Seachem tidal and corals

Xavier salt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to make the jump from freshwater. After almost a years research I have finally decided to dive in. I want to do a reef nano tank, with mostly corals. My knowledge on them is limited although I will always study anything before buying it. I have bought a 150 ltr (40 G?) Tank. A sump is not possible so I am wondering if anyone has had experience growing corals using a seachem tidal filter and any sort of nano skimmer. I'm looking at buying a JAD DG 2516 hob skimmer later down the track. Stock will likely have 4 or 5 fish and a few inverts but mostly corals. Thanks in advance, any advice is appreciated.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go easy on the fish, they will push the filtration system you propose.

I have a 16g tank with RFAs, some corals (including a difficult sps coral) along with porcelain crabs and sexy shrimp... only one very tiny fish. The tank has just a HOB filter (I put a slice of filter sock between two sponge filters) and a Tunze in tank skimmer.

This set up has been running for 9 months now and is doing just fine.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can manage any tank with hob equipment if chosen properly. The Tidal is the best hob filter. I would suggest not to get a nano skimmer, and get a real hob work horse. I live the Eshopos hob skimmers, look into something like that or similar. Another hob must have is either a hob refugium or an algae reactor, the use of macro algae is the best thing you can do for your tank. With the Tidal, a real work horse skimmer, and the addition of macro alga; with the proper lighting of course, you can grow anything you want.

OP
OP
X

Xavier salt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can manage any tank with hob equipment if chosen properly. The Tidal is the best hob filter. I would suggest not to get a nano skimmer, and get a real hob work horse. I live the Eshopos hob skimmers, look into something like that or similar. Another hob must have is either a hob refugium or an algae reactor, the use of macro algae is the best thing you can do for your tank. With the Tidal, a real work horse skimmer, and the addition of macro alga; with the proper lighting of course, you can grow anything you want.

Great advice thank you very much

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to make the jump from freshwater. After almost a years research I have finally decided to dive in. I want to do a reef nano tank, with mostly corals. My knowledge on them is limited although I will always study anything before buying it. I have bought a 150 ltr (40 G?) Tank. A sump is not possible so I am wondering if anyone has had experience growing corals using a seachem tidal filter and any sort of nano skimmer. I'm looking at buying a JAD DG 2516 hob skimmer later down the track. Stock will likely have 4 or 5 fish and a few inverts but mostly corals. Thanks in advance, any advice is appreciated.

Howd the tank turn out?

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya im curious too after reading...hopefully we get a response lol

Looks like a couple of dummies talked him out of it. I swear this site drives away 100x more reefers than it attracts

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meh. Take what you will. I'd rather have different peoples POV than not. At the end of the day, if your really motivated to succeed in this hobby you have to do your research.

I own a 65G and use a cannister filter with no skimmer lol...no real big issues for me (yet?).

I reach out on here mostly for people's POV. If you go to your LFS you end up getting someone's perspective, then another time another person's. Same thing as this place lol.

Sad, if the person didn't fulfill his dream to have a saltwater tank. Maybe we can convince him again? Lol

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use hob equipment or even just live rock and a power head and no mechanical filtration at all. All that filtration is optional, there are many ways to run a reef tank.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a 20 gal tall no sump. Old AC 30 filter, HOB refugium with macro algae, and a XP aqua sumpless ato. Good to go so far! We make do with what we have to.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks like a couple of dummies talked him out of it. I swear this site drives away 100x more reefers than it attracts
That’s not the same OP? Interesting take calling others with a different opinion than yours dumb.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thats so sad I dont understand why people talk to newcomers to the hobby like its impossible to keep coral it doesnt help anyone ...
Ya. Sad indeed. Maybe they will respond to the resurrection and we can help him or her get started :)

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a 20 gal tall no sump. Old AC 30 filter, HOB refugium with macro algae, and a XP aqua sumpless ato. Good to go so far! We make do with what we have to.
I dont even know what a refugium is lol and my tanks been up for over a year lol
20210210_161818.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back