OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Questions regarding your light schedule.

In your peek lighting you have red at 100%. What do you achieve by the use of the red LED? Or do you use it as part of your aesthetics color appearance?

Same question as above but with green at 0%.

Thanks

Good morning,

Can you double check that? I just took a look at my settings and do not exceed 24% on my red leds at any point of the day. Perhaps something was corrupted when you loaded it up?

-Sonny

MtnDewMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,

Can you double check that? I just took a look at my settings and do not exceed 24% on my red leds at any point of the day. Perhaps something was corrupted when you loaded it up?

-Sonny
What light are you running? G5 pro or G6 pro? Maybe that's my problem here. I am running G6 pro

MtnDewMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,

-Sonny
This is what loads for me on my G6 XR15 Pro:

First level off section:

AAB28DC3-5FCA-4488-9271-CEDA5E7E417A.png

Peek level off section:

EEC4C33C-AC17-4B3D-916D-32E61E36477A.png

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What light are you running? G5 pro or G6 pro? Maybe that's my problem here. I am running G6 pro

Yeah, that may be it right there. I run the G5 pro and I believe the G6 has a slightly different array of LEDs. I will reach out to Ecotech from confirmation on the compatibility of the Mobius templates.

MtnDewMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that may be it right there. I run the G5 pro and I believe the G6 has a slightly different array of LEDs. I will reach out to Ecotech from confirmation on the compatibility of the Mobius templates.
Can you provide your numbers based on those two leveling off points?

Tamale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Sunny, your tank is gorgeous (every time I see it posted up I just am in awe), and your photos just do such a great job of showing it off. I don't have a fancy camera but your iPhone shots are super good too! What do you set your lights to when you take camera shots? Do you use a lens for your iPhone or is it just lighting? (sorry if you've answered this, I may have missed it in earlier posts somehow haha).

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Sunny, your tank is gorgeous (every time I see it posted up I just am in awe), and your photos just do such a great job of showing it off. I don't have a fancy camera but your iPhone shots are super good too! What do you set your lights to when you take camera shots? Do you use a lens for your iPhone or is it just lighting? (sorry if you've answered this, I may have missed it in earlier posts somehow haha).

Thank you!

Whenusing the iPhone, I don’t have any special lens. The phone itself is fairly basic, iPhone 12. I simply edit the color temperature after taking the shot so that it matches as close as possible to what I can see in person. It doesn’t come close to my professional camera, but it’s not too bad, especially when taking video.

I do turn up my lights and all channels to 100% when taking photos. As with all photography, the correct lighting is key!

MtnDewMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that loaded on my G6 completely different. I wonder if they do a conversion on their end to be as similar as possible loading a G5 into a G6 or if it is just a messed up load?
@SunnyX I emailed EcoTech Marine to see what they have to say about it.

MtnDewMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SunnyX I emailed EcoTech Marine to see what they have to say about it.
@SunnyX Received a response:

Chuck,

Thank you for contacting EcoTech Marine. The template should load on the same exact settings from the G5, but the spectrum may look slightly different due to the changes that we made. I would recommend verifying the settings on the light, and to do so, just connect to your tank, click the 3 dots in the top right corner, then Settings. Now scroll to Troubleshooting, and Verify settings. Let me know if there is any exclamation point present!

Thanks again,
Jason

So I decided to redownload the file, installed it and it appears to have installed correctly. So now I will check it out for real!

I did install a T5 hybrid fixture with my light so now I will have to tweak it all for the added lighting.

Last edited:

Pmez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple quick updates:

-In conjunction with regular doses of All for Reef, I have started dosing KALK. To help ease along the process I have a Tunze 5074 kalk reactor on order and should have it setup this Sunday. This tank struggles with PH and I really need to keep it dialed in at or near 8.3 for optimal coral growth. My Tunze ATO will feed the Tunze Kalk reactor.

-18 additional SPS corals were added to the system, mainly acros and montis. Look for updated images this weekend.

-The Ultra Reef UKS-200 skimmer is exceeding my expectations and really doing a great job. The unit is rock solid and no matter what I do to the reef or how I interact with it the skimmer holds steady and does not have issues overflowing. The skimmate that it is producing is growing darker by the day and my tank is looking great.

