Salinity refractometer or meter, which to believe

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
yes you are correct in all your given facts but to a new person it's a bit overboard.

Not going to keep arguing with you.

If you think dissolving table salt in Ro/DI and using it the same way you already use Ro/DI is too complicated, then don't use it.

BRS

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Holy smokes! That’s a thing? What kind of a jerk would mess with calibration fluid? Some people…

I figured there might be differences in calibration fluids, and I wondered if they drifted between bottles/instruments/time. But I guess I always figured it would be close enough. 34-36 anything would work as long as it’s consistent. I guess I should pay just a little bit more attention to my salinity then I have been. Thanks for the help to all of us ;)

I've heard from vendors that's it's a thing, sadly.

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Sorry, I'm not following. If you are just adding salt and water to weight each time, why bother with the conductivity meter that is just "calibrated" to some unknown salinity that matches the 2.5 cups per gallon?

You do know that 35 ppt seawater cannot be made from 35 grams of salt mix plus 965 grams of RO/DI, right?
I’m not calibrating my probe by simply testing my weighed measurements, I use the Hanna Solution. I referenced this bc ppl think you need to calibrate every time you test your water. I guess you can, but thats not necessary, and if you feel like you have to do this every time to be accurate, then my belief is those ppl should change their testing method to something they can trust to be accurate without calibrating on every use. My “Method” is my redundancy to see if my sanity probe needs to be calibrated i.e.: if I get a result of 32ppt when mixing, its going to raise an eyebrow. I’d then check my calibration and retest the same water; if I get the same 32ppt reading, then I would determine that my weighing method isn’t 100% (which it has been 98% so far), and the cause would be the salt mix variation, which is not 100% each mix. Now would I change the scale on the next batch… nope, bc it was simply the mixture of the elements used when dissolved, not the practice itself. I bother with the meter bc I use it to check temp…I would still check even without the temp option on the probe, bc it would be dang lazy of me not to use the HANNA meter due to its simplicity.

Lol, yes, I am aware that 35 grams doesn’t equal 35ppt- that weight would almost be untraceable.

I’m just a Fan Boy of the HANNA or Milwaukee meters, and I don’t understand why ppl choose refractometers/hydrometers in this day and age, which is why I give my vote to go digital whenever the option is available.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I’m not calibrating my probe by simply testing my weighed measurements, I use the Hanna Solution. I referenced this bc ppl think you need to calibrate every time you test your water. I guess you can, but thats not necessary,

I certainly agree. My conductivity meter could not be calibrated, and in 10 years it never deviated when put into the reference solution. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Lol, yes, I am aware that 35 grams doesn’t equal 35ppt- that weight would almost be untraceable.

OK, just wanted to be sure, since a few folks made their own standards this way.

The main reason one cannot is that there's a lot of water in "dry" salt mix, and so putting 35 grams salt mix into 965 grams of water ends up with salinity well below 35 ppt due to much of that 35 grams added being water.

Fritz
Reef Diaper