OP
reefpunk707

reefpunk707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update
I really need to upload new pictures as a lot has changed!
I got my first online coral shipment that sent my coral count from 3 to 11!
Also Im getting a second tank soon that is established and comes with corals and livestock.
Will update the fluval pictures and add new pictures of the new tank when i get it!

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the start of your tank and looking forward to more updates.

Seriously though, if you cant visibly see pods on your glass and crawling around the tank you don't have enough to support your little buddy. They can eat several hundred within a couple of days.

I understand that tanks are so nice when new and you just want to get all kinds of stuff but the only things that happens quick in this hobby are bad.. Your tank definitely looks good right now.

Has it went through its complete cycle of algea growing? Most not all tanks take around 6 months to be considered stable. I add several bags of pods in my tanks and dont even have anything to eat them yet just so they can start populating and I can keep a mandarin. FWIW my 65g tank has been up almost a year and I still dont think it's ready yet.

Please keep us updated.

OP
OP
reefpunk707

reefpunk707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the start of your tank and looking forward to more updates.

Seriously though, if you cant visibly see pods on your glass and crawling around the tank you don't have enough to support your little buddy. They can eat several hundred within a couple of days.

I understand that tanks are so nice when new and you just want to get all kinds of stuff but the only things that happens quick in this hobby are bad.. Your tank definitely looks good right now.

Has it went through its complete cycle of algea growing? Most not all tanks take around 6 months to be considered stable. I add several bags of pods in my tanks and dont even have anything to eat them yet just so they can start populating and I can keep a mandarin. FWIW my 65g tank has been up almost a year and I still dont think it's ready yet.

Please keep us updated.

I see them but not as many as i used to. I thought i had a lot before i added the mandarin and I did but I underestimated the hunting abilities of the mandarin. He cleaned out my pods in less than 24 hrs. I grabbed tigger pods and added them to the tank every few days to be sure but he was eating frozen the day after i got him so made me a little less nervous about limited pods. I still add pods and make sure hes getting enough frozen with the clowns being faster and fatter! Thanks I need recent pictures because there are many more corals in there now. I have had and have at the moment more algea than i want haha. It comes and goes usually when the carbon needs to be changed is when it creeps in. Tanks 4 months in and chugging along!

OP
OP
reefpunk707

reefpunk707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more recent pics!

DSC_0708.JPG

DSC_0715.JPG

OP
OP
reefpunk707

reefpunk707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looking great..

Thanks! I was trying to keep it as stock as possible but im gonna start some upgrades. I need some more flow so i got a power head got the lowest gph but its way too much for the fluval. Ill get a smaller one or move the least powerful one out of my biocube and put it in the fluval.

OP
OP
reefpunk707

reefpunk707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time no update.....
Sorry yall! so since last time I posted I got a new to me but established biocube.
The fluval was going great as well as the new tank untill I was evacuated from my home for a week suddenly when wildfires hit northern callifornia in october. With no power for a week and me not able to get to my home both tanks crashed. I tore down the biocube and i kept the fluval running but lost all my fish and most corals.
The fluval has recovered and ive got new fish and coral in there that are dong well.
I just finished the cycle on the biocube and got an awesome custom scape built for it.
Will post pictures of both tanks soon!

OP
OP
reefpunk707

reefpunk707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After resetting the biocube I decided to move everything over from the fluval and tore down the fluval. Here's what it looks like so far.... I have 6 fish and a bunch of mixed corals.

IMG_20200413_135348_408.jpg

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They were sold to me as red zoas haha. My first zoas I got to see if my tank would support corals. I still have that colony and it made it through a tank crash! Sat for 5 or 6 days with no power!
Oh lol well those “red zoa” are really pretty ;) and that’s awesome that they made it. Hope some of ur other corals and fish made it also :( that sucks when stuff like that happens. It happened to me while I had my freshwater tank. I lost 2 angels power was out and it got really hot. Was during the summer.

OP
OP
reefpunk707

reefpunk707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh lol well those “red zoa” are really pretty ;) and that’s awesome that they made it. Hope some of ur other corals and fish made it also :( that sucks when stuff like that happens. It happened to me while I had my freshwater tank. I lost 2 angels power was out and it got really hot. Was during the summer.

Thanks I like em too. Ugh it was rough lost all my fish and all but like 2 or 3 corals between 2 separate tanks. I was bummed but I was evacuated cause of a wildfire and couldn't get back to my house to do anything. Power was out the whole time. No oxygen got em along with heaters not being on. No fun! Haha still here tho! Set back up both tank but just recently combined them to the bigger one.

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks I like em too. Ugh it was rough lost all my fish and all but like 2 or 3 corals between 2 separate tanks. I was bummed but I was evacuated cause of a wildfire and couldn't get back to my house to do anything. Power was out the whole time. No oxygen got em along with heaters not being on. No fun! Haha still here tho! Set back up both tank but just recently combined them to the bigger one.
Oh nooo :( I’m Srry about ur losses. But awesome that ur getting them back up and running. Bigger tank! Nice lol I just started and i already want another tank. ;Woot

OP
OP
reefpunk707

reefpunk707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh nooo :( I’m Srry about ur losses. But awesome that ur getting them back up and running. Bigger tank! Nice lol I just started and i already want another tank. ;Woot

Thank you. I didn't get a bigger tank just used the bigger of the 2 sw tanks I had. Ill get a bigger one when I have a more permanent living situation and more experience won't hurt haha. Nice it's so fascinating. I bought a second tank that was more than twice the size of the one I started with 4 months into the hobby haha its addicting. I feel like we'll always want more galllons!

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you. I didn't get a bigger tank just used the bigger of the 2 sw tanks I had. Ill get a bigger one when I have a more permanent living situation and more experience won't hurt haha. Nice it's so fascinating. I bought a second tank that was more than twice the size of the one I started with 4 months into the hobby haha its addicting. I feel like we'll always want more galllons!
Yes it is very addicting. Doesn’t help when u need to go to the LFS for some common supplies. lol. U see all the amazing corals and fish. I’m in college right now. I have a 32G biocube in a year I will graduate. Hopefully will be able to get a bigger tank after! Might just wait till I get an actual home though. Maybe get a little bigger tank (fish only). Don’t want to get to many corals and have to remove everything if it’s not permanent.

OP
OP
reefpunk707

reefpunk707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is very addicting. Doesn’t help when u need to go to the LFS for some common supplies. lol. U see all the amazing corals and fish. I’m in college right now. I have a 32G biocube in a year I will graduate. Hopefully will be able to get a bigger tank after! Might just wait till I get an actual home though. Maybe get a little bigger tank (fish only). Don’t want to get to many corals and have to remove everything if it’s not permanent.
I hear that! I'm going to do the same I want a bigger tank but when I know I won't be moving it for a long long time if ever!

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back