Rimless Reef 4.0

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Look for new Pictures/Video soon. I am also considering creating some video concerning some of my reefing guides and philosophy.

I did recently bump up my daily daily dosage of Tropic Marin NP-Bacto balance from 2ML to 3ML. I had noticed some diatoms accumulating on my sand bed, hence the reason for the increase in dosage. It appears to have done the trick as the diatoms are gone.

Other than that, things are going well and the corals are growing rapidly. Keeping the ALK in check has been a challenge but I think its finally dialed in, at least for now.

-Sonny

Thanks for the reply!

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

I owe you all some images and video. I will try and get some out this week. In the meantime, here is a quick iPhone shot video from this morning. I will bust out the Big camera for the remaining shots and video.

Looking colorful Sonny! That red table is mind blowing Beautiful job with placement and color contrasting, I can always recognize your tank by your style. You and Roberto (Denadai) have such distinct scaping, and coral placing techniques :) Thanks for sharing!

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I dose daily, 10ML on about 180gl of volume. Its less than the recommended amount but works out well for my system. I do not turn off my skimmer.

Are you dosing a carbon source along with the bacteria and running a protein skimmer?

Concerning water changes:

I conduct water changes once a week, Saturday morning, 30-40gl. I use Reef Crystals salt. With an Amazon subscription I get it for only $33.99/Month.

My typical maintenance consists of:

-Feeding the fish(What better time than before a water change?)
-I scrape off the glass and then take a turkey baster to the rock work, blowing off any debris and getting it into suspension.
-Next I will siphon all of the sand. If you want to keep a nice clean sandbed and avoid Cyano this is a must.
-I add fresh saltwater to the aquarium, turn on just the powerheads in the system and blow off the rocks one more time. Now that things are really moving and floating around I will add the coral snow.
-30 minutes later I turn on the main system pump, skimmer and am done with the water change.

In two hours time, the aquarium will look great and I can then enjoy it in peace for the rest of the weekend.
When you dose MB7 daily, do you use a doser? And if so don't you also have to shake the bottle daily like the instructions say? Or is your shaking and dosing a manual task. Thanks.

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you dose MB7 daily, do you use a doser? And if so don't you also have to shake the bottle daily like the instructions say? Or is your shaking and dosing a manual task. Thanks.
I ask because I want to do the same, but won't always be around to shake the bottle. Just wondering if MB7 would still be effective if not shaken regularly.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

Its been a while since i provided an update and will do so soon, including images.

The tank is doing well, and things are coming along.

I recently updated my Radion schedule and also posted up my Vortech flow schedule. Quite a number of people have requested it so I decided to post it up.

Both templates can be found here: https://reefsite.com/updated-radion-and-mp40-schedules/

Recent video to hold you all over until the images are up :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

https://youtube.com/shorts/foGdiTddcyg?feature=share

-Sonny

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated images!
77ACFBAB-58E7-4DEA-98BD-56AA8EC19DEB.jpeg
3B0BA206-534C-466C-877B-B7174597FB6B.jpeg
15A7D8F2-FA02-439E-92BE-FE1A84198078.jpeg
A3CE6755-0D03-4954-94DE-9FF5EE1DD957.jpeg
C6E58705-B5A7-4A24-A415-EC0FEB4E7C5B.jpeg

bandando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Sunny,
your tank is really fantastic.

l read you thread about carbon, very very interesting.
In my tank (50 gal with DSB and live rock) the values are too low (PO4 <0,01).
Today I have begun to dose TM Plus NP.

I read that you dose bacteria every day, I don't understand why it is really necessary.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still can’t get over the fact that tank is real! It looks soooooo good lol. Following along! What was the calcium powder you said you used for coral snow? Trying to get my tank clearer and your way seems full of success.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Sunny,
your tank is really fantastic.

l read you thread about carbon, very very interesting.
In my tank (50 gal with DSB and live rock) the values are too low (PO4 <0,01).
Today I have begun to dose TM Plus NP.

I read that you dose bacteria every day, I don't understand why it is really necessary.
Hello,

Over time, bacteria will need to be replenished as it is constantly being cycled out via skimmer and coral predation.

Personally, I will only add bacteria twice per week and nowhere near as much as is recommended on the bottle. I recently switched from MB7 over to Zeobak and have had some better results concerning nuisance slimes and algae's, which have now been completely eliminated from my system.

If you would like some more information, I wrote an article on the matter here: https://reefsite.com/bacterial-driven-system-a-recipe-for-success/

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

bandando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Over time, bacteria will need to be replenished as it is constantly being cycled out via skimmer and coral predation.

Personally, I will only add bacteria twice per week and nowhere near as much as is recommended on the bottle. I recently switched from MB7 over to Zeobak and have had some better results concerning nuisance slimes and algae's, which have now been completely eliminated from my system.

If you would like some more information, I wrote an article on the matter here: https://reefsite.com/bacterial-driven-system-a-recipe-for-success/
Thank you for your explanation.

I read your article and I'm following the post, very interesting

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Any lab or food grade version will work. Just ensure that Calcium Carbonate is the sole ingredient.
Could you possibly give me a name(s)? I just want to try to find the best alternative if I can’t get the one you use.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 72.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back