40mm everything that they give you with the 1200 reef mat is for 32 mm. I got it all done and cut pipe last and now i have a pipe above waterline and no fitting that even work remotely with the piping i have. This all seems hurry up and rush to market kinda deal. Well figure out all our f-ups through the custies. Thanks red sea.

Attachments

• EECC4E73-4590-4AE5-8C68-352EFEB9E9A2.jpeg
    EECC4E73-4590-4AE5-8C68-352EFEB9E9A2.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 480
  • 35D055B8-02EE-423C-B8EC-1833DEE78AE7.jpeg
    35D055B8-02EE-423C-B8EC-1833DEE78AE7.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 387
  • 8CC2B080-AC18-4533-8446-6BBD9ACBD3A7.jpeg
    8CC2B080-AC18-4533-8446-6BBD9ACBD3A7.jpeg
    241.6 KB · Views: 2,284

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 750 xxl G3 and the drains are 40mm everything that they give you with the 1200 reef mat is for 32 mm. I got it all done and cut pipe last and now i have a pipe above waterline and no fitting that even work remotely with the piping i have. This all seems hurry up and rush to market kinda deal. Well figure out all our f-ups through the custies. Thanks red sea.
I was in the same oat with my S500. I got lucky my LFS asked the red sea rep about it before I installed mine and they sent me a part. I posted the pic earlier in the thread.

TL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've installed two so far, one on my S-1000 and one at my LFS on his 900xl. It's fairly straightforward, but you need the special knife to remove the glass associated with the filter socks. LFS had one, my ReefMat did not come with one so i borrowed his. I did not have issue with fittings for either tank, what was needed was included.

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There should be a 32 to 40 mm adapter included, but I agree it’s not ideal.

image.jpg

IxTCxI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering the same trying to decide if I should go for it on mine
My current build (peninsula) with the WB 100.3 sump. I just removed the baffle that separates the filter socks and the skimmer section.

Attachments

• F4681C7F-B5E8-4DCA-BE63-27A710ADC356.jpeg
    F4681C7F-B5E8-4DCA-BE63-27A710ADC356.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 922

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I came across this. I've been thinking about putting the 1200 in my 625. Hated the idea of losing my ATO tank. Realized I could move it to the other side and still have room for my skimmer. Then I thought what if something happens to the reefmat and then I have no filtration because I cut all that out? I could put it where my fuge is but then I would lose that. Yep not worth it....

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
how often are you guys having to replace rolls? I've got a klir right now and have to replace rolls every 5 days so need a better solution.

sublime275

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how often are you guys having to replace rolls? I've got a klir right now and have to replace rolls every 5 days so need a better solution.
I’m still on my first roll. It looks like I’m going to get about 5 weeks out of it.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great, thanks for sharing @awcollins !

Did you decide to not take any baffles out? And to just let your emergency overflow maintain some flow through the filter sock chambers to avoid stagnant water?

donbavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed the 500 on my RSR XL300 two nights ago. Modifying the sump certainly wasn't fun but it wasn't too difficult. I just took my time and was super careful. I couldn't find the sump modification kit anywhere but I found a really small Dewalt utility knife at Home Depot and was able to make that work fairly well.

It definitely takes up more space in the sump than what I'd like but it has already made a big difference on the clarity of the water in my tank. I'm looking forward to seeing the long term results.

20220606_234943.jpg

reefcentury

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody install the Reef Mat 500 in the new Reefer 200 G2? I assumed you could install it in the filter sock area but doesn’t fit.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%
Back