Scolymia Help

Peter Hand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently started my scoly exposing some skeleton... also it has not grown much in size since I had it which is about 6 months ago. I feed my tank Reefroids a few times a week . Not sure what the problem could be ? I also have a "button scoly" I figured it would have grown but nope it's still the size of a button ! Anyone have any advise ?
acba2c8b4f942dae24cd9034a56a5d39.jpg
5dc92c0836b243cc795b477e513cf722.jpg
9e54d39b0008d3af07ec67f37e008e74.jpg

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several Scoly's one which was a rescue from the LFS with roughly half of the skeleton showing. Just my two cents, but if water quality is correct they need to be fed and I'm unsure Reef Roids is going to be enough. Maybe try 3-4 Mysid shrimp when you have a slight feeding response 2-3 times a week. My experience is that they really don't grow that much in size with respect to their diameter, at least mine have not in 5 years.

OP
OP
Peter Hand

Peter Hand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several Scoly's one which was a rescue from the LFS with roughly half of the skeleton showing. Just my two cents, but if water quality is correct they need to be fed and I'm unsure Reef Roids is going to be enough. Maybe try 3-4 Mysid shrimp when you have a slight feeding response 2-3 times a week. My experience is that they really don't grow that much in size with respect to their diameter, at least mine have not in 5 years.
Thanks for the reply! I recently starting feeding it large sinking pellets. I hope it helps, only issue is that my hermits also steal the food from it. But hoping that it helps, i would like to get more scolys but have been hesitant because this one isnt thriving. Meanwhile my monti's and acros are thriving so it must need to be fed.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! I recently starting feeding it large sinking pellets. I hope it helps, only issue is that my hermits also steal the food from it. But hoping that it helps, i would like to get more scolys but have been hesitant because this one isnt thriving. Meanwhile my monti's and acros are thriving so it must need to be fed.

I used half of a soda bottle to cover a sun coral colony to protect it from the scavengers while target feeding.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used half of a soda bottle to cover a sun coral colony to protect it from the scavengers while target feeding.
Nice idea. The cleanup crew can steal food away from corals so fast. Will try this. Thanks!
As for the scoly, you've had it for a while and I have one and it is growing but they don't seem to grow fast. I see you have an AIO system. Water parameters can play a part in the scoly's shrinking. It is definitely stressed. Water flow may be an issue. Not sure if you are using carbon or dosing. A scoly will benefit from it.

OP
OP
Peter Hand

Peter Hand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice idea. The cleanup crew can steal food away from corals so fast. Will try this. Thanks!
As for the scoly, you've had it for a while and I have one and it is growing but they don't seem to grow fast. I see you have an AIO system. Water parameters can play a part in the scoly's shrinking. It is definitely stressed. Water flow may be an issue. Not sure if you are using carbon or dosing. A scoly will benefit from it.
my parameters are great. I dose Red Sea Foundation daily... Plenty of flow.... Not 100% sure what the issue could be

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had several like this scoly mine are all fat and healthy now after feeding them through my method.
Target feed the scoly. Covering it up so nothing can get to the food is key. I have a clear acrylic tube that I put over the scoly, like the soda bottle idea, to target feed I can add food and no food gets out. The tube is taller thanthe height of my tank so I can add food with out removing the tube.
I put in thawed pe calanus first and let it float for several minutes. You use a turkey Baster to agitate the food so it stays suspended in the water column. Don't blast the scoly you will rip its flesh off. any other frozen food or maybe other floating food, for example reef chili, should work just so you can keep it floating in the water column. After 5-15 minutes you should see the scoly tentacles come out. Then you can target feed something bigger like a few pe mysis. Again let the scoly eat the mysis, 5-30 minutes. You will enjoy how beautiful the scoly is when its tentacles come out and it body swells up and eats the food.
Go easy at first you may not see much of a response and if you over feed to much early you can hurt as well. You can start with just the small floating food at first 2-3 times a week. You just want to train it to start the feeding response. Over time you can increase feeding. I don't have any crabs in my system and my fish go crazy with the tube because they see all the food in the tube and can't get to it. Once the scoly eats take out the tube abd the food still in the tube feeds the tank.
Good luck.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back