safe solvent to clean silicone reside

  • Thread starter Thread starter erm0715
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

erm0715

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 3, 2022
Messages
103
Reaction score
29
Location
Wilson
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a used 120 and the person I bought it from resealed it with black silicone. There's black silicone in various places around the tank (not corners for sealing) that i've scrapped off with a putty knife however there's still a bit of residue.

Anyone recommend a safe solvent to removing this that will not have any negative impacts when filled?
 
To get 25 Year old Silicone Glue off of a Whirlpool Tub, I used a personal silicone based lube, applied it several times and left on overnight. I easily scraped it off with Plastic Razor Blades the next day. BTW, it “damaged,” all the Silicone, so if you don’t want to touch the Silicone that’s between the glass edges, I wouldn’t use this.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 18.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new