-Corals are doing very well and have regained most of their colors since making the move to this larger tank. Just about all SPS are exhibiting growth tips and extending polyps beyond where they were in the previous setup. I believe that the change and increase of flow has something to do with that.

-Heard a couple loud pops coming from the tank the other night. The sounds were singular and minutes apart leading me to believe that it was a Pistol Shrimp as opposed to a mantis. I used live rock directly from the ocean(KP Aquatics) on my last build and had removed a mantis and couple of pistol shrimp. One may have evaded capture. We’ll see. This far, no harm or issues to report but I do have many inverts in the reef so no telling if any have yet fallen prey. Time will tell.

Thats it for now. I’ll have updated pictures and insight posted this weekend. Thanks for stopping by.
Hey I’m curious how you run your kalk reactor? How many ML per min? so do you run it 24/7?

Thank you
Amazing reefs and great info for all of us

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I’m curious how you run your kalk reactor? How many ML per min? so do you run it 24/7?

Thank you
Amazing reefs and great info for all of us

Hello and thank you!

I have a Tunze Kalkwasser reactor attached to a Tunze Osmolater (ATO). It is a simple setup that requires very little maintenance. It doesn’t satisfy all of my CA/ALK needs but works well as a supplement and to help keep my ph up. Above all else I ensure that my ph remain as close to 8.3 as possible. If I sit under 8ph for an extended period of time, growth of SPS will fall off greatly.

Currently, I am also dosing 75ml of Tropic Marin All for Reef and will periodically add a Sodium bicarbonate solution to keep ALK elevated, which I like to have sit at 9. The corals have really taken off so I am looking for other options as I am quickly burning through the all for reef solution. Perhaps a two part may be the way to go as a CA reactor would only work to reduce my ph. I could always increase evaporation in my aquarium, ther y increasing kalkwasser dosage but it would simply dump too much moisture into my home.

-Sonny

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been scientifically shown and studied that corals can retrieve 100% of their carbon and nitrogen needs directly from bacteria.

-Sonny

If this were the case, wouldn't it be possible to drive nitrates and phosphates down next to nothing via carbon dosing without any negative effect on the corals?

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this were the case, wouldn't it be possible to drive nitrates and phosphates down next to nothing via carbon dosing without any negative effect on the corals?

Well, This is the part that will get reefers into trouble when dosing. Through trial and error, you must create an equilibrium in the system. In short, you need to add slightly more nutrients than you export. This will ensure that you do not run into issues of coral growth, health and/or provide an opportunity for undesirable algae or bacteria to take hold. Phosphate and nitrate help to facilitate many metabolic functions in the reef aquarium so bring them down to zero is undesirable.

My point in stating that bacteria can provide ample nutrients for corals was shot against food specifically target for corals. In my opinion, your money is better spent on improved circulation and filtration. There simply is not need for coral specific food. But, people are free to choose what they feed and dose into the system. If they are happy and things are looking great then carry on. At the end of the day we are the caretakers and what works for you may not work for someone else. We all operate at different levels of intelligence and motivation, so I don’t believe that one single tactic or method will create the perfect setup. Above all else it takes dedication and a willingness to learn and succeed. Without that, the reef is destined for mediocrity and will eventually find itself on the front page of the used equipment forum.

But to answer your question, no, it is not advisable to maintain your reef at zero nutrients for prolonged period of time. So long as you are feeding multiple times per day and carbon dosing correctly you should never have to deal with this issue.

-Sonny

Zuma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best source (website) you suggest for gaining information and understanding on how to property carbon dose your reef?

JSR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loved the old T5 rimless!

Do you recall your bulb combination back then?

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best source (website) you suggest for gaining information and understanding on how to property carbon dose your reef?

Hi! I like this one here: https://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

I also have a thread going here: Bacterial Driven System: A Recipe for Success.

Great to hear you are doing well. Out of all of the tanks I've followed, your tanks have always been the most inspirational.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Thank you for the kind words. I apricate the support and hope to continue inspiring both new and experienced reefers.

Loved the old T5 rimless!

Do you recall your bulb combination back then?

Thank you!

Here is the winning formula below:

FRONT OF FIXTURE
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aqua Blue Special
ATI Aqua Blue Special
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aqua Blue Special
ATI Blue Plus
BACK OF FIXTURE

1657046910783.png

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back