Responsible Stewards- Don’t Let The Future Fish Size Prevent You From Getting The Fish You Want

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like I lucked out, my local fish store is amazing. Everyone there might as well have a degree in aquariums and the fish are always healthy and eating. The owner is actually a former customer who bought the store.
Think you gave away the secret - former customer!!!

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Think you gave away the secret - former customer!!!
Haha, wish it was me. You actually seem like your close by, it's House of Fins in Greenwich. Now I have to deal with only being near Manhattan Aquariums...

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, wish it was me. You actually seem like your close by, it's House of Fins in Greenwich. Now I have to deal with only being near Manhattan Aquariums...
That explains why they have great product, expensive, but top quality. One of my favorite places in the whole world...

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That explains why they have great product, expensive, but top quality. One of my favorite places in the whole world...
Yeah idk why they bothered making a website since their prices are so high for coral haha. But I prefer to still make the trip from the city to get my fish there. Always full of so many rare species and everyone who works there is so knowledgeable. Better than a trip to the aquarium.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah idk why they bothered making a website since their prices are so high for coral haha. But I prefer to still make the trip from the city to get my fish there. Always full of so many rare species and everyone who works there is so knowledgeable. Better than a trip to the aquarium.
Never had an issue with any fish that I bought there.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think truly "seasoned vets" in this hobby are very few and far between. There are a lot of reefers that have been in the hobby for years and years and dont know much more than a "noob".
Hope that is not true but if it is - what could we do to change that?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope that is not true but if it is - what could we do to change that?

Get more reefers to spend more time on forums full of knowledgeable hobbyists such as R2R!

But ultimately not much considering the average LFS can often be a great source of misinformation.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get more reefers to spend more time on forums full of knowledgeable hobbyists such as R2R!

But ultimately not much considering the average LFS can often be a great source of misinformation.
Wise words! How do we do this???

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, engagement. Ideally, spreading positive vibes and accurate advice.

Rocketfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once heard an older Texas Fish Store owner tell someone; yes, technically you can put that fish in a 10-gallon tank just like you can put a calf in a closet. The issues that come with it are a matter of what kind of regular maintenance do you want to do? A calf in a closet will create a significant amount of waste that has nowhere to go so you will have to clean up after it more often than if it were in a 1-acre plot.

Same thing for the fish in a small tank. His lifespan and quality of life will likely be reduced in a smaller tank and you will need to do more maintenance at shorter intervals to maintain a reasonable environment for the fish. That said, The same guy also said, do what you want, the tank and the fish are for your enjoyment and entertainment. I will help you make the lifespan of the fish as long as possible within your means as long as you understand that you aren't giving it the equivalent of what it will see in the ocean no matter how big your tank is. He would always finish with the same statement, "The bottom line is we all buy fish to watch them die, we just want to delay that as long as possible!"

I say all that to say this. It is the hobbyist's choice to get or not to get whatever fish they want, and as more experienced reefers/fish keepers it is our place to tell them the risks associated with this type of fish in this type of tank.

The people that come across as "Tang Police" aren't unfriendly people, and their message, in general, is okay, but arguing that a person needs a 200-gallon tank versus a 55-gallon tank is somewhat of a moot point because if we were really interested in the health and well being of the fish we wouldn't have a tank at all. It's not our job to tell people what to do, it's our job to make recommendations and let the individual make their own choices with the full knowledge of the difficulties they will create for themselves and the fish.

I am committed to telling people the challenges they may face with a tang in a 30-gallon tank and that they are risking a shortened lifespan and higher maintenance interval because of their fish choice, but if that brings them joy, go for it!

Full Disclosure: I have a 30 gallon fully developed and mature reef tank I bought a quarter-sized hippo tang and put him in there a year ago, and it is now a 4" hippo tang and still growing. He would certainly be happier in a bigger tank, but that is 6 months to a year away. In order to maintain this tank, I have to have the skimmer going pretty hard and empty it faithfully. I have to do a decent-sized water change more often than I like, and I have to dose NoPox regularly to keep nitrates and phosphates down. I also run a UV sterilizer on the tank to help keep the water clear of potential ick and algae issues. To complicate the matter I decided to add a smaller Powder Blue Tang to the tank last week. Yes, I do know it is inadvisable to keep a single tang in a tank that small let alone 2 tangs, especially a powder blue with a hippo tang! If I see an aggression issue that becomes untenable for either of the fish I will rehome the hippo tang immediately. So far after a week they are tolerating each other and will swim together from time to time without showing signs of aggression.

