Salinity levels, why 35 ppt

Beats001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of synthetic salt companies recommend different salinity levels for different tank types e.g. fish only is 30 ppt and reef is 35 ppt.

My question is:
Do they recommend 35 ppt because of the increased micro and macro element levels at that salinity? Or because the corals need a salt level at this point?

The reason I ask is because I need to have the salinity of my particular salt mix to be at 32 ppt to get the desired macro element levels, that match what I keep my tank at.

So is this ok, or should I mix something seperate to bring the salinity up, that won't affect the macro and micro elements?

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higher salinity has more elements. With that being said Fish only systems generally run a lower level as it’s believed to keep some diseases at bay. Hypo salinity helps lower the chances of marine ich, possibly velvet etc that could be introduced with feeder fish or feeder shrimp. Many of the high end SPS dealers run higher salinity then 1.025 BattleCorals for example I believe said on their website they run closer to 1.028

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All pretty much been cover NSW values. Depending on what salt you use the difference between 1.025-1.028 could hypothetically using mag take you up from 1,260 to 1,320 which would better a match from your water parameters. I stick with 1.026 just as a rule generally with Fritz RPM Alk 8.5-9 / CAL 460-480 / MAG 1320-1350 / K 400-410 jives fairly well for keeping stonies. Exceeding 1.027-1.028 would leave less room for error if the salinity were to get off my corals start to get unhappy at 1.030.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question isnt "should I keep my tank at 35 ppt because I have corals". Since 35 ppt is the salinity of the ocean, that answer is pretty clear. (There are small regions where its different, but nearly the whole ocean stays at 35 ppt without any variation. Including nearly all reefs)

The question in my mind is, where did hobbyists ever come up with the idea of running their tanks at anything BUT 35 ppt? :)

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think having slightly higher elements in your salt mix is going to make or break anything anyways. Why are you so worried about the elements and not the salinity? I never see good things when salinity gets under 1.024. Salinity matter to a degree but I have seen tanks that run some elements at unbelievable levels and they look amazing.

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think having slightly higher elements in your salt mix is going to make or break anything anyways. Why are you so worried about the elements and not the salinity? I never see good things when salinity gets under 1.024. Salinity matter to a degree but I have seen tanks that run some elements at unbelievable levels and they look amazing.

I agree for my clients tanks I mix at 1.021-1.023. I was more so speaking in general bc it’s something people really consider and do. As far 1.026 guideline I just stick to what I’ve always done there’s really no other reason. If ain’t broke don’t fix it mentality lol

OP
OP
Beats001

Beats001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all that have replied.
It seems there are a mix of people that are concerned with salinity levels and others element levels.
In an ideal world when we mix up a batch of salt at 35 ppt it would be consistent every time, but unfortunately this is never the case.

I run a balling method and it has taken time to get ions balanced, now doing water changes can throw this out.
So I am considering lowering the ppt in my water change water to match my tank params. Given batches of salt are always different i may have to mix to say 32 -37 potentially.

Just wanted to see what peoples thoughts were.
Also is salinity a measure of all elements or just salt in water?

So could i mix to 33 ppt then add some pure salt additive to raise the salinity but not the other elements?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a salt with lower calcium and mag and raise it. Lowering dKh is easy.

I use IO - whole 50g bag in 44g brute... 1.026, 20mls of muratic brings dKh down to about 6.8 and a few tablespoons of dowflake brings the calcium to 425. There is not a salt on the planet that will mix to 1.026 and where I want the macro elements, so I would have to doctor anything, but it is easy and only takes a few seconds.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So could i mix to 33 ppt then add some pure salt additive to raise the salinity but not the other elements?
If you follow that path you will use around 5.7 % lesser salt mix, hence get 5.7 % lesser concentration of all compounds in the salt mix. With pure salt additive I suppose you mean pure NaCl

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Beats001

Beats001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thats my goal lessen the concentration with a bit of Math, dependent on the levels I test on my new batch of mixed salt.

Pure NaCl sounds like the ticket.
I will have to google a bit more on it.
I wander if some chemistry experts can chime in with any pitfalls of this.

Thanks

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use IO - whole 50g bag in 44g brute... 1.026, 20mls of muratic brings dKh down to about 6.8 and a few tablespoons of dowflake brings the calcium to 425. There is not a salt on the planet that will mix to 1.026 and where I want the macro elements, so I would have to doctor anything, but it is easy and only takes a few seconds.

how much water are you filling the 44 gallon brute up with? I use a 44 gallon brute, and the top portion of the "bump" on the inside where the handle is, is about 40 gallons. Are you filling it up to like 2' below the rim of the brute and adding salt?

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What muratic acid do you use and what strength? How much does 20ml lower the ph? I use Reef Crystals and get an alk spike from weekly 10% water changes. RC is dkh of 13 and I try to keep mine at 8-8.4

OP
OP
Beats001

Beats001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Interesting ... so what if your Mg and Ca are also out?

OP
OP
Beats001

Beats001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry I reread, so you use a salt that has low Ca and Mg to start. What salt do you use?
I am using Aquaforest probiotic and i love the lowering effects it has on my nitrates and phosphates, so am reluctant to swap. It does make a lot of sense to have low macros at 1.026 and then add Ca, Mg and alk to it.
Have you ever put your SG to say 32 and then raised it with NaCl?

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I ask is because I need to have the salinity of my particular salt mix to be at 32 ppt to get the desired macro element levels, that match what I keep my tank at.

i'm curious...

what are the major parameter for your tank water at 32ppt?

what salt mix are you using?

J.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I reread, so you use a salt that has low Ca and Mg to start. What salt do you use?
I am using Aquaforest probiotic and i love the lowering effects it has on my nitrates and phosphates, so am reluctant to swap. It does make a lot of sense to have low macros at 1.026 and then add Ca, Mg and alk to it.
Have you ever put your SG to say 32 and then raised it with NaCl?
He uses regular Instant ocean.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Beats001

Beats001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm curious...

what are the major parameter for your tank water at 32ppt?

what salt mix are you using?

J.
If you are skill in math and chem - you can use this calculation tool in order to calculate how different compounds/salts will contribute to the salinity. I use this in order to check my salinity with help of Triton´s analyze of my major compounds - but with little skill and fantasy - I´m sure you can use this as a tool to solve your problem. The tool is from this homepage.

Sincerely Lasse
Good stuff, i'll check that out.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back