OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On another note, do you know how you got the image at the top of your build thread?
It didn't get there on accident lol. I can send send some screen shot steps if you still need help. Your build thread is the bomb btw

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added one of these yesterday, just got the dosing portion running today. I'll do a more in depth review/write up in a couple weeks once I've had time to learn more about it. Pretty excited! Only downside so far is it has to be within 3 feet of your water source which kinda chaps my @55 because I hate putting electronics under my stand next to water, but oh well.

1618586260573.png

1618586300536.png

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going great honestly. Would be going even better if I was home ever. I keep having to shut it down constantly due to travel. It's easy to restart from previous cultures tho. Guidelines say to use cultures less than 30 days old however. I've not tested the limits on this yet and all the ones I've restarted have been less than 30 days old and have been very successful. Harvested phyto is stored in the refrigerator and shaken approximately once a week or two and this seems to work well.

I was lazy and grabbed Poseiden's system because it let me be flexible in not having to designate a space for it. I.e. you don't have to mount lights and it can be set up literally in any available space that has access to power. To date I've produced 6 cultures (approx 1 gallon per culture) with zero crashes and 3 pod cultures. I'm hoping travel gets a break so I can run this wide open for a while as I'm chomping at the bit to get a pair of mandarins and a clam soon.

This system really works well!. You can be fancy and get their pouches or you can be cheap and store it in empty diet coke bottles (my girlfriend has a serious addiction to it so they are plentiful here).

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kansas city pink GIF by Polyvinyl Records
It's going great honestly. Would be going even better if I was home ever. I keep having to shut it down constantly due to travel. It's easy to restart from previous cultures tho. Guidelines say to use cultures less than 30 days old however. I've not tested the limits on this yet and all the ones I've restarted have been less than 30 days old and have been very successful. Harvested phyto is stored in the refrigerator and shaken approximately once a week or two and this seems to work well.

I was lazy and grabbed Poseiden's system because it let me be flexible in not having to designate a space for it. I.e. you don't have to mount lights and it can be set up literally in any available space that has access to power. To date I've produced 6 cultures (approx 1 gallon per culture) with zero crashes and 3 pod cultures. I'm hoping travel gets a break so I can run this wide open for a while as I'm chomping at the bit to get a pair of mandarins and a clam soon.

This system really works well!. You can be fancy and get their pouches or you can be cheap and store it in empty diet coke bottles (my girlfriend has a serious addiction to it so they are plentiful here).

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mmmmmm Phyto! Its so electrifying! I'm hungry! haha

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rob.bucek I’ve read conflicting statements regarding the use of phytoplankton to feed corals, although I’m convinced pods will eat it. How are you sure your corals are eating the phytoplankton?

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rob.bucek I’ve read conflicting statements regarding the use of phytoplankton to feed corals, although I’m convinced pods will eat it. How are you sure your corals are eating the phytoplankton?
I've read those as well. We know for sure copepods take advantage of phyto, and certainly clams (looking to get one at some point), perhaps some corals do a bit of filter feeding? I don't have solid answers or evidence there. I have also read that the phyto could potentially compete against unwanted algaes for nutrients tho I need to do more homework on this theory. It's certainly a foundational food in the chain for all ocean life and I view it as generally beneficial and interesting to pursue. Hoping to keep a healthy pod population at a minimum to eventually support a mandarin or two.

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the KLIR units working out for you? Do you have the Y cable and them linked together or are you running them independently?
Hello, yes the Klirs are joined with a 'Y' cable and are slaved together via one controller. I can't express how happy I am with how these units have been working for me so far. Been running them since last September now and they've been consistently reliable for me. I'm getting 45-60 days out of a roll, closer to 60 on average and have only had to change them out a handful of times so far. Takes about 15 minutes a unit between pulling them out, changing the roll and putting it back in. Every other roll I thoroughly clean the unit of any films or calcification deposits that can accumulate over time.

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update on the Alkatronic, WOW!! This thing is the bomb! Only downside is it's quite noisy when doing it's thing. Other than that this unit really delivers and since installing it my alk has been on point between 8-8.5. Prior, dosing just kalkwasser my alk would eventually slide over a two week period down to 7 or so.

I'm using the dosing head included in the unit to supplement Sodium Carbonate as needed and the unit does a great job at keeping it inline. It's programmed to not introduce huge swings and will only dose about .7dkh max at one time but tries to ease it in depending on measured difference and the set point. Once dialed in that wouldn't happen anyhow. I'm measuring every 6 hours at this point and I'm still using the included reagent from the initial purchase. I've bought a gallon of .1n Sulfuric acid to mix my own on the cheap once I run out of the reagent provided by Focustronic. I just have the unit dump the waste water back into the tank after it's done testing.

The app is super easy to use and quite intuitive for the most part. The blue points in the screen shot below indicate where it went over the upper set point. That was me dorking around with my tank doing maintenance and water level dropped and I forgot to shut off my ATO and it over dosed a little kalkwasser but not a terrible amount as you can see by the graph.

I got a cable and will eventually purchase a Neptune PM1 unit which will allow me to get Alk readings directly from my Neptune App!

1619897737590.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was sick of looking at my titanium heaters laying on the bottom of my sump because those cheap butt suction cups they include would never hold them up for longer than a couple days. Found this nifty little device at Octo Aquatics for $50 and it's powerful enough to easily hold up two 600w heaters. Looks great, and quality construction! Not a must have but just one of those things that makes you feel good about organization.

1620942895015.png

1620942920702.png

1620942939436.png

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back