Semi-newbie with a problem

littlemacros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have a identification situation i need some help with.

First, I want to introduce myself. My name's Alissa, and I'm from Michigan. I was in th reef hobby for a few years. For 3 years I had a 65 gallon deep sandbed reeftank that I set up in a way that I only had to do fresh water top offs for evaporation as well as a 2.5 gallon pico tank for dwarf seahorses. My tank was going beautiful for years until I had to move and take it down.
Recently with the whole covid situation, I decided to restart my hobby as I have nothing better to do and miss it and figies nows as good of a time as any.
So I've been running my pico for about 3 weeks now, with just life rock and live sand (I like to build the take up slowly). I've been watching my live rock for critters and so far I have discovered only a few small bristle worms(which I dont mind). I also have a very large iridescent clam worm(looks like a very large bristle worm but is iridescent like mother of pearl) I'm pretty sure thats what it is...
My troubles thoough are with this new worm I've discovered...or I think its a worm? I need help with some identification on it. It is smooth with no hairs, bristles or bumps. Its about 3 or 4 inches long when streched out. It grabs/bites/mabey sucks? at the rock and looks like its swallowing sand and stuff(im hoping not critters). It's bottom half looks lighter, kinda reminds me of an earth worm. I thought it might be a snail or clam at first but it moves around almost like a snake. Any help would be lovely!

20200524_210133.jpg 20200524_210111.jpg 20200524_205716.jpg 20200524_205851.jpg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Alissa! I'm not too sure what the worm is, but someone will be here who will know! If not, the hitchhiker forum is where all our weird discovery sleuths hang out!

OP
OP
littlemacros

littlemacros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everybody, I'm keeping my fingers crossed we get to the bottom of this. @SandJ I just googles peanut worms and I does look kinda similar to some of then but mine is lighter. Do they come i different colors? And is a peanut worm harmful?
...I also have this worm(i thiought might be a clam worm? It is also about 3 inches long but its iridescent like mother of pearl. I honestly think its kinda cool. Doesnt anyone know if this guy is reef safe too?

Now its a double worm identification session.

20200524_212041.jpg 20200524_212220.jpg 20200524_212130.jpg

OP
OP
littlemacros

littlemacros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Not sure if it’s reef safe or not but I know that you probably wouldn’t have to feed it, worms are usually scavengers.

Well thats good news, thank you! I don't mind him in my tank if he's safe... I'm just concerned about problems raising with other future animals in the tiny 2 gallon space. As of right now I have no plans for any fish in the pico (I'm more of a corals, invertebrates and macros kind of gal) but I do plan on putting several small shrimps, crabs, snails and such in it though so I'm a little concerned about these two big worms. Lol Is there a peanut worm forum? Or do you know anyone who might have some experience with these guys?

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! @AcroNem, Are peanut worms reef safe in nano tanks? If so, what should I feed it? If not, how do i remove it from inside the rock? I guess I have some research to look forward to

Just a harmless scavenger. I think they're pretty cool

OP
OP
littlemacros

littlemacros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SandJ I thought bristle worms were gray and red like the picture I've attached. The worm in my tank has rainbow coloring... the picture doesn't do it justice but it's very iridescent. I've never had a bristle worm this big either. Are there different types of bristle worms?

images.jpeg

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thats good news, thank you! I don't mind him in my tank if he's safe... I'm just concerned about problems raising with other future animals in the tiny 2 gallon space. As of right now I have no plans for any fish in the pico (I'm more of a corals, invertebrates and macros kind of gal) but I do plan on putting several small shrimps, crabs, snails and such in it though so I'm a little concerned about these two big worms. Lol Is there a peanut worm forum? Or do you know anyone who might have some experience with these guys?
I don’t think there’s a peanut worm forum but I don’t think it’s something to worry about. Maybe if you get too many bristleworms or they get too big then it could be a worry. In that small of tank, I would just always wear gloves and you won’t have to worry about getting poked by one of the worms.

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you really would have an issue with any of the worms unless they got too big. I’d just be worried about you sticking your hands in the tank without gloves in such a small tank. Just wear gloves and you’ll be all good.

Back