Rocks above waterline?

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always wanted to build a tank like this. This is the coolest one I’ve seen!
C0D00E4A-DDA7-47D6-B1EE-109F4CA43432.jpeg

This guy even has a semi-aquatic crab that lives on the island.
https://reefbuilders.com/2009/11/06/aquascaping-box-volcano-tank-kyle-verry/

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Airplants in a saltwater aquarium is a new concept to me but I love the look! Do they do well over time? What type/species do you keep? Any special care requirements?

I've tried various air plants and other terrestrial plants which did well for a few months with constant misting, but eventually salt creep took it's toll. There are many salt tolerant plants that could work.

This was my Atoll in 2013...not designed as a reef, but more a saltwater paludarium....it is going be converted to a brackish tank soon.
Summer2013 021.jpg

Morning glories work for a while.
reef morning glory.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a little rearranging (without getting crazy) I have a rock that is about 1/4” from the waterline.

I do pretty large water changes so the top 6+ inches will be out of the water for up to 30 minutes when I change water.

It’s a fairly roundish/peaking rock so not big branches etc so I want to grow something that will give it good coverage plus it’s in the middle of the tank so it’s kind of a focal point now.

My question is this:

My gsp is pretty established on a different rock, so I don’t want more of that, but what can I put on this one that will cover pretty quickly and likes a lot of light, and a lot of flow, but can endure my 20-30 minutes of “out of water” time during water changes?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After a little rearranging (without getting crazy) I have a rock that is about 1/4” from the waterline.

I do pretty large water changes so the top 6+ inches will be out of the water for up to 30 minutes when I change water.

It’s a fairly roundish/peaking rock so not big branches etc so I want to grow something that will give it good coverage plus it’s in the middle of the tank so it’s kind of a focal point now.

My question is this:

My gsp is pretty established on a different rock, so I don’t want more of that, but what can I put on this one that will cover pretty quickly and likes a lot of light, and a lot of flow, but can endure my 20-30 minutes of “out of water” time during water changes?
Almost anything - when I do water changes 1/4 of my tank is out in the air - I try to splash it periodically - but not always

Nami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The volcano/tidepool tank is seriously amazing. Looks very natural, wish I can emulate it in my tank but I just cannot keep the sand pristine.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back