Return

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
I been interested in this hobby and finally after some months of reading forums and other dyi vids, I started to start my own tank. I built the stand and sump tank, now im looking to start the rest of the plumbing.
As it is (if any recomendations to do differently, I'm open to suggestions)
- 75 gal tank not drilled yet, waiting on template for the overflow once one is decided on
-stocking with be a lion, rabbit, puffer, any invertebrates that are compatible (if any at all), and down the road a couple of corals.
-29 gal sump, 3 stages
-return pump is roughly 800gph after the losses
-the overflow im currently looking at is the Ecplise M (800 gph), maybe the 1000 gph one be safe
-I dont mind pulling a few inches away from the wall for the piping
-1.5" pvc for the intake
-***1.5"+1.25" for return question is on this***

I was wondering if splitting the return to both corners of the tank was a good idea (see sketch). I would lose a slight amount of overall flow and it would be half on each end with a Y or T joint and then reducing to a 1.25" pvc. Ultimately what I'm unsure of is:
-would 400 gph be to weak to get a good flow compared to having only 1 800gph?
-is this design bad for getting rid of dead zones?
-and is there anything else that I missed or haven't considered ?
*Also, the overflow kits seem pricey considering its pieces of acrylic and gaskets, is there a seller that makes good fair priced ones, or is this just the nature of
1547590289558537760345.jpg
aquarium supplies?

Thanks in advance!!

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Push the over flow to one side of the tank and a single return on the opposite side Is how i have always done mine. this way you can push the water across the tank pushing surface debis into the over flow it also creates less noise over the weir..

I am not commenting on stocking ..
Welcome to the forum

OP
OP
Goodair

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Push the over flow to one side of the tank and a single return on the opposite side Is how i have always done mine. this way you can push the water across the tank pushing surface debis into the over flow it also creates less noise over the weir..

I am not commenting on stocking ..
Welcome to the forum

I would of done this but I'm trying to keep the sides clean since its going in the middle of the living room wall.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would of done this but I'm trying to keep the sides clean since its going in the middle of the living room wall.

What i mean is put the Over flow box on the left side of the back and the Return on the right side of the back of the tank. Not the ends of the tank...

OP
OP
Goodair

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Is there a reason why people use overflows in the middle, I been trying to look it up but with very little results on thier reasoning. Logically it seems like it has a even pull through out the whole tank, but if the debris building up on a corner isnt a issue for the way you recommend, then I'll do it that way. Less noise is also a bonus.
-The biggest concern I had was that 800 gph might be too strong to come out of a single outlet for a 75 gal tank. A fish or coral getting hit by the stream doesn't seem great but this is where my inexperience comes in. I could just be over thinking this if the stream disapates through out the tank in a short span.

tiomm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overflow in the middle gives you more options on where you are able to put stream pumps, i.e it will be easier to create different flow patterns within it. It also give you viewing angels from both sides of the aquarium. Having the overflow on the right or left side might prevent you from placing the tank wherever you want it if you move it. That said, i prefer having it on the side as I like the peninsula style tanks better. So I advice you to go for the style you like and not think too much of it.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Is there a reason why people use overflows in the middle, I been trying to look it up but with very little results on thier reasoning. Logically it seems like it has a even pull through out the whole tank, but if the debris building up on a corner isnt a issue for the way you recommend, then I'll do it that way. Less noise is also a bonus.
-The biggest concern I had was that 800 gph might be too strong to come out of a single outlet for a 75 gal tank. A fish or coral getting hit by the stream doesn't seem great but this is where my inexperience comes in. I could just be over thinking this if the stream disapates through out the tank in a short span.
I have a 1 1/2 inch return that pushes water into the tank from the back right corner Its currently Running at 2200 gph (TESTED WITH BUCKET AND TIMER METHOD) Its running much slower then I like and usually have , Its limited by my MISTAKE Buying a Synergy reef over flow . Its just not capable of the 3k gph reliably.. Once i Get my new Over flow boxes built (very soon ) I will push my pump up to about 4 which is where i was out before my TANK had to be changed (Read my build thread link) ..

Its really up to you . For me and i am running gyre pumps at the top of the water being off set causes less turbulence inside the box . The waves dissipate some before reaching the box and not splashing over there grate .. My last over flow was a open weir with no Slots . The one i am working on will Combine a few features from both.

Original reason my over flow was put to one side was because of my tank setup.. Behind the tank is a hall bathroom. The area inside the bathroom where the Door swings in. I opened up the wall this gives me access to half of the back of the tank to access plumbing and electrical... I thought it might not work well but once it was up and running I see more good then bad with it being to one side..

Its your decision in the end...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back