Schnitzel's SPS

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the new reactor. Having such a big one will cut down on maintenance, which allows me to enjoy the hobby that much more. Win win for me. Geo really makes some great products. The new design with the pipe going into the side of the reactor is a nice improvement. I also really like the Sicce pumps as well. Very quiet and efficient.

Yea over the top is always a hassle, that’s definitely a nice improvement. Can I ask what you spent on it? I’ll definitely need the same size one with the 700g+ I have.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a4aa56594336b7a43e0c77cc4ed40535.jpg

e3024a7aae6acbe0631a7a861a1b662a.jpg

RRC blueberry wine

Wonderful photography.
This RRC Blueberry Wine stands out in grow pattern.
Love it.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance we could have a quick write up on filtration and a few pics? Curious on the system running this absolutely stunning tank. This is one of the nicest display tanks I've ever seen (40 years in this hobby). Congrats on this stunning work of living art !!!!

Also wandering if the tank is set up with true live rock or is it a new man made reef style rock?

Last edited:
OP
OP
SchnitzelReef

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea over the top is always a hassle, that’s definitely a nice improvement. Can I ask what you spent on it? I’ll definitely need the same size one with the 700g+ I have.

The reactor was around $700. Plus the second chamber which cost me another $100. Well worth the cost.

OP
OP
SchnitzelReef

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance we could have a quick write up on filtration and a few pics? Curious on the system running this absolutely stunning tank. This is one of the nicest display tanks I've ever seen (40 years in this hobby). Congrats on this stunning work of living art !!!!

Also wandering if the tank is set up with true live rock or is it a new man made reef style rock?

I think it’s all posted in the beginning of this thread, but I’ll go over it again.

I have a basic 3 compartment sump. Sump is fed from a bean animal overflow.

First chamber is an Aquamaxx skimmer. I had a Vertex, a bubble king, and an ATB. IMO high end skimmers are the biggest waste of money in this hobby. I get the same colors and same growth with this $400 Aquamaxx as I did with the my $1200 bubble king. Much rather spend money on a quality light fixture, calcium reactor, return pump, apex, and an ATO.

I haven’t ran a single filter sock in 3+ years. They are just a maintenance headache, and my tank looks just fine with out them.

Second chamber is a tiny fuge. I have a Tao Tronics grow led light I got off of amazon. I found a bunch of reefers using it, so I tried it out. I only keep chaeto in the fuge.
I also run 2 Tunze pumps in my sump to help keep detritus from building up. One in the fuge, and 1 in the skimmer section.

Third chamber is a Fluval SP6. The Fluval is an AC, non adjustable pump that uses an Askoll motor. Having a quality return pump is extremely important. Everyone now a days is running controllable DC return pumps. IMO adding a controller just adds another point of failure. No thanks! I have a manifold off the Fluval that feeds my calcium reactor. I also have a line that bleeds off extra flow back to the sump. The Fluval is a monster, almost too much flow.

I don’t run GFO, I don’t run bio pellets, and I rarely run carbon. I do have some extra live rocks in my sump, but it’s not much, and honestly i doubt it really does much. I did run Siporax at one point, but it just became a detritus trap, so I ditched them.

I run a Geo CR818 calcium reactor with a Geo second chamber. Everything is controlled by a classic apex.

I’m running an avast marine ATO that is also controlled by the apex. They have an option to plug in their ato to a break out box instead of a stand alone ato controller.

Water changes are done 40-50g at a time, and only when I have spare time. Currently it’s been almost 6 months since my last water change. I do think water changes help, but clearly they aren’t a necessity.

Flow in the tank is 2 mp60s, 2 Tunze 6095s, and 2 Tunze 6105s attached to sea sweeps.

I started the tank with all dry rock and dry sand. I used the cheapest dry rock from marine depot, I forgot what they called it. I did acid wash the rock, which I think helped from keeping the rock from leeching nasty stuff back into the tank. When I acid washed the rocks, all kinds of gunk came off them.

Not the biggest fan of starting with live rock. I went through a lot of headache making sure there wasn’t any bad hitchhikers going into this tank.

73375b0e714e3f53ae14003fdf53045a.jpg

f50f8aa473b59647bec66dfb34bb5e8d.jpg

10d67bcb31508d39bcfe6666939f02ad.jpg

Last edited:

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s all posted in the beginning of this thread, but I’ll go over it again.

I have a basic 3 compartment sump. Sump is fed from a bean animal overflow.

First chamber is an Aquamaxx skimmer. I had a Vertex, a bubble king, and an ATB. IMO high end skimmers are the biggest waste of money in this hobby. I get the same colors and same growth with this $400 Aquamaxx as I did with the my $1200 bubble king. Much rather spend money on a quality light fixture, calcium reactor, return pump, apex, and an ATO.

I haven’t ran a single filter sock in 3+ years. They are just a maintenance headache, and my tank looks just fine with out them.

Second chamber is a tiny fuge. I have a Tao Tronics grow led light I got off of amazon. I found a bunch of reefers using it, so I tried it out. I only keep chaeto in the fuge.
I also run 2 Tunze pumps in my sump to help keep detritus from building up. One in the fuge, and 1 in the skimmer section.

Third chamber is a Fluval SP6. The Fluval is an AC, non adjustable pump that uses an Askoll motor. Having a quality return pump is extremely important. Everyone now a days is running controllable DC return pumps. IMO adding a controller just adds another point of failure. No thanks! I have a manifold off the Fluval that feeds my calcium reactor. I also have a line that bleeds off extra flow back to the sump. The Fluval is a monster, almost too much flow.

I don’t run GFO, I don’t run bio pellets, and I rarely run carbon. I do have some extra live rocks in my sump, but it’s not much, and honestly i doubt it really does much. I did run Siporax at one point, but it just became a detritus trap, so I ditched them.

I run a Geo CR818 calcium reactor with a Geo second chamber. Everything is controlled by a classic apex.

I’m running an avast marine ATO that is also controlled by the apex. They have an option to plug in their ato to a break out box instead of a stand alone ato controller.

Water changes are done 40-50g at a time, and only when I have spare time. Currently it’s been almost 6 months since my last water change. I do think water changes help, but clearly they aren’t a necessity.

Flow in the tank is 2 mp60s, 2 Tunze 6095s, and 2 Tunze 6105s attached to sea sweeps.

I started the tank with all dry rock and dry sand. I used the cheapest dry rock from marine depot, I forgot what they called it. I did acid wash the rock, which I think helped from keeping the rock from leeching nasty stuff back into the tank. When I acid washed the rocks, all kinds of gunk came off them.

Not the biggest fan of starting with live rock. I went through a lot of headache making sure there wasn’t any bad hitchhikers going into this tank.

73375b0e714e3f53ae14003fdf53045a.jpg

f50f8aa473b59647bec66dfb34bb5e8d.jpg

10d67bcb31508d39bcfe6666939f02ad.jpg
the simplicity is just so impressive, thank you for going over it again, I thought I read the entire thread, I must have missed this portion. Hats off to you, one of the nicest displays I've ever seen.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back