Return pump spitting bubbles (NOT the skimmer or water splashing)

w2inc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but that is under water
Do you have wave surge pumps or something that could allow your water surface to dip below the anti syphon hole randomly? That could pull some small bubbles. Not a fine mist of micro bubbles.

When I get micro bubbles it is always being chopped up from my drive pumps impeller. Looking at the first photo I can see some large bubbles in the sponge between your skimmer and drive pump. Did you just put it in there before the photo or do they slowly grow in there from escaped skimmer bubbles?

On my tank I have a similar set up to keep skimmer bubbles out of my display. The sponge catches micro bubbles and they slowly grow into bigger ones. Occasionally one of the large bubbles breaks free from the sponge and gets sucked into my return pump and I see the blast of micro bubbles in the display. Is that the area you were watching for 15 minutes in the earlier discussion?

Your return pump looks like a Mag drive? They pull tons of water through a pretty small hole. Is there a chance that the elbow on the intake is putting enough resistance to make it intermittently cavitate?

If the return pump is the source then a lot of times you can feel the change in flow if you put your hand on the pipe. You might be able to hear it if you turn everything else off.

OP
OP
Bpainter3

Bpainter3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have wave surge pumps or something that could allow your water surface to dip below the anti syphon hole randomly? That could pull some small bubbles. Not a fine mist of micro bubbles.

When I get micro bubbles it is always being chopped up from my drive pumps impeller. Looking at the first photo I can see some large bubbles in the sponge between your skimmer and drive pump. Did you just put it in there before the photo or do they slowly grow in there from escaped skimmer bubbles?

On my tank I have a similar set up to keep skimmer bubbles out of my display. The sponge catches micro bubbles and they slowly grow into bigger ones. Occasionally one of the large bubbles breaks free from the sponge and gets sucked into my return pump and I see the blast of micro bubbles in the display. Is that the area you were watching for 15 minutes in the earlier discussion?

Your return pump looks like a Mag drive? They pull tons of water through a pretty small hole. Is there a chance that the elbow on the intake is putting enough resistance to make it intermittently cavitate?

If the return pump is the source then a lot of times you can feel the change in flow if you put your hand on the pipe. You might be able to hear it if you turn everything else off.

Thanks for your input. Yes that is the area I was watching I do have an mp 10 but siphone hole was not an issue.

So after sitting here for 2 hours epoxying each connection one by one and it still blowing bubbles I decided I was going to replumb the ball valve and union because sometimes they can be the issue.

I turned off all the pumps unscrewed the union and the gasket for the union fell out pretty easy as if it wasent sitting in the groove very well I push the gasket back in and screwed it back together. Haven’t seen a burst of bubbles since! I wish I would have checked that again first before all the epoxying. I did it a few days ago but all looked well when I did it.

Thanks for everyone’s input! Hopefully that’s problem solved!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back