Setting up quarantine. What do I need on hand?

micahsoft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my Biocube 32 tank going now. Not much In it other than clean up crew and a tree coral that hitchhiked in. But after reading so many posts I’m starting to see the benifits of a quarantine tank. I originally wasn’t going to do one do to space limitations. I have very little room to run an extra tank like this at the moment, but after seeing all the thinks that can go wrong I’m thinking of making the room. I only plan on two clowns for now and maybe 1 other fish down the road. Mostly corals and invertebrates.

1) what size will I need? I have a 10 gallon lying around, but could I get by with smaller? Even a 5 gallon pail?

2) can I easily tear down/set up the tank so I can save space?

3) what medications and water additives should I always keep a supply of? This could be for the quarantine tank or additives for the DT as well. Just anything I should always keep on hand.

3) what equipment do I need? Do the corals need a specific light, or will any light do during quarantine process? I’d like to keep this tanks as cheap and small as possible. I know I need ammonia alert badges. I can use one of the cheap power heads I use to mix saltwater and my extra heater. I assume a sponge filter is best ( any recommendations on a specific one?). Anything else I’m missing?

4) Are there any obvious questions I’m forgetting to ask?

Thank you for any help you can give.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
micahsoft

micahsoft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks. I had actually read this post. Took the time to re-read it a couple more times. Unfortunately it seems to pertain mostly to fish. I’ll mostly be quarantine corals and invertebrates once I get my clowns in.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back