Removing Plenium ?

hounddog01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9 years ago when I setup my tank I went with a plenium. This seemed to be the "hot" thing to do at the time to reduce nitrites. To say the least it did not really work. In the last year it has caused more trouble than it is worth.
I have moved everything out of the tank into the new tank. I want to move another tank into the one with the plenium. I have removed the top screen and the bottom plenium. the tank looks like a mud slide I am runing filter socks and the skimmer really wet.
I have noticed some of the substrate has hardened and are in clumps. I plan on removing these clumps. once it clears up and then do a 50 % water change. I plan on checking ammonia, nitrite and nitrates.
If all of the chemestry is in order do you think the tank is ready to add the rock, fish and anenome from the other tank?

Znut Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine if the chemistry looks good. Just be prepared for an algae outbreak if the PO4 is high. When I did this yrs ago to move a plenium tank I had all types of algae issues.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back