Saltmix Parameters bring on the test results

Aquaforest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
For test to make sense and to be very precise we would like to have RODI water sample as well. The accuracy of the result depends on the water which we use to dissolve the salt.If the same RO water was used in all samples (to dissolve salt) please include only 1 sample of RO water (for example: 1 sample of RO water and 10 samples of dissolved salt)
If there were different sources/types of RO water used, please include all samples of RO water. (for example: 10 samples of RO water and 10 samples of dissolved salt)

The test to be reliable, prepare a sample using about 500g-1000g of salt ( in salinity 33-35ppt)

We look forward to receive a parcel from you!

Aquaforest

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, was going to get a sample mixed up last night but my mixing pump is no longer working right. I'll have to get another. My last little experiment in forcing a precipitation event took it's toll on it.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I posted this but I can't fins it in this thread or on another site. Life's been a bit crazy lately so not surprised I thought I did something that I didn't. Good thing for notebooks.

I mixed this up shortly after the red sea coral pro.

Coralife Marine mix. What they say their mix should result in
439cec650e950b9360e44a3bf41b5788.jpg

What I got at 35ppt
Ca: 500
Alk: 8.96
Mg: 1440

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that calculates out to around 34.25PSU

I'm surprised they report such low numbers on their box even if at 1.023. I like the Alk vs Ca/Mg.

So far all previous test results from 2009 are lining up with my results fairly well. This all really became a thing because someone mentioned those 2009 results are old and not relevant anymore. That and my own curiosity and new mixes that have come out since then particularly all the ad like posts for aquaforest.

Next set of tests will be sent off to Aquaforest as well so I will purposely not mention or post my results before hand.

The Rook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet. Just switched to AF and my tank is responding very well so far. Looking forward to seeing all the numbers on their Reef salt.

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious about the sulfate in the Aquaforest as well. The Triton results for my tank reported sulfate at 507 mg/L. I'm using the Probiotic Salt and Components 1+2+3+. I have tried asking Aquaforest where in their balling mix do they provide sulfide, but I have not receive a clear answer from them.

Triton also reported abnormally high Barium in my tank too - 267 ug/L. Maybe there is an impurity in the salt. I've also heard from a seawater testing company that it is common for ICP tests to report false high Barium levels in seawater. Why Aquaforest and not the others though? I don't know.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's only a single sample so it's very hard to say.

Keep in mind this thread is more about getting a general idea of what to expect. Not exactly what you'll get each time for every single person. There are way way to many variables to expect that.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that said I'm preparing a decent size batch of samples to be sent to Aquaforest as they expected to receive a batch of them at one time and not a single sample at a time. It will include their saltmixes as well. All labeled with unrelated designations.

So, through out this week I'll be mixing and testing quite a bit. I did get results in on a batch pretty quickly from them. Faster then I expected and in a easy to read format. Plus, it included what they tested my salinity at which was nice and did match up to what I tested at.

More to come on that.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

I got 6 samples prepared and tested last night. More to go and hope to have something shipped out Monday. That was a lot of work. lol

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted ENC labs yesterday to do a marine plus test and they said they are currently relocating office spaces so wouldn't be able to get tests done anytime soon.

They did say ICP-OES is tough to get accurate results of the trace elements.

"ICPOES is not the best technique for high TDS samples. ICPMS is better but now finding AA to be superior for many elements. Voltammetry is extremely sensitive for some elements but time-consuming."

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got two more saltmixes done last night. I have 3 more to go and I'm going to call it good. It's pretty time consuming which I'm short of right now.

Particularly using the protocol I've been using which I've stuck to since the beginning of this thread once I established a method I could repeat.

Then having to assure no cross contamination between making batches. The testing is the quickest part.

72192390226d5d3705aedf4239e3de3e.jpg

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious, once you're done and have all the results, which salt mix will you be using (or continue to use) for your own system? And what is your reasoning for using that particular brand?

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious, once you're done and have all the results, which salt mix will you be using (or continue to use) for your own system? And what is your reasoning for using that particular brand?

I still use basic IO. I do like the parameters given for Coralife. We'll see at the end of the day if my choice changes.

SewerynAquaforest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tests are in Aquaforest Lab. Results will be ready next week ;) I saw some results and they are strange ... But I didn't have time to look closer. Results will be send to Jason soon.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back