rodi tip

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try the BRS water saver upgrade if possible for your rodi unit. You basically add a second membrane and it cuts your waste pretty much in half. Also I run an auto flush system and was shocked to see how much that wastes. I still run it as my water is automated but if I manually made rodi water I would ditch it. The ratio of gallons made to gallons wasted published by most units does not account for flushing
Have to admit I never flush unless I remember to do it manually despite having an auto RODI ATO top off system running every 10 gallons or so. My input TDS is only around 70 though and the DI resin lasts over 6 months.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to admit I never flush unless I remember to do it manually despite having an auto RODI ATO top off system running every 10 gallons or so. My input TDS is only around 70 though and the DI resin lasts over 6 months.
I also find it odd that no drinking water only systems require a flush. They’re fine with just the waste restrictor. I’m not saying it’s not necessary, so don’t jump on me, just commenting. My tds is a bit higher, but I might try an experiment based on your experience.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also find it odd that no drinking water only systems require a flush. They’re fine with just the waste restrictor. I’m not saying it’s not necessary, so don’t jump on me, just commenting. My tds is a bit higher, but I might try an experiment based on your experience.
I have never flushed my membrane. I my opinion it started by a vendor adding it to there system to make theirs seem better

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wvned that's what I wanna know. I'm southwest area and my tds is odd from 100-200tds. I wanna know if I rerun my waste back into the ro how fast will the membrane deplete. If it's cheaper to buy membrane over my water bill then I might go this route.

That would depend on what is in your water. As soon as the concentration exceeded the solubility rate the membrane would start to scale. Test it plug the waste port and track how long it takes.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I don’t recommend this, I think we’re going to see a lot more on this topic. Especially if your in a drought area with severe water restrictions. There are water districts that are issuing fines and in extreme cases installing flow restrictors on your water meter if you use more water than they think you should be using. I got a little kick back when I asked about reducing water changes due to water restrictions. I already run dual membranes with a booster which supposedly cuts your waste water in half, but that doesn’t calculate flushing. Auto flush systems are great as far as convenience but I’ve found that mine wastes a lot more water than one would think. The problem is where else can one cut back? You already have flow limiting shower heads, faucets, toilets that you have to flush twice, low water dishwasher, high efficiency clothes washer, drip irrigation and rotors (if Heaven forbid you have any grass) on a smart controller. It’s getting to where you have to dip your toothbrush in the toilet to brush before you have your morning constitutional. I know people having grey water recovery systems being installed to capture sink and shower waste water, direct it to a tank and pump it into irrigation and the clothes washer. That’s on top of already collecting rainwater for irrigation. I know this sounds crazy, but it’s happening. These aren’t hippie, commune type people either. These are normal people in somewhat wealthy areas of Southern California.
This it really nuts! I guess I'm a little surprised that they bother fining people and installing restriction devices instead of just charging them at a higher rate after reaching a certain threshold. Never think about these things in areas with lots of water.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This it really nuts! I guess I'm a little surprised that they bother fining people and installing restriction devices instead of just charging them at a higher rate after reaching a certain threshold. Never think about these things in areas with lots of water.
Yeah, certain areas are pretty bonkers and it’s spreading as more and more of the southwestern us is in severe drought. I’m trying to be a little preemptive seeing what some of my old socal buddies are going through. Right now I’m only in phase one water restrictions but phase two will be coming up in a couple months with lake mead being as low as it is.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, certain areas are pretty bonkers and it’s spreading as more and more of the southwestern us is in severe drought. I’m trying to be a little preemptive seeing what some of my old socal buddies are going through. Right now I’m only in phase one water restrictions but phase two will be coming up in a couple months with lake mead being as low as it is.

So does everyone have a dual membrane RO system out there? Or buy from the LFS that may at least get corporate water rates?

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So does everyone have a dual membrane RO system out there? Or buy from the LFS that may at least get corporate water rates?
Interesting question..,,I haven’t heard from the business side of things. Everyone I know in SoCal has the dual membrane setup at home. I would think that they would put the screws to everyone, residential, business, industrial, agriculture and construction. It’s funny how as this is the World Wide Web, just how many people haven’t heard how tight the water is getting in some areas. Here in Arizona our current governor is even trying to work with Mexico to build a desalination plant to secure the states water in the future. That’s a lot of pipeline and pumping!

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting question..,,I haven’t heard from the business side of things. Everyone I know in SoCal has the dual membrane setup at home. I would think that they would put the screws to everyone, residential, business, industrial, agriculture and construction. It’s funny how as this is the World Wide Web, just how many people haven’t heard how tight the water is getting in some areas. Here in Arizona our current governor is even trying to work with Mexico to build a desalination plant to secure the states water in the future. That’s a lot of pipeline and pumping!

I kind of suspect that companies are exempt from the water conservation rules, or at least play by a different rule book. Could be wrong though.

I've heard about the drought (from here in MA) but honestly only because YouTube served me a video about Lake Mead. I've also heard about the rolling blackouts in CA. Must be hard to have a reef there.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back