Rubbermaid Stock Tank 55

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Built this over the weekend. The concrete mixing tub build just wasn’t cutting it.
Materials:
Leftover lumber taking up space in the garage- free
Rubbermaid stock tank- 60$
40 gal stock tank- 34$
Bulkhead, fittings, and 2” pvc- 30$
1” pvc for light “rack”-10$

D0FE759B-42BF-4DEB-A6DF-965B0A340C64.jpeg 62A8CE72-3AC3-4402-9DC3-A4544BAD0C78.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like it! Is the 40g the sump for the 55g? Did either one of the stock tanks need a frame for bowing or is the lumber just for a stand? What lights are you using?

OP
OP
Teemingtank

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it! Is the 40g the sump for the 55g? Did either one of the stock tanks need a frame for bowing or is the lumber just for a stand? What lights are you using?
Thank you!
Both are solid construction so no need for frames. The stand is ugly, and the pvc light “rack”. I’m the only one that really looks at it so I don’t care :)
Kessil 360’s, one is the ne the other is the we. I also have a black box between them, but I only run blues on that one, roughly 6hours a day.
The bowfront from my old build thread is gone, too deep for my liking. This will be the last one for a while!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a bunch of tanks and most of mine are primarily functional so this is my kind of build! Good work!

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
perfectly timed post. I've recently had explosive zoa/paly, leathers, and shrooms growth in my 150.
I was looking at a 40 breeder, drilled with an overflow, in case I decided to add a sump. pricing was killing me.
and then I just happened across this same stock tank. got me to thinking. and you convinced me. :)

OP
OP
Teemingtank

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
perfectly timed post. I've recently had explosive zoa/paly, leathers, and shrooms growth in my 150.
I was looking at a 40 breeder, drilled with an overflow, in case I decided to add a sump. pricing was killing me.
and then I just happened across this same stock tank. got me to thinking. and you convinced me. :)
Do it! The way I plumbed it is virtually silent . It could probably use a little more surface skimming, but the 2” bulkhead limited my placement. The plus side of the 2” is that I can upgrade my return pump at anytime..
What I really like is the curved walls. You can easily manipulate flow and make maintenance much easier. The two kessils are more than enough to light it, I just added the black box for the aesthetics, it allows me to grow coral pretty much anywhere in the tank.

OP
OP
Teemingtank

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump is roughly 30” so there’s a little play room for other equipment!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 139

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do it! The way I plumbed it is virtually silent . It could probably use a little more surface skimming, but the 2” bulkhead limited my placement. The plus side of the 2” is that I can upgrade my return pump at anytime..
What I really like is the curved walls. You can easily manipulate flow and make maintenance much easier. The two kessils are more than enough to light it, I just added the black box for the aesthetics, it allows me to grow coral pretty much anywhere in the tank.
not sure if I'm going to do a sump. if I do it will be another of these stock tanks underneath. if I do, I'm thinking DIY "overflow box" with a power head for the out, gate valve to tune it in, and a powerhead return.

OP
OP
Teemingtank

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure if I'm going to do a sump. if I do it will be another of these stock tanks underneath. if I do, I'm thinking DIY "overflow box" with a power head for the out, gate valve to tune it in, and a powerhead return.
That’s going to be awesome! I’m interested to see how you do the overflow. I was thinking you could easily make one with plexi and silicone when I was tinkering with mine.

OP
OP
Teemingtank

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s going to be awesome! I’m interested to see how you do the overflow. I was thinking you could easily make one with plexi and silicone when I was tinkering with mine.
Lot of room to play with

Attachments

• B45A4F79-AA11-4FE4-89E4-750611B33E62.jpeg
    B45A4F79-AA11-4FE4-89E4-750611B33E62.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 128

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thinking 3" diameter pvc, saw cuts for "teeth", end caps with the pump attached at one end. some sort of hanger bracket. not looking for pretty. it will be in the fish/utility room.

OP
OP
Teemingtank

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thinking 3" diameter pvc, saw cuts for "teeth", end caps with the pump attached at one end. some sort of hanger bracket. not looking for pretty. it will be in the fish/utility room.
You just gave me some inspiration on how to increase my surface skimming. I’m going to experiment with a T. Going to run a piece of pvc 7” below the surface, cap it, and notch teeth to my desired water level on the top. If my thinking is correct the water will have to fall down the pvc with more force before reaching my drain

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just gave me some inspiration on how to increase my surface skimming. I’m going to experiment with a T. Going to run a piece of pvc 7” below the surface, cap it, and notch teeth to my desired water level on the top. If my thinking is correct the water will have to fall down the pvc with more force before reaching my drain
report back with pics. :)

OP
OP
Teemingtank

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just gave me some inspiration on how to increase my surface skimming. I’m going to experiment with a T. Going to run a piece of pvc 7” below the surface, cap it, and notch teeth to my desired water level on the top. If my thinking is correct the water will have to fall down the pvc with more force
report back with pics. :)
What I came up with, kinda like a coast to coast. Pulls a little more than the last design which is good enough for me!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 107

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I came up with, kinda like a coast to coast. Pulls a little more than the last design which is good enough for me!
I like it. I'm thinking of attaching the smallest powerhead I can find to pump out going so I don't have to drill the tank. thoughts?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like it. I'm thinking of attaching the smallest powerhead I can find to pump out going so I don't have to drill the tank. thoughts?
What happens if the pump quits? Is there redundancy?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I am understanding the setup the easiest way to do it is to drill the tank/container, however there are other options which include a siphon (which is used in an HOB external overflow) or a pump. Because there is a chance for the siphon and/or pump to fail (risking an overflow), then a backup is to add a float valve above the normal fill line to shut off the return pump.

OP
OP
Teemingtank

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens if the pump quits? Is there
If I am understanding the setup the easiest way to do it is to drill the tank/container, however there are other options which include a siphon (which is used in an HOB external overflow) or a pump. Because there is a chance for the siphon and/or pump to fail (risking an overflow), then a backup is to add a float valve above the normal fill line to shut off the return pump.
Could he do two containers of the same size and do a passive drain pipe, drill the holes low enough to add a overflow box In the future?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back