Sealab No 28?

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Reefer Obsessed, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Reefer Obsessed

Reefer Obsessed Active Member

Sealab No 28; sounds like Chanel No 5. <g>. I had an experienced reefer tell me to use Sealab No 28 blocks instead of dosing? What are the pros and cons? What is your experience and opinion? I have 100g with live rock and fish only but want to start adding corals. Thanks

Tags:

2. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Old school.
    Its a slow dissolving block. What I dont know, is does it evenly dose alkalinity. Its not a measured dose is the difficulty. If you were to use one and supplement with water changes it would likely be fine assuming is takes care of alkalinity as well.

following along.

3. Reefer Obsessed

Thanks for your reply. I did additional research but couldn't find any evidence based practices. I was almost like snake oil in that it fixed everything. I had an older reefer tell me it was what he used but he only has softies in his tank so it may work well for him. I will keep my eyes out for additional info before I use in my tank. Thanks again.

saltyfilmfolks likes this.
  4. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

You bet. Let me know

5. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor

It is nothing like it claims. All it does is slowly dissolve and release stuff, whether your tank needs it or not.

6. pickupman66

pickupman66 Valuable Member MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor

OLD school product. I used them WAY back in the day. just as randy said, they dissolve whether your tank needed it or not. In their hay day, they were great because we didn't have good testing, and didn't have good dosing products. I still have a box of the blocks in my closet just waiting to be dropped in.

7. Reefer Obsessed

Thanks guys for the info. I wondered why if they were so wonderful everyone wasn't using them. It is now confirmed by the experts and the experienced. It's a no go for me. I'll not be risking overdosing and/or under dosing. Another Newbie saved by the experts and experienced. Ya'll are just great with the quick and easily understood answers. Glad I asked.

mdbannister and saltyfilmfolks like this.
  8. mcarroll

mcarroll PM me R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Always wondered about these....just stumbled on this thread. Never seen them for sale, so never tried them myself.

Sounds like these things should work (seems comparable to Tropic Marin's "all in one" called Bio Calcium) as long as you don't throw your test kits in the trash for no apparent reason when you buy the blocks. :p (You have to test intensively when starting any dosing regime, so that would not be unique to these things.)

I seem to recall from a magazine article or something that you'd situate them closer to or further from a flow source to modulate the rate of dissolution. And unlike a liquid suplement, you can take it out if testing indicates that it's going too fast.

Interesting!

9. madweazl

madweazl Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Holy cow, didnt realize they were still around! I used these from about '97 to '07 or or so. They worked great for me but the tank was softies, clams (derasa and crocea), along with a few LPS. As stated above, we'd move them in and out of the flow until we found a sweet spot which was pretty easy in a time where many of us watched our inhabitants more than our test kits.

mcarroll likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted