Saltwater tank cycling help

Tink90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I started my 10 gallon tank about 3 weeks ago and my parameters are as follows according to my API marine saltwater test kit:
Ammonia : . 50ppm
Nitrite: 0( last week it was at .50ppm)
Nitrate : .10 to .20 ppm(I can't really tell the color)
Mostly I am curious what you guys about where I am in the cycle and why my nitrite dropped to 0 before my ammonia did? Do you guys think I'm almost through the cycle? I am also experiencing a big diatom bloom right now. Thank you for the help ahead of time.

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the diatoms mean lots of nutrients hints the nitrates I would say your right in the middle of your cycle give it another two weeks and you probably be finished then once it’s done do a 20% water change to help get rid of the nitrates but only do this once your tank is finished cycling!!!

Upvote 0

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you compared your 0,5 reading of ammonia with a certified 0 reading, such as freshly made saltwater from RO/Di water ?

Just in case there is a problem with the ammonia test itself. It happens sometimes.

Upvote 0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle is done. Do a water change and add fish..

Welcome to the Dark Side..

Welcome.jpg

Upvote 0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
meme math battle

dosed bottle bacteria instantly able to carry bioload + waited long enough for diatoms + waited past day ten on a cycling charts ammonia line - using non digital test kits =
20201013_102948.png

Upvote 0

Steven27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed ammonia on Friday night current levels not sure why the nitrite levels are not matching the chart. The ammonia picture is from yesterday so roughly 24 hours after dosing ammonia I believe the ammonia level was around 1-2 ppm when I dosed. The other ammonia picture was 12 hours after dosing the ammonia on Friday. Not sure if the nitrite test is off.

Attachments

• 732B41F0-EFEF-4DD1-8136-93B981A5D394.jpeg
    732B41F0-EFEF-4DD1-8136-93B981A5D394.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 7488409A-5EFF-4C56-B900-FD717EC2629F.jpeg
    7488409A-5EFF-4C56-B900-FD717EC2629F.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 4C17B3C0-CFC2-4CA7-82BB-707650DE3401.jpeg
    4C17B3C0-CFC2-4CA7-82BB-707650DE3401.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 70255CDA-E8F3-4228-9C44-9D37F90A6B2C.jpeg
    70255CDA-E8F3-4228-9C44-9D37F90A6B2C.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 41
Upvote 0

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed ammonia on Friday night current levels not sure why the nitrite levels are not matching the chart. The ammonia picture is from yesterday so roughly 24 hours after dosing ammonia I believe the ammonia level was around 1-2 ppm when I dosed. The other ammonia picture was 12 hours after dosing the ammonia on Friday. Not sure if the nitrite test is off.
Your nitrite and nitrate tests agree and your ammonia level is now below the level which would be dangerous. Your tank is not fully cycled but probably safe. You got a pic of the tank?

Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steven

this thread was fixed and done, how did you pick this one to post in?

was it due to both tanks having clear diatoms, being older than ten days after using 24 hour bottle bac

always include in your new posts you used already live rock from a pet store it’s a critical detail.

Tink

an update here would be a pattern learning moment. Stevens tank is at the diatom stage, past cycling, like yours was.

here’s why we can’t tell someone’s cycle off a single set of api posts, but you knew that already GARF.

Tinks tank was cycled just like Stevens reef is cycled. Stevens tank is 50% already live rock, that’s an advantage and time speed detail vs all dry starts. By posting only api tests and giving no history on rocks, growths in the tank, each new post from Steven starts the assessments over anew but his tank is 100% cycled.

all concerns should be on disease prep, not reposting api numbers everyone agrees aren’t always right and in 100% of cases need tan conversion factored for the ammonia read.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this thread here today is comprised of two cycled reefs, there isnt any room for teaching doubt or toxicity.

Steven has filled up this nano with ammonia over and over because you guys won’t agree to tell him he’s done until that api is yellow. He’s reading metabolite stew, not free ammonia.

Steven has been taught 100% his ready tank isn’t ready, I’m not seeing six new posts in the disease forum as his concern (you teach nitrite false toxicity as the concern) so you’re adding to his false worry, bigtime hesitation and hyperfocus. It’s his first reef and all the training he’s got is from fear-based cycling science proponents. Zero training on disease prep.

Garf
you are very aware that nitrite has no basis in factor, not from any discovery you’ve made or reef article you’ve seen

You are aware that there is not any stalled ammonia control given all the details from a reef using skip cycle rock, and you know api misreads

What Steven needs more of is surface area, that’s a very barren degree of rock he has that I can’t find another tank his size using so little of—most have four times as much rock.

Steven also needs to change out this wastewater before he begins with starter corals and a clean up crew. Dont add fish till you have a normal degree of live rock Steven.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Steven27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nitrite and nitrate tests agree and your ammonia level is now below the level which would be dangerous. Your tank is not fully cycled but probably safe. You got a
Steven

this thread was fixed and done, how did you pick this one to post in?

was it due to both tanks having clear diatoms, being older than ten days after using 24 hour bottle bac

always include in your new posts you used already live rock from a pet store it’s a critical detail.

Tink

an update here would be a pattern learning moment. Stevens tank is at the diatom stage, past cycling, like yours was.

here’s why we can’t tell someone’s cycle off a single set of api posts, but you knew that already GARF.

Tinks tank was cycled just like Stevens reef is cycled. Stevens tank is 50% already live rock, that’s an advantage and time speed detail vs all dry starts. By posting only api tests and giving no history on rocks, growths in the tank, each new post from Steven starts the assessments over anew but his tank is 100% cycled.

all concerns should be on disease prep, not reposting api numbers everyone agrees aren’t always right and in 100% of cases need tan conversion factored for the ammonia read.
I was posting a new discussion and it gives you options based on similar posts. I figured it was a open forum not trying to complicate anyones discussion post.

Upvote 0

Steven27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this thread here today is comprised of two cycled reefs, there isnt any room for teaching doubt or toxicity.

Steven has filled up this nano with ammonia over and over because you guys won’t agree to tell him he’s done until that api is yellow. He’s reading metabolite stew, not free ammonia.

Steven has been taught 100% his ready tank isn’t ready, I’m not seeing six new posts in the disease forum as his concern (you teach nitrite false toxicity as the concern) so you’re adding to his false worry, bigtime hesitation and hyperfocus. It’s his first reef and all the training he’s got is from fear-based cycling science proponents. Zero training on disease prep.

Garf
you are very aware that nitrite has no basis in factor, not from any discovery you’ve made or reef article you’ve seen

You are aware that there is not any stalled ammonia control given all the details from a reef using skip cycle rock, and you know api misreads

What Steven needs more of is surface area, that’s a very barren degree of rock he has that I can’t find another tank his size using so little of—most have four times as much rock.

Steven also needs to change out this wastewater before he begins with starter corals and a clean up crew. Dont add fish till you have a normal degree of live rock Steven.
Adding more more rock wouldn’t cause any harm to the tank? A 20 percent water change? So your saying the api readings are incorrect? That the nitrite doesn’t matter and is low? Also changing out the water would lower the nitrate correct?

Upvote 0

Steven27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Garf

I also purchased these test strips the nitrite is not matching what the other test kit was indicating.

Attachments

• 6326E06E-B21D-4384-B178-DB205C583934.jpeg
    6326E06E-B21D-4384-B178-DB205C583934.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 80D23513-8956-407F-BC39-14224EE6A797.jpeg
    80D23513-8956-407F-BC39-14224EE6A797.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 27
Upvote 0

Steven27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Garf

Will adding more live rock from my lfs cause my parameters to increase such as ammonia and nitrites?

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back