Seeking Advice

cpllongjk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I am in the process of setting up my new tank, a Waterbox Frag 105.4 (48x24x16) lagoon style tank.
However, my biggest concerns are lighting as I have all other gear from previous builds.

Currently I own a single Radion XR15 G4 Pro that was used on a previous nano-tank.

The options Ive been researching are:
Add a 2nd used XR15 G4 Pro
2x XR15 G5 Blues or Pros
2x Neptune Skys (I love the idea that taking pictures doesnt require blue filters)

My limiting factors are:
Due to the lagoon style tank I want to be able to look top down as well as from the sides and front.
I am looking for maximum coverage for a well balanced mixed reef with sps.
I prefer a whiter looking tank (have always loved the radium bulb look solo with no supplementation).
I am not able hang the lights from the ceiling because my ceiling is vaulted and at an angle over the tank.

Any advice you could give would be great. I just set up the tank yesterday and have lots of time to make a decision.

Jared

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding a second G4 Pro makes the most economic sense to me. The G5 isn't significantly better to make shelling out for two of them worth it. I'm of similar opinion for the Neptune, that's a lot of cash for not much 'gain.'

When you say "(I love the idea that taking pictures doesnt require blue filters)", what do you mean? I'm fairly certain you can adjust the Radions to a more 'white' setting such that you wouldn't need blue filters either. I don't think there's something unique about the Neptune's lights.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably go with a pair of XR15 G5s Blues, but if you prefer your existing XR15 G4 Pro then adding a second would be your cheapest option. RMS mounts for the Radions will be your best bet. 2x SKYs will give you the best coverage (possibly a bit too much), but also the most expensive. And then you need to figure out how to mount them.

@Gedxin is correct - you can easily add more “white” through the Radions if so desired.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back