Refugium light duration

Rene2322

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a reef for about 12 years. In both my display as well in my refugium I have a DSB. Growing and pruning (1/3 every other week) algae is the only phosphate export I have. It's a delicate balance.
Compared to my display, my refugium is relatively small (30 vs 180 liter). The same goes for my lighting (15W @ 100% vs 270W @ ca. 50%).

Because of the size of the display, it's not responsible having even a yellow tang. So snails and an urchin are the only algae eating creatures in the display.

My question: does it make my fuge more effective when I increase the hours of light in the fuge? I currently run it in a reversed daylight schedule 10 pm till 10 am (display including rise and set from 10 am till 10 pm). Or will it be more effective adding another Kessil H80 Tuna Flora (or other light)?

I currently don't have the space in sump area or around reef setup for having a algae reactor. We are still planning to buy another home. Until then I don't want to invest in a bigger aquarium

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The longer the light is on, the more waste it removes. You could another h80 if you'd like. I would only do so if the increased light duration isn't enough or if the refugium is much larger than 14x14

OP
OP
R

Rene2322

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
It's only 12" x 16". If I place an extra lamp, then in such a way that the two lamps illuminate the same surface.

I start (and stay) with increasing the light duration.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 58.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.4%
Back