RO booster not working?

Irishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
78842DCD-FA0F-4884-A5DF-B8D7D282DBFC.jpeg 414B4752-6053-4574-B081-F29E65B7E051.jpeg 89FD86F5-A31C-4758-80E7-FC7CEB74DCBF.jpeg 022AF08C-21E7-472E-98E6-272B8B49198F.jpeg My RO booster pump arrived and I installed it today. Plugged it in turned on the water and I’m barely getting 20 PSI. My system is rated for 200 GPD.

I thought it could be my water source so I went from the washer connect to garden hose connect, that didn’t work. I moved my booster pump to before the membrane, that also didn’t work.

Did I just get a defective booster pump? I have attached pics of my layout, just in case I have anything connected wrong.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Booster pump should be between the mechanical/carbon filters and the RO membrane. Also quite sensitive to draw line resistance. When I added one, I had to replace the feed saddle valve to get it to work properly.

OP
OP
Irishman

Irishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Booster pump should be between the mechanical/carbon filters and the RO membrane. Also quite sensitive to draw line resistance. When I added one, I had to replace the feed saddle valve to get it to work properly.

I don’t have a saddle valve installed. Using the garden hose to 1/4” adapter. Also I did have it connected after the main filtration before the membrane and still no change.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a brand new RO unit? I say that because this picture here:

022af08c-21e7-472e-98e6-272b8b49198f-jpeg.1072796

Show what I believe is your first filter...in the clear canister...which is a nice new white sediment filter. And it also appears that the air hasn't been bled out of that canister. The raw water line needs to be connected to that one connector that currently has no line connected to it. The red line, right next to this feed line, and going into your lower member, is where you need to splice in the booster pump. Again, assuming this is a new unit, I'd let it run for 5 to 10 minutes without the pump being on, so that all the filters have a chance to get wet. I'd also bleed out the air in the canisters.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize for asking, but I've seen it done before....were the membranes put in the right way (and not backwards)? Without the booster pump hooked up, what kind of flow were you getting and what was your ratio of good to waste water?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also like to add another question to the mix, did you rinse your Carbon block/blocks before you ran water through the whole system?

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would i bleed out the air in the canister m?

With the water on, and now using your canister wrench, start to unscrew the canister, just enough to break the seal with the O-ring. This will allow the air to escape. The clear canister, you'll see the water climbing up the canister....no problem. With the white ones, have a small towel handy and as soon as you see water seeping out the top of the canister, tighten it back up.

OP
OP
Irishman

Irishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize for asking, but I've seen it done before....were the membranes put in the right way (and not backwards)? Without the booster pump hooked up, what kind of flow were you getting and what was your ratio of good to waste water?

The membranes are put in the right way I double checked that. With out the booster pump I’m looking at 20 PSI before membrane. As far as ratio I don’t know that. Just moved to a different different state and am now hooking everything up the first time in this state. I bought the booster pump because when I had it hooked up I was still only ready 20 PSI before both membranes.

F23FC9AB-81D0-4A67-BE98-DC63B62E16C8.jpeg 89163749-DFC0-4AE8-830A-A0729C8FBA67.jpeg

I'd also like to add another question to the mix, did you rinse your Carbon block/blocks before you ran water through the whole system?

I did not rinse it off before the whole system. Since everything was brand new I was going to run it all for one hour before I kept the RODI water

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
......After these main stages I have the DI stage.......

I'm not seeing the DI canister. Might I assume it's on the other side of the wall?

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The membranes are put in the right way I double checked that. With out the booster pump I’m looking at 20 PSI before membrane. As far as ratio I don’t know that. Just moved to a different different state and am now hooking everything up the first time in this state. I bought the booster pump because when I had it hooked up I was still only ready 20 PSI before both membranes.

I did not rinse it off before the whole system. Since everything was brand new I was going to run it all for one hour before I kept the RODI water

Always Rinse carbon filters prior to running water through the whole system. Not doing so can prematurely clog the membranes and seriously decrease the life of your membranes. But I don't feel this is your issue with the booster pump. Have you tried turning it all the way up? It might be on its lowest flow setting...

I'm not seeing the DI canister. Might I assume it's on the other side of the wall?

I'm guessing things were just installed wrong as typically the clear housing is used for the DI stage and the other two for prefilters...

OP
OP
Irishman

Irishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always Rinse carbon filters prior to running water through the whole system. Not doing so can prematurely clog the membranes and seriously decrease the life of your membranes. But I don't feel this is your issue with the booster pump. Have you tried turning it all the way up? It might be on its lowest flow setting...

I'm guessing things were just installed wrong as typically the clear housing is used for the DI stage and the other two for prefilters...

The clear housing is to keep an eye on the sediment filter in combine with the TDS meter. This is my DI housing, which isn’t hooked up because I can’t get enough pressure to go through my Membrane to make it to the DI stages.
0D984000-6D97-4E66-9308-BEB13143305D.jpeg

And from what I have read you can’t increase the flow of booster pumps on decrease

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clear housing is to keep an eye on the sediment filter in combine with the TDS meter. This is my DI housing, which isn’t hooked up because I can’t get enough pressure to go through my Membrane to make it to the DI stages.
0D984000-6D97-4E66-9308-BEB13143305D.jpeg

And from what I have read you can’t increase the flow of booster pumps on decrease

Most Booster pumps are adjustable to tune the output PSI. And my apologies about the wrong installment of the filters, typically on a 4 stage systems the solid white housings are used for the sediment and carbon stages and the clear for the DI. I was unaware of your separate additional DI housings. Just went by what was in the pictures.

Last edited:

ryeguyy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows the water pressure in your house? I'm no expert but 20psi sounds like your shower would be pretty weak. Just wondering if it's a connection issue

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you on city water? If so, you probably can increase the water pressure coming into your house yourself. There are youtube videos showing how to do it. I agree with other posters, 20 is very low. I'm at 50 and hate taking a shower because of lack of pressure.

Have you tried by passing the ASOV to make sure it isn't the problem?

OP
OP
Irishman

Irishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to step away from the issue for now. When I get home I’ll try just doing one membrane and see what the pressure is like and also take off the ASOV

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back