Ryan's Biome Cycling Talk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, do you guys get this metric they used and why they made it sound so important?

One measurement they used that I didn't quite understand was the "balance". Im sure they explained it somewhere and I just missed it but it sounded like it is a comparison between the DNA analysis of each tank compared to an average tank but how do they determine that it's best to have a tank that's close to the average? How did they determine that a tank with an altogether different DNA analysis wouldn't be beneficial in some way or to certain organisms?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sadly, AquaBiomics will likely go down as a major swing and miss IMO.

The best part about the experiments that BRS ran is it showed real world experience on multiple setups that were all setup in a different way. The DNA results are useless IMO. Knowing there is way more bacteria A compared to bacteria B and C is useless unless we actually know what that means and how we combat it...if it is ACTUALLY a problem to begin with.

This is one truck I would never hitch my trailer to. It wreaks of UWC/Vibrant type claims

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The best part about the experiments that BRS ran is it showed real world experience on multiple setups that were all setup in a different way. The DNA results are useless IMO. Knowing there is way more bacteria A compared to bacteria B and C is useless unless we actually know what that means and how we combat it...if it is ACTUALLY a problem to begin with.

This is one truck I would never hitch my trailer to. It wreaks of UWC/Vibrant type claims
I agree it was interesting to see how each setup handled the ugly phase but involving the DNA analysis was unneeded and if anything took something away from the study

pusztareefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’ve just seen the whole series and the primer, and finding it very interesting, what they are trying to show.

I have a little experience with reef tank keeping, but consider myself a newbie.

what i understand of it, is that we should try from the beginning to set up a system that can deal with most problems on its own, this can be achieved tru biodiversity.
they showed us, true these test, which setup gets us there relatively fast and affordable.

i’m currently setting up a 60l nano, and for me personally, this was a great help, especially because, without knowing I did some things right already :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:.
Having watched this, helps me, how to proceed.

just my two cents

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I highly doubt that. It takes time to build up the database then more time, and money, to perform the constant analysis. This will be an ever evolving process.

I will say that most hobbyist do not know how to interpret the results even with Eli giving details with each result set. This is the main issue that I see currently facing this test. How does the hobbyist interpret the results and it isn't even unique to this specific topic at hand. Look at ICP and the countless posts with hobbyist asking for help understanding those.

The hobby needs to reset expectations around the different phases of home marine aquaria and what is visually seen each step of the way. This has been discussed and written about years ago not sure why this is so hard to grasp (note I know this isn't something you are talking about but keying in another post talking about the ugly phase).

Hope your day is going great.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You’re missing the entire point of what I’m saying. You can buy pods. You can buy products like ocean direct sand and AF life source. Why buy ocean cured rock and pay to have it shipped? You still need to dark cure it for weeks. You still need to quarantine it for hitchhiking pests, and even after that process you’re still not guaranteed to have over come everything. The whole series was supposed to give you an introspective look into what’s going on at a microscopic level in our tanks, and you’re using it to defend outdated practices and keep with the status quo. There’s a reason our tanks aren’t filled with Xenia and lit by black lights anymore. You can do it, but why?
Well, I can tell you that I am on day 2 (technically 32 hours) into dark curing 70 pounds of wet (shipped on SW in water) gulf rock. The cost of the rock and the air bill worked out to be $12.50 a pound. So, I am good paying a little less then wet rock from the LFS and this is our second tank using it and doing it the in the same fashion. We actually like the "hitchhiker phase". The last tank we waited a couple months before we did anything. We learned you could go "fishing" for bad things and use a suction stick (name?) to get the phuckers. This time, we have had a weird experience. The pictures attached are at the 12 hour mark. We counted about 100 items that died off instantly. Temps 78 salinity 35. Tank had great flow, etc. I guess we won't have to worry about hitchhikers... Unfortunately this tank is in our bedroom and we are now forced to sleep in another room as even after 2 water changes it still has a smell to it... Wife isn't super happy :)
IMG_0879.jpg
IMG_3107.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 84.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back