Sand turning red

BabyShark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticing my sand is turning red. Already tested my water for calcium, nitrate, nitrite, salinity, PH, and ammonia. They all came out fine. Temp kept between 78-80 degrees.
Also the heads of my euphillyas are falling off. Not sure what’s off with my tank. Any help would be appreciated! Still pretty new to the hobby.

B823592E-894A-4F10-81ED-A7D2D53BDD7E.jpeg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you described sounds like a dying coral, and the decaying biomass is creating a haven for cyanobacteria. Two separate issues. Why is my coral dying? How do I slow and reverse the cyanobacteria growth?

OP
OP
BabyShark

BabyShark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you described sounds like a dying coral, and the decaying biomass is creating a haven for cyanobacteria. Two separate issues. Why is my coral dying? How do I slow and reverse the cyanobacteria growth?
Wasn’t sure if these two things were related. Thanks for the input. So the Cyanobacteria is what makes the sand red? Is it harmful to my reef? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im more concerned about the dying coral than the cyano. What are your actual parameter numbers? How long has the tank been set up?

GooseCommander

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemiclean for the cyanobacteria. Don't mess around with it, it's a major pain and chemiclean is quick and safe. How old are the euphylia?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like inadequate light for the coral and I question your salt and calcium level.
Cyano easy to fight but first determine your tank conditions.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemiclean for the cyanobacteria. Don't mess around with it, it's a major pain and chemiclean is quick and safe. How old are the euphylia?

Chemiclean is awesome but there is a reason this tank isn't doing well and I'd like to figure out what it is

OP
OP
BabyShark

BabyShark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll give it a test whenever I’m able to buy one. It’s been hard to get my tank necessities since they put my state on lockdown. Hopefully my tank can hold up.
I’m also running a mechanical filter that I’ve been changing often. Could this be another reason for my tank to be doing poor? I’m currently looking into building a sump.

OP
OP
BabyShark

BabyShark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve also had my tank cycling for a while. Added corals about 6 months ago. The leathers, gsp, and zoa colonies seem to be okay. Everything else has died. Fish appear healthy.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back