Setting up my first reef tank need advice.

Mpkid911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so im been planning and setting up my first reef tank now for about the last month and a half. Ive been reading up on everything I could. So far i have purchased quite a bit and believe i am almost ready to get my tank cycling. My questions are, im not exactlynsure what to put into my sump, or if i should do a refugium style, and if this eqiupment will suffice and what else would people recommened to make it more stable. Heres a list of everything that I have now:
55 gallon standard tank
Eshopps pf-1000 overflow
Eshopps sump (30 gallon?)
E.T.S.S. sump (20 galllon?)
2 hydor koralia nano 565 pumps
Remora aqua c protein skimmer w/maxijet 1200 pump
Approx 50lbs of live rock(sitting in saltwater with a maxijet pump)
Box of instant ocean salt
2- 165w ebay black box led lights
BRS 4 stage value plus ro/di unit
Innovative marine hydrofill pump

Now im not sure if this is right but could i use the hydrofill pump with another brand of ato controller?
Any advice and recommendations are greatly appreciated at this is my first saltwater tank setup and i am definately trying to do it right.
I will be posting pictures as i start my journey into the wonderful world of the reef tank!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so im been planning and setting up my first reef tank now for about the last month and a half. Ive been reading up on everything I could. So far i have purchased quite a bit and believe i am almost ready to get my tank cycling. My questions are, im not exactlynsure what to put into my sump, or if i should do a refugium style, and if this eqiupment will suffice and what else would people recommened to make it more stable. Heres a list of everything that I have now:
55 gallon standard tank
Eshopps pf-1000 overflow
Eshopps sump (30 gallon?)
E.T.S.S. sump (20 galllon?)
2 hydor koralia nano 565 pumps
Remora aqua c protein skimmer w/maxijet 1200 pump
Approx 50lbs of live rock(sitting in saltwater with a maxijet pump)
Box of instant ocean salt
2- 165w ebay black box led lights
BRS 4 stage value plus ro/di unit
Innovative marine hydrofill pump

Now im not sure if this is right but could i use the hydrofill pump with another brand of ato controller?
Any advice and recommendations are greatly appreciated at this is my first saltwater tank setup and i am definately trying to do it right.
I will be posting pictures as i start my journey into the wonderful world of the reef tank!
Looks like a great start to me!

Are you going to run a QT system? I recommend it but realize many new to the hobby don't. A simple 10g tank, cheap HOB filter (upsized), small heater and stock light is all it takes. My first QT system only cost $60. When you compare that to the price of the fish, it is a cheap safety measure. Also a great idea to get some of the basic meds on hand before you stock your tank. Many fish come to us sick and you may not have time to order the meds you need.

Speaking of... make sure you have test kits for at least pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate for your cycle. I also recommend getting pure ammonia to start your cycle with. Using a bacteria additive is strictly up to you. Eventually you want to test for Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium, and Phosphates.

I love the fact that I have a refugium. My pod population in my DT is great largely because of it. I have also used it to grow Ogo (macro algae) to feed to my fish. They loved it.

I do have a few questions. Were you just not comfortable drilling the tank which is why you decided to go with the overflow? It's a reasonable concern but wanted to make sure you had at least considered drilling the tank yourself.

I believe that is an HOB style skimmer. If you run a sump I would think you would be better off in the long run using an in sump variety.

My sump has a return that goes into a sock filter (I only use a sock when the water needs it). The next section has my skimmer and heaters. The third section is my refugium with rock and chaeto along with my pH, Temp, and ground probes. The last section has my return pump. Very simple but it works for me.

OP
OP
Mpkid911

Mpkid911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about drilling the tank and was considering it, i may drill it in the near future. And ues it is a hob skimmer, are the in tank skimmers that much better? Thanks for recommending the meds, i didnt even think about that at all. I actually have some dr. Tims one and omly i use on my freshwater. Enoch is livr nitrofing bacteria. Would that also work for a reef tank? That sump setep sounds similiar to what i was thinking as well. I was looking at 2 return pumps a rio 2500 and a lifegard aquatics that was around the same gph.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about drilling the tank and was considering it, i may drill it in the near future. And ues it is a hob skimmer, are the in tank skimmers that much better? Thanks for recommending the meds, i didnt even think about that at all. I actually have some dr. Tims one and omly i use on my freshwater. Enoch is livr nitrofing bacteria. Would that also work for a reef tank? That sump setep sounds similiar to what i was thinking as well. I was looking at 2 return pumps a rio 2500 and a lifegard aquatics that was around the same gph.
My thoughts are that if you are going to do it, do it now. Or wait for a $1/gallon petco sale in case something goes wrong! :cool: Again, far from a requirement, but it does save some overflow concerns.

I've never used an HOB skimmer so I can't speak to its effectiveness. I'm just not sure you can get it to work in a sump very well because of the design. You can always mount it on the back of the tank but imo one of the big benefits of a sump is that it hides all your equipment.

Reef 450

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOB skimmers are not very good. I have used them and when I put a skimmer in the sump there was a major difference

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back