Sand sifting fish

bobmakespancakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 13 gallon tank and I need something that will sift the sand for me I was looking at gobies but I saw that they can get big what would you suggest?

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fighting conch, yellow cucumber - if your sand is mature (AT LEAST 6 months with fish and other critters in the tank).

Nassarius snails are another option.

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nassarius and conchs would be my recommendation

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+3 for Nassarius, they are the only thing that has literally dug into + turned the sand. They spend 99% of their time fully submerged in the sand in my experience, occassionaly I see their little snorkel poking out of the sand bed.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found 2-3 go through my entire 32gal tank daily. They are very fast - for snails.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so is more or less better? my sand is very very bad
The only thing I would caution is while it is bad now, once they catch up any that can't be sustained will starve to death. In my experience adding smaller quantities of snails at a time and then adding more later (if needed) has worked best for my tank. 12 seems like a lot for a small tank like that but I guess it depends on other factors.

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.. do you want to sift your sand? Or clean it? I dont think nassarius snails will clean your sand. They just burrow under and come back up. I have a conch. It's really cool. It burrows in the sand and walks around eating algae from the sand, or detritus or anything. Only bad thing is they get on my rocks and bump my corals

OP
OP
bobmakespancakes

bobmakespancakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I would caution is while it is bad now, once they catch up any that can't be sustained will starve to death. In my experience adding smaller quantities of snails at a time and then adding more later (if needed) has worked best for my tank. 12 seems like a lot for a small tank like that but I guess it depends on other factors.
ok maybe ill try adding 1-4 and a conch for now then thanks!

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i had only 3 in my 20 gallon and they all starved eventually so i brought them back the my lfs

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one last question will hermit crabs or an emerald crab try to hurt any of these?
Nope. Actually not sure about the emerald crab. I had hermits with my nassarius snails. I got my emerald after the snails left, but the crab wont hurt the conch, and doesnt hurt my astrea snails, so should be fine

OP
OP
bobmakespancakes

bobmakespancakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Actually not sure about the emerald crab. I had hermits with my nassarius snails. I got my emerald after the snails left, but the crab wont hurt the conch, and doesnt hurt my astrea snails, so should be fine
ok thanks

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 'snail-only' so can't directly give advice. But from my understanding crabs should generally leave them alone unless they too are starving.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back