Roller mats v skimmers

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So roller mat v skimmer. One is mechanical filtration other is to remove minut organics, they both benefit if used together. Personally I like simple and if I can achieve success doing it simple, I would be happy. But each their own.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So roller mat v skimmer. One is mechanical filtration other is to remove minut organics, they both benefit if used together. Personally I like simple and if I can achieve success doing it simple, I would be happy. But each their own.
Much of what I do is kept simple and it works for me, tried and tested over many years. Bit of biological media, skimmer, ATS, and later a kalk or calc reactor. Don't need not want fancy micro computer controllers.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much of what I do is kept simple and it works for me, tried and tested over many years. Bit of biological media, skimmer, ATS, and later a kalk or calc reactor. Don't need not want fancy micro computer controllers.
If designed right, ATS can be one of the most effective tools to combat NO3 & PO4 possibly more.
How long you have tank?

Last edited:

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how mechanical filtration can get any simpler. Mechanical filters have been the most basic and some of the first systems to go mainstream in the aquatics hobby. From hang on filter cartridges, to canister filters, to filter bags. Hell even bio ball systems had filter pad trays. An ATS relies on some sort of light control and if you're using LED lights, guess what? They have microprocessors.

As for a roller mat. They can be as simple as you want without a microprocessor. Pretty easy to DIY as well. A float switch, relay and a motor. Same thing with skimmers. It's a pump with a venturi. No microprocessor unless you want one.

Filter bags require nothing.

As for a the argument against a controller, which is not the topic, nor is microprocessors, a little forethought goes a long way. Splitting life support equipment over two circuits is a wise move. Most tank crashes are loss of power or heater malfunctions. Most reefers don't have battery backups or controllers on their heaters. Not smart. And if you travel a lot a controller is a necessity.

Anyway, blanket condemnations should always be met with skepticism. There's a ton of different bio type aquariums, sizes and goals. For most new hobbyists I would take advice to not run skimmers or mechanical filtration with a grain of salt.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how mechanical filtration can get any simpler. Mechanical filters have been the most basic and some of the first systems to go mainstream in the aquatics hobby. From hang on filter cartridges, to canister filters, to filter bags. Hell even bio ball systems had filter pad trays. An ATS relies on some sort of light control and if you're using LED lights, guess what? They have microprocessors.

As for a roller mat. They can be as simple as you want without a microprocessor. Pretty easy to DIY as well. A float switch, relay and a motor. Same thing with skimmers. It's a pump with a venturi. No microprocessor unless you want one.

Filter bags require nothing.

As for a the argument against a controller, which is not the topic, nor is microprocessors, a little forethought goes a long way. Splitting life support equipment over two circuits is a wise move. Most tank crashes are loss of power or heater malfunctions. Most reefers don't have battery backups or controllers on their heaters. Not smart. And if you travel a lot a controller is a necessity.

Anyway, blanket condemnations should always be met with skepticism. There's a ton of different bio type aquariums, sizes and goals. For most new hobbyists I would take advice to not run skimmers or mechanical filtration with a grain of salt.
I forgot I do have dosing pumps with programmer, I use it, if gone for more than 2 days. I do use that microprocessor from time to time. Also gyres, and mine cycle timers. If I had SPS, I would have certain devices with microprocessor. But what I deal with 90% has to be invented. Info we been passed on for NPS 50% useful. Bummer

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot I do have dosing pumps with programmer, I use it, if gone for more than 2 days. I do use that microprocessor from time to time. Also gyres, and mine cycle timers. If I had SPS, I would have certain devices with microprocessor. But what I deal with 90% has to be invented. Info we been passed on for NPS 50% useful. Bummer
NPS systems are generally on another level. Tough to maintain the balance of clean and well fed to algae. Lol I have a couple NPS corals in my tank now, purely just because of the rock they came in on. A Gulf Cup Coral and a Occulina Robusta from the Gulf. Which I believe is actually invasive and came from the Mediterranean a 100 years or so ago. I'd love to do a Gulf biotype one day. Tons of tunicates, sponges, NPS coral, gorgonians, barnacles, etcetera.

Eric Miller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of it this way.....

Roller mats or any type of mechanical filtration has to have that stuff go down your overflow to be collected. What about the stuff that settles inside the display and never makes it to the mechanical filtration?

It will break down in the display adding itself to the water column as DOC's, and that's what the skimmer will remove that the mechanical filtration doesn't.
I think using a skimmer is a must no matter what you are doing!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer = oxygenating the water increasing the pH.....that's the most forgotten fact about Skimmers

I would use a skimmer even if it did nothing but aerate.

Last edited:

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers don’t necessarily increase pH and in many cases drive down pH if the air being drawn into the skimmer has a high CO2 level.
True it is not young Jedi....

Connected to tube, Outside air to skimmer, is proper use young Jedi

chinkle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a bare bottom with roller mat / filter roller with refugium and no skimmer. I cant get my nitrates and phosphates above zero on test kits (red sea nitrate, hanna phophate) with a moderate bio load / feeding. So right now I don't have a strong need for a skimmer. I would agree with above comments that they're complementing devices. Also agree with benefits of the skimmer being oxygenation/ventilation and pH benefits. But, its also more work to maintain a skimmer than a filter roller. I won't ever go back to socks or floss again, filter rollers are super convenient and skimmers can be a pain to adjust and maintain. I may one day add a skimmer if I have a need for increased nutrient removal, but for now I like being skimmer-less.
Wow! This is really a hot topic and I am just beginning! I can't take credit for the idea. A close friend of mine has reef tank that is maintained by a commercial outfit. Super clear healthy tank-no skimmer, no socks. Reef Roller, Algae scrubber and a sediment filter and a chiller I believe. I was watching a company tour of the BRS offices in MN during the walk through the guy that is the go to tech/trouble shooter on aquarium disasters was running a Reefmat, algae scrubber and pretty sure it was an Eheim canister filter or sediment filter-no protein skimmer. I don't know much at this point and definitely not opposed to protein skimmers just don't want to spend more than I need to. Right now I know I don't need one as I haven't even set up my tank. Trying to focus on getting all my room ready, electrical and AWC/ATO/mixing station and like the debate!

chinkle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! This is really a hot topic and I am just beginning! I can't take credit for the idea. A close friend of mine has reef tank that is maintained by a commercial outfit. Super clear healthy tank-no skimmer, no socks. Reef Roller, Algae scrubber and a sediment filter and a chiller I believe. I was watching a company tour of the BRS offices in MN during the walk through the guy that is the go to tech/trouble shooter on aquarium disasters was running a Reefmat, algae scrubber and pretty sure it was an Eheim canister filter or sediment filter-no protein skimmer. I don't know much at this point and definitely not opposed to protein skimmers just don't want to spend more than I need to. Right now I know I don't need one as I haven't even set up my tank. Trying to focus on getting all my room ready, electrical and AWC/ATO/mixing station and like the debate!
Well bought a skimmer and ditched the reef mat. Didn't think I needed both at least right now. I think after a year I might re-evaluate...I have never been much of an early adopter and feel like they will get better and you might laugh but having to stock another item i.e. spare roller mats is a negative to me. Last time I looked they were about 30 bucks each and expected to last a month.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back