OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the BTA on its own with the two clowns, make sure there’s no gaps it can climb through though and leave it for a few days to a few weeks and the clowns should host the BTA
Alone where and how do I detach the BTA to move him I’ll probably have to do this when everything is back to normal in my tank lol

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alone where and how do I detach the BTA to move him I’ll probably have to do this when everything is back to normal in my tank lol
Alone in a separate container, if the clowns are looking to host it will most likely take only a few minutes, and you don’t need to detach it you just have to take the rock it’s on and put the rock in its own container with water (obviously) and just wait a few minutes

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alone in a separate container, if the clowns are looking to host it will most likely take only a few minutes, and you don’t need to detach it you just have to take the rock it’s on and put the rock in its own container with water (obviously) and just wait a few minutes
I’ll definitely wait to do this until I know everything is good with the RFA and my tank has settled.

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys wanted to update you on the RFA he’s doing just fine and thriving he was actually in the process of splitting so that explains a lot lol

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys wanted to update you on the RFA he’s doing just fine and thriving he was actually in the process of splitting so that explains a lot lol
Ohh, That’s interesting. Mines at a nice 3-4” across and still not split (It may be because he’s happy or something)

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another thread on here that had a supposedly split RFA, I'm still confident that they don't split

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed that my RFA can sometimes contort into weird shapes. Perhaps that is what it’s doin. They definitely are some interesting animals.

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toadstools are sometimes known to leak toxins into the water. It’s best to have them downstream of the rest of your corals, so that it is filtered out before running past them. Replacing activated carbon every 3-5 days should keep toxins at bay. Invertebrates, such as anemones, are very sensitive to salinity changes, as well as any other inconsistencies. BTAs expel waste often (if fed often), and will look as you described. However, I haven’t seen my RFA do this. Though, it is not uncommon for coral, or anemones to release waste. On the other hand, you said that the mouth is gaping and it is losing color. Constant brown film being expelled, is a sign of heavy stress. It is most likely expelling zooxanthellae. Some corals do this in response to too much light, causing them to bleach. However, IME, anemones can never seem to get enough light. More than likely, it is swings in water parameters.

one more note. Anemones seem to tolerate ammonia less than a lot of SPS IME, so I’d make sure that it stays at 0.

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toadstools are sometimes known to leak toxins into the water. It’s best to have them downstream of the rest of your corals, so that it is filtered out before running past them. Replacing activated carbon every 3-5 days should keep toxins at bay. Invertebrates, such as anemones, are very sensitive to salinity changes, as well as any other inconsistencies. BTAs expel waste often (if fed often), and will look as you described. However, I haven’t seen my RFA do this. Though, it is not uncommon for coral, or anemones to release waste. On the other hand, you said that the mouth is gaping and it is losing color. Constant brown film being expelled, is a sign of heavy stress. It is most likely expelling zooxanthellae. Some corals do this in response to too much light, causing them to bleach. However, IME, anemones can never seem to get enough light. More than likely, it is swings in water parameters.

one more note. Anemones seem to tolerate ammonia less than a lot of SPS IME, so I’d make sure that it stays at 0.
Down stream lol I have the flow every where but hey I’ll try lol

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Down stream lol I have the flow every where but hey I’ll try lol
Try to put it near the overflow. Or you have a HOB filter, keep it near that. Wherever will pull the toxins away from coral and toward the activated carbon. Personally, my overflow is on the same side of the tank as the wave maker so it’s not always possible. Just thought I’d suggest it in case it was!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to put it near the overflow. Or you have a HOB filter, keep it near that. Wherever will pull the toxins away from coral and toward the activated carbon. Personally, my overflow is on the same side of the tank as the wave maker so it’s not always possible. Just thought I’d suggest it in case it was!
I agree with this, although RFA’s enjoy a lot more flow (Atleast mine does- He sits on the rocks close to the sandbed that are right below the wavemaker) so he’ll probably end up walking towards the internal pump (Wave makers)

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a separate mouth? Which is weird lol
RFAs don’t split and they don’t grow new heads. They can pinch themselves into weird shapes and stretch their mouths to make it look like they have more than one (or make it look like it’s splitting, been ripped open, or like it’s disappeared altogether). But I can assure you, it’s not splitting or growing new heads/mouths (anemones are singular organisms, they are not colonies like corals, they can’t grow multiple mouths like mushrooms and other corals can, some anemones are capable of asexual binary fission (splitting), but that is very different than growing a new head and RFAs are incapable of doing it anyway).

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back