Replacing Live Rock

  • Thread starter Thread starter goody
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

goody

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
1,007
Reaction score
194
Location
Carlsbad, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my system up and running for 3 years now, and I want to change out some of my rocks. These rocks have zoas, chalices, RBTAs, and xenia on them. Some have several mojanos overtaking them. I'm looking at taking out 3 medium to large rocks.

If I change these out with some Marcorock I've had cycling for 2 months, would there be any negative impact on water parameters or system?
 
The people I talk to say the Marco rock does leach nutrients into the system. How much would it affect your system would depend on the amount of rock you are replacing. When you say cycling, do you mean just soaking in saltwater? Have you been running gfo and a skimmer to pull nutrients out?
 
Only been running carbon, filter sock, heater, and lots of flow . I should add that I placed one large Marco rock in my tank about one month ago, no ill effects, but I didn't take any other rocks out of DT. This time, I want to take out 3-4 med/large rocks with quite a bit of coral on them and replace them with the Marcorocks.
 
If you are replacing just a couple of rocks you probably wont see anything detrimental happen
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new