Rinsing MarcoRocks

Chipper1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello, all! I just finished mortaring the scape for my soon to arrive Waterbox 130.4. On the MarcoRocks website, it says you can rinse under running water. Regretting that I didn’t do the rinse prior to mortaring everything. My question...Can this be done with city tap water if I let it dry for a couple weeks before my tank arrives? Just want to make sure there won’t be any negative effects on water chemistry if I do this rinse with non RO/DI water.
521C1C7B-A8FF-411A-99D9-B53977B929C7.jpeg

OP
OP
Chipper1978

Chipper1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Absolutely you can use regular tap to rinse. I went further and soaked the rocks in tap (along with old rock that I was cleaning) for my new tank setup 3 months ago. No problem.
That is quite a relief. So much dust to get rid of and don’t want it in my new tank. Thanks for the feedback!

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned tap water for rinsing is fine. People power wash their rocks, soak in tap water, use tap for bleaching rocks, and so on. Hell, some even use tap for the actual DT water as well, so tap isnt going to make too much of a difference for something like this at all.

I would be more worried about moving heavy rock structures around now that you connected everything than tap water. Looking at where cement is, it looks like 1 giant structure. Another thing I would do is give mortar or whatever you used to connect your piece togeter enough time to fully cure before putting it in the water. Some of these cements, glues, putties, etc dont do well with water unless they are fully cured.

Last edited:

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are really worried, rinse with tap water. To get it out, just dump the rock in RODI or some saltwater before putting it into the display. I don’t know if I did this or not. Now when I do rock, I cure it for a in salt water from a water change.

Back