Refugium or Light Over Sump

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I recently got my Reefer 450 up and running and now want to focus on having a great means of algae control. The Reefer looks so nice right now and I want to avoid any algae problems which I've experienced in the past with other tanks.

I have a Reefer 450 and a 65 gallon tank running off a 150 gallon sump in the basement. I have about 100 lbs of rock in the sump and around 100 in each tank. I just tried an algae scrubber and it kept leaking so I took it out. I'm thinking of either using a ten gallon tank I have as a refugium or hanging a light over the 150 sump and leaving it on 24/7. I understand the basics of refugiums but not entirely sure other than Chaeto what benefit they are and my 150 sump just seems like a large volume of water with rocks in it. I'd like to utilize what I have and get advice before I buy additional equipment.

So basically, from what I've said here, what would be my best option to assure algae growth is targeted down in the basement and not in my beautiful display? I appreciate any and all feedback on this.!

This is what I'm dealing with now. Before with the scrubber and now.

Algae Scrubber (3).jpg

20181114_225107_HDR.jpg

20181114_225143_HDR.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower that fluro fixture and or maybe get a cheap four tube and put the Chato in with the rock. You could eventually put a lot of cool macros in there. You may have to add a powerhead if your flow is slow in there though.
Be a cool tide pool.

Best cheap plant lights combo are cool white tubes with warm white tubes.

Run the fuge opposite the display, it evens out the PH of the system.

OP
OP
incloud design

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower that fluro fixture and or maybe get a cheap four tube and put the Chato in with the rock. You could eventually put a lot of cool macros in there. You may have to add a powerhead if your flow is slow in there though.
Be a cool tide pool.

Best cheap plant lights combo are cool white tubes with warm white tubes.

Run the fuge opposite the display, it evens out the PH of the system.

I have a 4 tube T5 fixture in my shed I could use or buy a cheap 600 watt grow light and put it over the sump through the night.

Back