Sam's Oceanic 120 - DIY solutions

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! So this morning I was trying to find a little magnetic frag shelf. But I couldn't find anything that would work well with my frags. I don't have a lot of frag plugs. Most of my stuff is either attached to a flat disk or rock rubble. Any magnetic frag shelf I found ,was just the standard plug kind with a flat shelf. I'd really like to be able to find a small magnetic shelf that has a lip around the edge of it, so my snails and hermits cant knock the frags that are mounted to disks and rock rubble, off the shelf. Maybe a better way to describe it would be a very shallow basket??? Holes in the bottom of the shelf/basket would still be good for water flow and if someone wanted to use it with frag plugs. Just throwing out an idea if you want a new 3D printing design project. I wasn't able to find anything to purchase like what I am looking for. Maybe because Im the only one that would want something like this LOL :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey! So this morning I was trying to find a little magnetic frag shelf. But I couldn't find anything that would work well with my frags. I don't have a lot of frag plugs. Most of my stuff is either attached to a flat disk or rock rubble. Any magnetic frag shelf I found ,was just the standard plug kind with a flat shelf. I'd really like to be able to find a small magnetic shelf that has a lip around the edge of it, so my snails and hermits cant knock the frags that are mounted to disks and rock rubble, off the shelf. Maybe a better way to describe it would be a very shallow basket??? Holes in the bottom of the shelf/basket would still be good for water flow and if someone wanted to use it with frag plugs. Just throwing out an idea if you want a new 3D printing design project. I wasn't able to find anything to purchase like what I am looking for. Maybe because Im the only one that would want something like this LOL :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I think that's a great idea! My stupid Lawnmower Blenny likes to "investigate" frag plugs and frequently knocks them off the shelf or rock work. I think he does it on purpose. I also see him carrying small pieces of rock rubble around like a dog with his ball occasionally. Maybe he thinks he's an Engineer Goby...

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think that's a great idea! My stupid Lawnmower Blenny likes to "investigate" frag plugs and frequently knocks them off the shelf or rock work. I think he does it on purpose. I also see him carrying small pieces of rock rubble around like a dog with his ball occasionally. Maybe he thinks he's an Engineer Goby...
Something like this?

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like this?
YES!!! however I would personally want one that doesn't stick out so much (less depth) so it can squeeze into my nano tanks

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
YES!!! however I would personally want one that doesn't stick out so much (less depth) so it can squeeze into my nano tanks
Give me some dimensions; I'll put one together. PM me your mailing address. Printing is free if you pay shipping and beta-test the first one and tell me what you think. Also get some good photos for https://ParlAquatics.com.

height too. and what magnet you want to use with it

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give me some dimensions; I'll put one together. PM me your mailing address. Printing is free if you pay shipping and beta-test the first one and tell me what you think. Also get some good photos for https://ParlAquatics.com.

height too. and what magnet you want to use with it
Sweet!!! I'll take some measurements tonight!!! and shoot you a PM once I have all the info!
This was fun! HAHA

banana lol GIF by Justin Gammon

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I cant tell you how much I've spent trying to find decent magnets at reasonable prices. I'm a fan of suction cups...
I've had too many suction cups fail. I'm a fan of magnets (but a magnet is what crashed the 75 so....)

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had too many suction cups fail. I'm a fan of magnets (but a magnet is what crashed the 75 so....)
yeah... this is now sending me down a worm hole of trying to find a magnet I would trust. Epoxy vs plastic coating etc....my head is spinning
I came across these

But I'm not trying to pay that much for a a single magnet plus their shipping. Any suction cups I have in my tank start failing quickly. :confused:

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess if you got the 3D printer you were considering, you could design and make your own magnet protectors they are selling. Here is the video describing them. Sounds like they 3D print the two pieces to encase the magnet and then seal it with waterproof silicone.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I guess if you got the 3D printer you were considering, you could design and make your own magnet protectors they are selling. Here is the video describing them. Sounds like they 3D print the two pieces to encase the magnet and then seal it with waterproof silicone.

That's more or less what I was considering. Thanks!

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah... this is now sending me down a worm hole of trying to find a magnet I would trust. Epoxy vs plastic coating etc....my head is spinning
I came across these

But I'm not trying to pay that much for a a single magnet plus their shipping. Any suction cups I have in my tank start failing quickly. :confused:
I've been using these with no short-term side effects.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
These come epoxy coated but....

They're skinnier and wider than what Aquarocks uses on their frag racks. Mine from them has 2 magnets approximately 20mm by maybe 6mm? Half inch glass and it's holding the rack.
IMG_20221024_102406264.jpg

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
how are you sealing your print? the prints are water soluble so encasing a magnet in PLA /PETG doesn't help.

You can put a pause in your gcode so when the printer gets to a certain spot it waits for you to put the magnets into the holes then you hit continue and the printer finishes the job.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
how are you sealing your print? the prints are water soluble so encasing a magnet in PLA /PETG doesn't help.

You can put a pause in your gcode so when the printer gets to a certain spot it waits for you to put the magnets into the holes then you hit continue and the printer finishes the job.
Like @rmorris_14 said, I'd consider using an aquarium safe silicone sealant or even gel super glue, although the super glue might not be water tight either.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 82.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back