Safe...or pest ?

Transporter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so after a couple days of searching, I have still not come to a solid determination as to what kind of inhabitants can be safely kept with Zoas & paly's . Other than the obvious zoa eating nudi's and obvious non-reef safe fish, are there any other certain fish / inverts to be warry of ? Or is this all mostly a 50-50 chance ?
Now, what I am not talking about is how some Gobies will cover up low laying corals...that is for any coral. What I am talking about is I have read that green emerald crabs have a peculiar "taste" for Zoas. Does that go for all crabs, just hermit crabs, just the green emerald crab ? Also, I read on a post that someone's sexy shrimp developed a taste for their zoas, as well. Does this include all shrimp, just the sexy shrimp, small shrimp, cleaner shrimp,etc ? See where I am going with this ? I do understand that with shrimp, the general consensus is that if they are fed well, they "shouldn't" mess with zoas...but does this pertain to all of them ?

I am getting ready to turn one of my spare aquariums into a Zoa/paly garden, and am curious to the inhabitants that are known to be safe with them.

Thanks,
~S~

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so after a couple days of searching, I have still not come to a solid determination as to what kind of inhabitants can be safely kept with Zoas & paly's . Other than the obvious zoa eating nudi's and obvious non-reef safe fish, are there any other certain fish / inverts to be warry of ? Or is this all mostly a 50-50 chance ?
Now, what I am not talking about is how some Gobies will cover up low laying corals...that is for any coral. What I am talking about is I have read that green emerald crabs have a peculiar "taste" for Zoas. Does that go for all crabs, just hermit crabs, just the green emerald crab ? Also, I read on a post that someone's sexy shrimp developed a taste for their zoas, as well. Does this include all shrimp, just the sexy shrimp, small shrimp, cleaner shrimp,etc ? See where I am going with this ? I do understand that with shrimp, the general consensus is that if they are fed well, they "shouldn't" mess with zoas...but does this pertain to all of them ?

I am getting ready to turn one of my spare aquariums into a Zoa/paly garden, and am curious to the inhabitants that are known to be safe with them.

Thanks,
~S~
The only problem I've had with my cleaner shrimp and hermit crabs is stealing food. That was back when I was spot feeding, but now that I rely more on broadcast feeding it hasn't been an issue. The only problem with this question (and most of the questions in this hobby looking for a solid answer) is that most the answers will be anecdotal at best. A lot of "IME..." type stuff, but if you look hard enough I'm sure you'll find information somewhere that someone has had problems with things that most do not.

OP
OP
Transporter

Transporter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is kinda what I was thinking as well. I just wasn't sure if there were any definite no-no's or "for sure's". Thank you for the honest opinion !
~S~

Last edited:

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is kinda what I was thinking as well. I just wasn't sure I there were any definite no-no's or "for sure's". Thank you for the honest opinion !
~S~
Yeah, it's a confusing and sometimes frustrating game we have all played at one point. I'd say go with the majority and if you get a different result, post about it! The best thing we can do for our community is spread knowledge and experiences to help those after us!

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed cleaner shrimp out of my system because it's just pure annoying to some corals and anemone, they steal food and at some points they keep poking corals/anemones and keep making them close up, they did the same to my clams. I'm a lot happier without those shrimps in my tank. Same for pistol shrimp/watchman goby pair. The CUC I'm refer now are snails and scarlet hermits. For fish I'm having royal gamma, purple firefish, six lines wrasses and Bangai Cardinal. Oh, I removed a pair Percular Clownfish too just because they are freaking silly and always try to host something they shouldn't try to host.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back