Regret SPS Placement

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ever regret placement of an sps? Got a monti and digi exploding in growth in which both are looking to battle higher end sps for territory. What do you guys do for unwanted growth?

They’re really encrusted where it would be hard to remove.

DQM5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use epoxy to cover the unwanted montis, but most of my digi and montis are in the bottom of my tank.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montis...omg how bad can these montis grow and take over precious real estate...

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red monti cap that grows like a weed! I break about a saucer size shape off it weekly or it will overgrow my frogspawn(despite constant stinging it still grows over it), and has nearly killed my duncan because of shading.

It's one of those corals that grow large and is quite stunning in person, but is certainly a weed and care should be taken on placement.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they can get quite big in time. Fragging and kalk like @jda said is about all you can do.

I do like them, but man they can grow large.

DSC_0082.JPG

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red and a purple monti cap that have finally started to take off. I have a section of the rock I set side for them to grow together on. Two frogspawns are under them as a growth barrier. I was hoping they would keep it from over growing but reading above it seems like monti grows faster than frogspawn can sting...

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I just seriously limit anything other than acros. When something is on the rockwork and needs to be removed I use a rusty screwdriver as a chisel and use my sidecutters sort of as a hammer and chisel it off. I just go around the perimeter trying to take as much of the base as possible. You will undoubtedly lose some of what you chisel off, but if done right they will rebound reasonably quickly.

Here’s an example of a boneheaded placement that totally didn’t make sense less than a year later. It’s a BC Ruby Tipped Granny. It’s now on a 3” tile doing awesome and re-encrusted fairly well.

4AD46E66-C150-49B5-8F33-6F69132D9F61.jpeg

2558399E-5A2A-45BB-BA47-125F50EDA722.jpeg

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I regret having any plating or encrusting corals like montis/leptos. I placed mine low and on the outside edges but they grow so fast it's always a pain.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won’t keep any of what jda listed either. They can look nice but are a bother in a tank with acros you like. I was checking out copps tank and looked under his second large tank and it was full of monti cap colonies about 2.5 by 3 feet wide! So beautiful but obviously there is a reason he won’t keep them anywhere in anything other than a sump tank.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently pulled a rock out of my anemone tank and bleached it because it had become overgrown with caulerpa. I ended up cutting off a few setosa colonies out of it that we’re still growing. It wasn’t until I pulled it pulled it out of bleach that I realized it was my old setosa colony that I stuck in there after my move. It’s over a good across and nearly 15 lbs. I grew a 15 lb. rock! :) this one is slow growing compared to some others...

Montis are banned from my rock-work or anywhere near it. Acros get a min. of 6” on every side. If you’re not giving them at least that you’re either not planning to have them move long, or you need to be prepared to move them.

Most SPS aquariums have pretty poor coral placement that doesn’t consider future growth much.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a monti that was on a plug at the bottom of my frag tank that I just let go. It would have covered the entire surface of the glass had I let it keep going. Fur size reference that’s a 3” plug that the red Goni is on

6F5BD3C2-FDE8-4D1D-B741-1B3C50F07877.jpeg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montis...omg how bad can these montis grow and take over precious real estate...
I had to remove mine a while back. Donated to a friend with a much bigger tank. These things shadow large patches of precious space.

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes. What about cephastrea? Same issue? I have a frag of what looks like that same monster orange monti above and I haven't placed it yet. I'm going to definitely use a different strategy

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back