Yes, I am running a huge risk of losing one or both of these beautiful fish. The bottom line though is that I wanted to try it and I went into it with both eyes open and researched it knowing full well it was inadvisable. I didn't ask permission, but I know the risks and moved forward anyway. I was willing to work a little harder to try it out, and I have a fallback plan in case things start looking bad for either fish. It has only been a week with both of them in there and so far I feel confident I can maintain this situation for 6 months until I get my larger tank set up and running. Ideally, I would like to be able to transfer them both to the bigger tank. If in the meantime I can only keep one I will see if I can find someone to keep the hippo tang for me until the bigger tank is ready to go.

I suppose this makes me a reef anarchist, or more specifically a "Tang Anarchist"... LOL
Here is a photo of too many tangs in too small a tank...

This isn't justification for doing it, I may lose one if I can't maintain the water properly or if aggression happens that I don't catch. I intend to move them to a bigger tank in 6 months or less. Here's hoping they hang in there!

Attachments

• 20211007_200804.jpg
    20211007_200804.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 60
OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a photo of too many tangs in too small a tank...

This isn't justification for doing it, I may lose one if I can't maintain the water properly or if aggression happens that I don't catch. I intend to move them to a bigger tank in 6 months or less. Here's hoping they hang in there!
2 tangs in how many gallons?

Beautiful aquarium btw!

Rocketfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 tangs in how many gallons?

Beautiful aquarium btw!
A 30 gallon IM AIO... I have a better skimmer and a UV sterilizer. The corals consume about 20ml of kh and calcium per day. I usually empty the skimmer once or twice a day and try to do a 5 gallon water change once a week.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting Topic. I read all the posts and understand both sides of the argument.

I guess this Juvenile Clown Trigger (which I bought not thinking clearly.) isn't suited for this 10 Gallon Tank,

2021-06-28_ClownTrigger.jpg

Actually that was QT.......LOL.

He's been in my 90 Gallon 4 foot tank (5 months now). Very Happy Fish and really friendly with other fish...... but even that worries me with my bad decision.

2021-09-17_Kitchen-LPSTank-90Gal-ClownTrigger.jpg

I do have a fishtrap and he'll be an easy catch with his appetite. To move my 120 Gallon tank.

When he outgrows the 120, I'll face the problem and hopeful find a solution.
Till then, I'm enjoying each day taking very good care of him, like I do all livestock I own.

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting Topic. I read all the posts and understand both sides of the argument.

I guess this Juvenile Clown Trigger (which I bought not thinking clearly.) isn't suited for this 10 Gallon Tank,

He's been in my 90 Gallon 4 foot tank (5 months now). Very Happy Fish and really friendly with other fish...... but even that worries me with my bad decision.

I do have a fishtrap and he'll be an easy catch with his appetite. To move my 120 Gallon tank.

Till then, I'm enjoying each day taking very good care of him, like I do all livestock I own.
First Half GIF

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Excellent Stewardship - Kudos!!!

Oh, and by the way, you really are living the DREAM!!!

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dealt with my LFS for the past 40 years and have every confidence that when my Yellow Tang starts to look unsuitable for my tank they will take it back. However, I may seek to find someone who has a bigger tank to take it - I would expect to see their tank before handing it over (money wouldn’t be a big driver on this). I take great care of my reef, and it’s inhabitants, and pay little attention to those that (in generalistic comments) look to make it seem terrible. My Tang is beautiful - one thing I’ve learnt over the years is that fish let you know if they are unhappy.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dealt with my LFS for the past 40 years and have every confidence that when my Yellow Tang starts to look unsuitable for my tank they will take it back. However, I may seek to find someone who has a bigger tank to take it - I would expect to see their tank before handing it over (money wouldn’t be a big driver on this). I take great care of my reef, and it’s inhabitants, and pay little attention to those that (in generalistic comments) look to make it seem terrible. My Tang is beautiful - one thing I’ve learnt over the years is that fish let you know if they are unhappy.
Really like your story but curious about the ending line “one thing I’ve learnt over the years is that fish let you know if they are unhappy.”

How do you know a fish is unhappy?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back