RODI draining

Cjbear087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am soon going to buy an RODI filter for under my bathroom sink and before I get it I need to know where to drill the hole in my drain pipe for the filter drain line. Some people have said do it above the tallest thread on the left side of the pictures, however I don’t think this would be a good idea as just above the threading it becomes metal which I don’t think I should be drilling into. The other option people have been suggesting is to drill just under the tallest thread. However, some people have objected to this as it can apparently release gases from the trap. Any ideas? Thanks. Also I am aware I can just put the line straight down into my sink but I would rather have it all hidden away and a bit neater.

PS. I have another post similar to this on the same thread as I am new to this forum and didn’t realise posts needed to be approved so I thought the first one was deleted which is why I’ve done this one :/

IMG_3817.jpeg IMG_3816.jpeg

OP
OP
C

Cjbear087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to drill above the level of the pipe going into the wall. Below that level is always full of water, and you don't want backflow or sewer gases entering the tubing from the RO.
Is there another way this can be done? I can’t drill above the pipe going into the wall as there is something which is like a metal bowl which I don’t think I can drill into

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re pretty limited there. Best place would be closest to the sink drain above water line, BUT, you can get away with creating your own loop. It is a drain so it is not pressurized. You can go just below those threads on the left, but make sure your rodi drain tube goes up HIGHER then where you drilled into, this will create a trap and not allow backflow. Basically make a loop that goes up high with the rodi tubing.

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so the red circle would be the optimal spot due to the height of the drain pipe.

That being said, if you saddle clamp it good as high as you can where the blue circle is, then have a loop that goes as high as possible under the sink, water cannot push back up into the RODi.

IMG_1203.jpeg

IMG_1203.jpeg

OP
OP
C

Cjbear087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so the red circle would be the optimal spot due to the height of the drain pipe.

That being said, if you saddle clamp it good as high as you can where the blue circle is, then have a loop that goes as high as possible under the sink, water cannot push back up into the RODi.

IMG_1203.jpeg

IMG_1203.jpeg
This is great stuff thank you, if I were to go with doing it on the red circle, would I be okay to drill into that metal? Secondly if doing the method with the tall loop how high would the cable have to be so water doesn’t come through? Also could gases still not escape out of the trap if I’m using blue method? Thanks, this is very helpful

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I don’t know how you’ll safely clamp and seal the tubing to the red circle area. Safest bet is blue circle. Loop should go as high as possible and secure it to underneath the countertop. Gasses can not escape that side as long as the trap stays wet. Using the sink once a day or when you make water will keep it wet.

OP
OP
C

Cjbear087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How bout a picture of the whole sink and cabinet from backed up
It’s a bit difficult to take a picture of the whole thing as all the plumbing is blocked by a drawer which I have to put my phone into when taking pictures. If I went on holiday for say a few weeks, would this cause an issue with the tap not being wet and let gases escape?

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a bit difficult to take a picture of the whole thing as all the plumbing is blocked by a drawer which I have to put my phone into when taking pictures. If I went on holiday for say a few weeks, would this cause an issue with the tap not being wet and let gases escape?
No, it would be no different then when you went on vacation without the rodi system.

Your only worry with the blue circle would be getting it sealed good so it doesn’t leak water. Which shouldn’t be hard with a saddle tap.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back