OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food restock from @Reef Nutrition. I also feed R.O.E. and Oyster Feast which aren’t pictured

D828BEAE-368D-4FE6-B565-A7A46FCFCD92.jpeg

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the latest setup photos. Currently working on getting rid of cyano again. I’m hoping this will be the last time. My NO3 and phosphate have been steady with no spikes for almost 2 months

55ABC14E-976B-45C3-B543-AA3F66BBAC81.jpeg

13B74EE1-6506-48B0-83EF-9DB6627958DE.jpeg

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the latest setup photos. Currently working on getting rid of cyano again. I’m hoping this will be the last time. My NO3 and phosphate have been steady with no spikes for almost 2 months

55ABC14E-976B-45C3-B543-AA3F66BBAC81.jpeg

13B74EE1-6506-48B0-83EF-9DB6627958DE.jpeg
I hope you get rid of it soon! In my many years I have only had a cyano issue once. I used a little orange powder (chemi-clean??) and it wiped it out. Not sure why I’ve mostly avoided it, had plenty of other issues!

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you get rid of it soon! In my many years I have only had a cyano issue once. I used a little orange powder (chemi-clean??) and it wiped it out. Not sure why I’ve mostly avoided it, had plenty of other issues!
I’ve used chemi-clean each time and it works fantastic. Just seems like the cyano creeps back one way or another. I think my tank just has to mature more

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knocked my bottle of Phyto off the counter. Spilled a ton and the cap broke. That was fun to clean up, especially since it smells awful

Stink Rona GIF

cconnolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the reef nutrition Phyto feast is very concentrated. And I use the dead version since it lasts longer
How do you like it? I’ve been using the AlgaeBarn stuff but thinking of switching over to reef nutrition since my lfs will get it for me and remove having to deal with shipping each month

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like it? I’ve been using the AlgaeBarn stuff but thinking of switching over to reef nutrition since my lfs will get it for me and remove having to deal with shipping each month
Works well. I’ve been using it for 7 months now. My feather dusters are happy and it helps feed my pods in my refugium. I used algae barn’s for a short stint too and it wasn’t too bad. I just didn’t like that I would have to refill every two months

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blenny passed away yesterday. I had an emergency thread, but we weren't able to save him. It appears to have been some sort of internal parasite which caused him to become skinny and have buoyancy issues. I was gone over the weekend and didn't see the start of whatever happened.

Also, my cleaner shrimp is missing again. This is the second one that has vanished from thin air. Both the shrimp and blenny were fine for almost two months

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blenny passed away yesterday. I had an emergency thread, but we weren't able to save him. It appears to have been some sort of internal parasite which caused him to become skinny and have buoyancy issues. I was gone over the weekend and didn't see the start of whatever happened.

Also, my cleaner shrimp is missing again. This is the second one that has vanished from thin air. Both the shrimp and blenny were fine for almost two months
I’ve had fish waste away. Hard to watch. Never successfully saved one once it got skinny. The one I regret the most was a mated pair of starry blennies. They would lay eggs and were so cool to watch, but the female starting losing weight after about 6 months. I think I’ve had success avoiding it by using anti parasite meds in QT before going into the main tank, or maybe I’ve just been lucky. I hate losing fish.

Sorry for your loss.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had fish waste away. Hard to watch. Never successfully saved one once it got skinny. The one I regret the most was a mated pair of starry blennies. They would lay eggs and were so cool to watch, but the female starting losing weight after about 6 months. I think I’ve had success avoiding it by using anti parasite meds in QT before going into the main tank, or maybe I’ve just been lucky. I hate losing fish.

Sorry for your loss.
I think moving forward I may do a more aggressive QT routine

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ll, the second run of chemi-clean this week hasn’t kicked the cyano to the curb. I’m thinking my RODI water must not be coming out clean or there is something up with out of whack parameters other than the usual ones. I’m going to try an ICP test in the next few weeks possibly

Phosphate and NO3 have been steady for months and I try to do water changes at least every other week.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed some of my corals receding and I assumed it was because of the chemi-clean. However, after doing a water change and testing parameters after that, I saw that my Calcium was 405 and my Mg was 1215. They are normally 440 and 1350 or so. It appears that All For Reef might not be keeping up with my Ca and Mg demands even though my Alk is steady. I’ll monitor more closely and see if I need to supplement additional Ca and Mg moving forward

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed some of my corals receding and I assumed it was because of the chemi-clean. However, after doing a water change and testing parameters after that, I saw that my Calcium was 405 and my Mg was 1215. They are normally 440 and 1350 or so. It appears that All For Reef might not be keeping up with my Ca and Mg demands even though my Alk is steady. I’ll monitor more closely and see if I need to supplement additional Ca and Mg moving forward
Interesting. I run 8.5-8.8 dkh, and found my calcium about 500 and Mg at 1400 with ICP. I am using AFR during the day and Kalk at night. Calcium is a little high, but not a danger I think.

I don’t think your parameters are low enough to tick off the corals, but definitely on the low side. Probably chemiclean made them mad, like you said. I’d probably test freshly mixed SW to see what that is. What salt are you using?

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I run 8.5-8.8 dkh, and found my calcium about 500 and Mg at 1400 with ICP. I am using AFR during the day and Kalk at night. Calcium is a little high, but not a danger I think.

I don’t think your parameters are low enough to tick off the corals, but definitely on the low side. Probably chemiclean made them mad, like you said. I’d probably test freshly mixed SW to see what that is. What salt are you using?
I use Red Sea Coral Pro which mixes to 11.5 dKh 450 Ca 1450

Back