Roller mat install

Which type of installation would you choose

• Move the skimmer to the second chamber and the refugium to the first chamber with the roller mat

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ordered a roller mat knowing that i may need to modify my sump a bit. Please give me your thoughts on which type of installation you would chose. The sump is a 3 chamber trigger crystal 36. I cannot remove and replace the sump with another type of sump due to the front bracing of the stand although I'm sure I could take it out but I'd be nervous as the tank is 125 gallons. Also, the way the stand was constructed (bought second hand) this size sump was my best option. The roller mat is a Bubble Magus Filter Roller - Medium. Thanks

rollermat.jpg

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ordered a roller mat knowing that i may need to modify my sump a bit. Please give me your thoughts on which type of installation you would chose. The sump is a 3 chamber trigger crystal 36. I cannot remove and replace the sump with another type of sump due to the front bracing of the stand although I'm sure I could take it out but I'd be nervous as the tank is 125 gallons. Also, the way the stand was constructed (bought second hand) this size sump was my best option. The roller mat is a Bubble Magus Filter Roller - Medium. Thanks

rollermat.jpg
I have to install one as well! Following close...

OP
OP
ShoreReefer

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue with my Trigger 20C on my 120. I notched out the hooks for the roller and hung it near the drain and just used silicone hose to the roller.

I'm a huge don't cut out the sock holder because once you do, you cant go back.
20211130_061032_HDR.jpg 20211130_061058_HDR.jpg
I agree i don't want to cut out the holders if i don't have to and that's why I'm leaning towards switching the location of the skimmer and refugium to make it all work.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree i don't want to cut out the holders if i don't have to and that's why I'm leaning towards switching the location of the skimmer and refugium to make it all work.
I was lucky as I already that I had the filter roller when I bought the sump, so I knew my skimmer dimensions I had to work with to squeeze it all into the drain chamber. What kind of skimmer are you running, looks like a external pump setup?

OP
OP
ShoreReefer

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was lucky as I already that I had the filter roller when I bought the sump, so I knew my skimmer dimensions I had to work with to squeeze it all into the drain chamber. What kind of skimmer are you running, looks like a external pump setup?
Yes it is an external pump setup. Reef Octopus 150

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No water changes for 4 months on my 340 gallon display with 26 fish - several large / fat.

Exports:
Turbo Aquatics ATS (L4)
Diablo Reef Octopus skimmer (huge) rated for 500 gallons moderate load
Just installed Large Bubble magus roller filter on my primary overflow (we'll see how long a roll lasts).
I also have a Nu-Clear 25 micron cannister filter plumbed off of my return pump (to help polish the water)- I clean the cartridge every three weeks in bleach.

Other methods of export:
I have various types of green hair algae that grow along the trim of my tank. I pull out a hand full every 2 weeks or so. It doesn't grow anywhere on the glass or the rocks other than at the trim / water line.. So weird.

Coral exports: I've heard these both take in nutrients
I have a ton of Xenia
I have a large matt of GSP

I let the glass grow in heavy with film algae for a month or two, then scrape thoroughly, replace filter socks and replace cannister filter next day. However, now the roller mat should just pull all that out. ;)

BHHOWARD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also considering the Bubble magus filter roller, but I don't see a lot of feedback on it. How is the roller mat working?

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also considering the Bubble magus filter roller, but I don't see a lot of feedback on it. How is the roller mat working?
I had contacted support because the motor didn't consistently trigger. They sent me a replacement motor no questions asked, and sent a prepaid shipping bag to return the old one. After replacing the roller motor it's been working flawlessly now for almost 6-7 days. I installed it on 12/30. And am hoping the roll will last until 1/31. Right now it's gone through about 15-20 % of the role. It handles my water flow just fine and is working great. No washing of filter socks in the clothes washer anymore!

I thought I would need two filter rollers, but one is doing the job. The only issue / complaint so far is that the intake plumbing for the roller is male. Which fits all my 1.5" plumbing o.k. but I can't glue the plumbing so some water leaks out the side of the plumbing into the sump. Not a big deal, but 10-20% of the water is not going through the roller mat. I'm hoping when I redo all of my sump plumbing in the next month or so, that I can get a better fit for the roller mat so most of the water goes through it. I think a simple fix to this design is to have a female housing on the filter roller so the over flow is flowing into the female plumbing and less chance of it flowing out the sides. . . I may modify by permanently glueing a female joint to the roller mat and then snuggly fitting my overflow pipe into the housing. Should reduce noise and increase the flow of water through the roller mat.

That said, as is, it's still filtering my water and providing nice clear water in the display.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall I'm happy with it. Some issues with burning through media, but now that's in hand, I love it. I currently have two in service on two different tanks. My current setup is heavily modded (it's monitored/controlled by APEX) I'm a fairly early adopter of the BM roller, the newer models resolved a few of the problems.

Attachments

• 20211130_061032_HDR.jpg
    20211130_061032_HDR.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 62

BHHOWARD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had contacted support because the motor didn't consistently trigger. They sent me a replacement motor no questions asked, and sent a prepaid shipping bag to return the old one. After replacing the roller motor it's been working flawlessly now for almost 6-7 days. I installed it on 12/30. And am hoping the roll will last until 1/31. Right now it's gone through about 15-20 % of the role. It handles my water flow just fine and is working great. No washing of filter socks in the clothes washer anymore!

I thought I would need two filter rollers, but one is doing the job. The only issue / complaint so far is that the intake plumbing for the roller is male. Which fits all my 1.5" plumbing o.k. but I can't glue the plumbing so some water leaks out the side of the plumbing into the sump. Not a big deal, but 10-20% of the water is not going through the roller mat. I'm hoping when I redo all of my sump plumbing in the next month or so, that I can get a better fit for the roller mat so most of the water goes through it. I think a simple fix to this design is to have a female housing on the filter roller so the over flow is flowing into the female plumbing and less chance of it flowing out the sides. . . I may modify by permanently glueing a female joint to the roller mat and then snuggly fitting my overflow pipe into the housing. Should reduce noise and increase the flow of water through the roller mat.

That said, as is, it's still filtering my water and providing nice clear water in the display.
Thx for the feedback. Seems encouraging.

BHHOWARD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall I'm happy with it. Some issues with burning through media, but now that's in hand, I love it. I currently have two in service on two different tanks. My current setup is heavily modded (it's monitored/controlled by APEX) I'm a fairly early adopter of the BM roller, the newer models resolved a few of the problems.
Good to hear longer-term usage. Thank you.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back