Mike Jenkins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too much going on lately. Been slowly filling my two 65 gal tanks with rodi water. No leaks! I have to travel for work next week and will be gone for two weeks, so I'm waiting till I return and then I'll be ordering my live rock from KP in Florida to get them cycling.

Took advantage of that Klir 40% off sale and this showed up on Friday.
MVIMG_20200613_192506.jpg
How do you like this? Considering it for my sump, seen mixed reviews.

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like this? Considering it for my sump, seen mixed reviews.
I'm using two of them slaved together in my Bashsea sump. They are working fantastically so far. They really strip the water clean, and fast. No issues with operation to this point and based on roll progression to this point I'm liking the longevity. I had a lot of trepidation myself having followed a Klir thread on R2R early on but researching other options and watching the progression of this unit I felt it was the right way to go. For the cost and ease of use up till now I'm confident it was the right choice.

Last edited:

Mike Jenkins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at my build thread, I'm using two of them slaved together in my Bashsea sump. They are working fantastically so far. They really strip the water clean, and fast. No issues with operation to this point and based on roll progression to this point I'm liking the longevity.
Thanks for the info. I’m going to gove socks a go at first since I went to the trouble of installing a used washing machine just outside the fish room, but I’m all about the automation so I see myself trying two of these once I get tired of changing socks.

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I’m going to gove socks a go at first since I went to the trouble of installing a used washing machine just outside the fish room, but I’m all about the automation so I see myself trying two of these once I get tired of changing socks.
That's where I was at... I travel out to northern VA for weeks at a time so I'm setting up this tank for that reality and that's why I went with a fleece roller system and everything else I'm integrating for automation.

Mike Jenkins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's where I was at... I travel out to northern VA for weeks at a time so I'm setting up this tank for that reality and that's why I went with a fleece roller system and everything else I'm integrating for automation.
I’m always home, just lazy at times lol or focused on other projects. My excitement for the build comes and goes, that’s why it’s taken me almost a year to get to thus point.

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol sorry! I been collecting fish and learning how my tank runs day to day, monitoring param's, figuring out my kalk stirrer etc. Waiting for things to just settle and get in a groove. I had diatoms start to come in lightly for a couple days then they just up and disappeared. Some slight hair algae from the kps rocks was growing, not a lot but a bit. The tangs have all but wiped that out. Super happy in general, none of the uglies at all. Getting that live rock 50/50 reality paid off.

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to see the corraline come in and expand on the live rock more everyday. Sooner or later it'll get on to the marco. What I have is looking healthy. Latest additions are a hippo Tang, fire shrimp, two starcki Damsels, a white tailed Tang, two helfichi firefish and a rhomboid wrasse.

Reef370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to see the corraline come in and expand on the live rock more everyday. Sooner or later it'll get on to the marco. What I have is looking healthy. Latest additions are a hippo Tang, fire shrimp, two starcki Damsels, a white tailed Tang, two helfichi firefish and a rhomboid wrasse.
Are you using two part dosing? Or some kind of kalk thingamijig... that’s pretty quick to see coralline.... but then again you do have live rock in there too!

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol yeah! But at least you can see what they look like closer to what their true colors are in person! I held a red lens for my GoPro I got for snorkeling on the reefs for our upcoming vacation in January. It worked I think! But yeah, red planet for everything else lol

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using two part dosing? Or some kind of kalk thingamijig... that’s pretty quick to see coralline.... but then again you do have live rock in there too!
Just kalkwasser. When the live rock came out of the bins out was looking tired and faded because I didn't keep constant light on it to keep algae in check. Now it's starting to look vibrant and is expanding.

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hola! Been a while since I posted anything but in a bit of a lull here while the tank is just settling in. Just letting things mature and continuing to monitor parameters and system health for a while until I feel it's time to move into the next phase. Trying not to hurry that, as tempting as it is. Want some time between set up and adding corals to ensure that stability is consistent and I'm not going to hit any big algae issues etc. Knock on wood, the uglies have yet to appear and it's been around a month now.

I did get in two kessil A360X Tuna blues with a WiFi dongle and a KLink cable. I plan to add two more in due time, probably after the holidays. dang things are spendy. I installed them in the center of the tank, I'll add the next ones to the outside. Sure did whiten things up as well as increased the intensity and I really love the shimmer! I'll have to get a par meter before I get any coals so I can dial things in and know where I'm at. For now, the fish don't care.

PXL_20201030_181637151.MP.jpg

PXL_20201030_181618416.MP.jpg

Back